What do these mean?

Discussion in 'U.K. Forces General' started by Sis, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

My Dad's Soldier's Service & Pay Book is in an Army Will envelope and on the front of the envelope it give his Soldier's Regimental number 1550117 his name John Bonner and stamped next to Corps is R. A. (C.D. & A.A.). Also stamped in the corner is a triangle with A.C. Corps in it. Going by his medical information he had been with them since at least April 1940 and he did a couple of cooking courses in 1941 & 1942 in Glasgow (he was born in Glasgow).

There is no other information in the book, apart from some dates he took leave, so can anyone please tell me what they think the abbreviations that I have put in bold mean. I think I know but would like to see what others think.

2. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

Could that be Royal Artillery (Coastal Defence & Anti Aircraft)?

My dad was in the Royal Artillery doing something of that sort - there might be something similar on his pay book, but it would take me ages to find it.

I don't know how things were organised, but from a layman's perspective, it seems feasible that someone in the Army Catering Corps (my guess for A.C. Corps, which would fit in with his training courses) could be seconded to more or less any military establishment.

kernowmaid, Half Hour and Sis like this.
  3. Sis

Thanks very much @arthurk. That's what I thought they meant and the Coastal Defence & Anti Aircraft fits in with him meeting my Mum in Kent. Well, to my mind it does. I wonder if that's where he stayed for the duration of the war. I guess the best way to find out is to try for his service record.

Half Hour and arthurk like this.
  4. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

By coincidence, I have an abbreviations list on my desk sent to me with my dad's army records.

AC - Army Contracts; ACC - Army Catering Corps... Arthur spot-on above, I'd say.

Half Hour, Sis and arthurk like this.
  5. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

Having looked a bit further, I think it might actually be Coast Defence rather than Coastal Defence.

Sis likes this.
  6. Sis

Thank you both.:)

arthurk likes this.