1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was a Rag & Bone Man?

Discussion in 'Other Occupations & Trades' started by kernowmaid, Sep 20, 2017.

1. wendymac

wendymac Well-Known Member

When I was little in the 60s we had a Rag and Bone man came round:D
    He use to ring a bell and shout “Rag - Bone”. He always gave a new pack of the wooden dolly pegs in return for the clothes etc we gave him - happy days:p

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  2. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Well-Known Member

One of my chums desperately wanted a goldfish so he decided his mother's largest saucepan was beyond it and ought to go. To his cost, the rag and bone man was scrupulously honest. "Excuse me missus, do you really want to throw this saucepan away, it looks perfectly OK to me" The mother immediately found some rags to give him, but said she did not want a goldfish for them. My chum went without his supper as well. :(

Bay Horse, Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  3. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

I wish the knife grinder still came around. I don't remember him (Mum did) but I never ever have a sharp knife. I have almost every kind of sharpening device from steels to gizmos, really expensive knives 'cos son said he was fed up with carving the Sunday roast with blunt knives but they remain steadfastly blunt.

4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Me too Sue, I have these garden shears, they were my DAd's so probably should be retired but I keep getting them out & having a go. trouble is I find them a bit heavy & awkward to use. I need a little battery operated clipper thingy.

Blackmogs and Archie's Mum like this.
  5. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

But then you run out of charge, just when you need to use it.
    Every time the carving knife came out of the kitchen draw, so the steel. My dad was obsessed with sharp tools. A man could have a very close shave on every cutting tool my Dad owned. Low and behold if you borrowed his razor to do the legs......:eek:

Blackmogs and Ma-dotcom like this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

My fella is keen on the 'steel' too if ever he has his former butchering knives out----not often happily. Meanwhile it hangs inside the pantry door & clatters when I go inside.
    Current t.v. cooks will tell us the steel was just polish the blade after sharpening it on a 'stone'. My Dad had a 'stone' in use for all of his sharp tools. [carpentry etc.]

Blackmogs likes this.
  7. Joan Archer

Joan Archer New Member

Long time since I've visited, ill health and other things keep getting in the way of me trying to keep up with all my forums.

Anyway my dad was a rag and bone man, this was in the 50's he had a horse and cart. At one time he sold firewood but went on to be the local rag and bone man in the area, this was Nottingham, he was also called a General Merchant. During the petrol strikes, think it was either the late 50's or early 60's he used to do deliveries for a big painting and decorating shop in the middle of Nottingham, think it was called Robinsons, and also for Boots main plant in Beeston. You didn't need petrol for a horse and cart. :D

Blackmogs, Nightryder, Chimp and 6 others like this.