What was Broadholm?

Discussion in 'Derbyshire' started by annabel, Jan 11, 2022.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

I have discovered that Broadholm, near Belper (sometimes with an E but not to be confused with the Broadholme not in Derbyshire) was a little hotspot of my ancestors around 1740s to 1800s.
    It doesn't seem to appear on current maps although confusingly Mr Google brings up lots of businesses there o_O

There is a Broadholm farm house and stables etc which are listed and built around the right time. But there doesn't seem to be anything else

I wonder if anyone has heard of it? Was it a hamlet or village where several families lived, or was it a farm estate which my family (Sims) could have built or owned, before selling it on?

Thank you

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Broadholm is an area just to the north of Belper.

if you find an OS map of the area, move north out of the town until you see the cemetery, Broadholm is just to the north of that.

It is just south of where Broadholm House Farm is and to the east of the river.

Chimp likes this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Here you go - I was on my ipad type thingy last evening and so could not snip the map.

upload_2022-1-12_5-28-1.png

Eve, Bay Horse, janetbooth and 2 others like this.