What Would you Do?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by MollyMay, May 15, 2019.

1. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

So... if a birth certificate says 'formerly' and gives a maiden name, it isn't always proof that the parents are married. :sceptical:

Jellylegs likes this.
  2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Exactly - people lie today and they lied back then too.
    I would like to think (supposition) that both of the married parties separated (divorce being out of the question) and then made a new 'marriage' with another partner, being unable to make it legal until one of the parties died. He did and she then quickly married again. Had it been the other way around I guess he would have married the mother of his child, but who knows?
    I can only enter the facts that I have, which is good enough.

3. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

AM....it's probably our usual 90 years here re privacy...but I needed my birth certificate to get a passport. The hospital where I allegedly was born said said they had no record of it. Mum knew the right people there and all I got was a letter stating the bare minimum...no proper paper cert. So that, plus some odd things...got me wondering!! Plus it was the same deal with her father!! :eek:
    Just solved my grandfather's mysterious beginnings 2 mos ago which was amazing!! Should put that under Fascinating Finds because I didn't even know his first name!! But I digress...
    In all honesty I was uncomfortable re the original question here but MM is keeping it to herself. So that is a good thing. Like you, I am a private person re certain things....and I have nothing to hide! :D

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Bay Horse and MollyMay like this.
  4. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Heather..what confuses me is the electoral registers are available here right up until fairly recently. I can find myself on several of them, yet we can't get other details because of privacy. i don't know why they are allowed to publish them!!

5. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Found my father on a couple but there isn't much information on those for genealogists compared to other things as I recall. Dad always thought the 90 year rule was maddening but that's how our rules go. My mum finally showed up on our last one and she died in 1986. Identity theft?? Not likely!!

I believe copyright is just 70 years.... I have a manuscript here on mink breeding that was sent to my dad for proofing and I am not sure if it was published or not. Guess that's where I got my present day proof reading skills from, lol.