What would you like to see before you go?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Mutters, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Mutters

Mutters I am not bossy, I just have better ideas.

Before I join my ancestors, I would like to see the 1921 census.
    I'd like to know who they were with and what they were doing.

When I get 'up there' to meet them, I really don't want to put my foot in it.
    The love of their life in 1911 may not have been so, 10 years later. ;)

What's on your wish list?

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I'd like to see online electoral rolls for all of England, 1911 - 1940 which may help avoid that problem Mutters.
    The current ones released on FMP are perhaps a bit too recent for my needs.

Mutters likes this.
  3. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

I'm not greedy, so all I'll wish for is the answer to every wretched question that has hit a brick wall ever since I got hooked on this innocent so called "hobby". I'm sick of applying band aids and antiseptic cream to my now very flat forehead and the resultant scar tissue is most unattractive!!!!

:mad:

LianeH and Half Hour like this.
  4. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

I am not selfish - there is only 1 question and it will unlikely be answered before I join this bloke 'down below' and that is why- instead of you marrying my dad's mum, when with what you did later in my dad's life - ask your brother to marry her? :p

5. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

ENGLAND and IRELAND

6. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

Well it's all good news for you Wendy! The British Library are beavering away at copying a huge swathe of their UK electoral registers which will cover all their holdings from 1832 until, seemingly, about the 1930s.

Have a look at this> http://
    pressandpolicy.bl.uk/content/Detail.aspx?ReleaseID=1205&NewsAreaID=2

Chimp likes this.
  7. Ma-dotcom

Thanks Flook, made my day. (it's all a plot to get me back onto FP) may well work too.:) All looks good.

8. Bookworm

Bookworm Now in the arms of the Angels

I'd like to see All Register Office bmd's online instead of having to pay for them.
    They could easily put the ones on that don't come under the 100 years privacy law, but I guess it would be too expensive for them to do it :(
    My local Register Office now charges £10 per copy - extortionate!

dizzyme likes this.
  9. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Like Sheila (and it is an old chestnut, I know), I would love to be able to see copies of BMD certs on line - even if it was just the 'historical' ones.

Best wishes
    Ann (who has just seen a pig fly over :rolleyes:)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  10. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

Like Shelia & AnnB I'd like the same, (pigs are just flying past here as well!) but given that it won't happen, being able to buy photocopies of BMD like they do in Ireland for £3.00 would be great and I'm sure they would increase their revenue...

Karen

Mutters likes this.
  11. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Philippa, every brickwall answer would be good but I know its not going to happen so when I do meet my ancestors they are going to get a jolly good rollicking for hiding from me:D pesky little blighters giving me a headache.

Liane

12. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Forgetting the frivolity and unlikelihood of my initial post and being a touch more serious, I too would like to see BMD certificates over 100 years old universally available at a reasonable cost. Queensland, where unfortunately for my pocket most of the relevant occurrences took place, charges $39 whether the certificate is dated yesterday or yesterday +150 years - makes no difference. At least in NSW you have access to "agents" who can provide the service for a lot less than the going rate, but it's still not really affordable and I have to think twice before ordering. Is it Victoria and/or Tasmania where you can download a copy for a reasonable price? Unfortunately none of my lot were in either place, so it doesn't apply for me. SAFHS had, at least a while ago, "permission" to provide historical copies of certificates for a reasonable cost, but I'm not sure how that stands now.

I haven't yet been courageous enough to try to attack the British certificates - the way of finding matches and trying to be sure that what you are looking at is what you really want is way too confusing and daunting. One day I'll have to bite the bullet and give it a go, then I'll find out how the costing (and the element of pot luck) compares with that back here.

I guess that squadron of pigs flying overhead will become a reality before our wishes are granted, but at least we can hope.

Philippa

13. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

Tis Victoria Philippa.

14. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Thanks, Doug, knew it was one or t'other. Unfortunately it still doesn't affect me, so .... Ho hum!!!

15. Ma-dotcom

The pork squadron will never be fazed out Ladies, we can only hope it may soon be grounded.

16. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Nooooooooooo! KEEP THE PIGS - they are one of the few links to reality that are left in this crazy world!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AnnB and Ma-dotcom like this.
  17. Eve

Eve Well-Known Member

Is this a one wish only ? Because I would also like to see the 1921 census sooner rather than later and also be able access actual BMD entries and certificates online at reasonable cost - oh alright, you know we would pay even exorbitant amounts if we could see for ourselves that it was the right one !

18. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

Philippa likes this.
  19. Mutters

Mutters I am not bossy, I just have better ideas.

Oh thank you. :)
    Seems we all want similar regardless of where we live in the world.

I also cannot see why in this technological age we cannot pay a few quid for certificate details to be sent by email. I don't care if it is not a copy of a pretty coloured handwritten form. I just want to know what it says. :mad:

Bookworm, dizzyme and Philippa like this.
  20. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Thanks, Karen, thanks a lot. It might come to that soon, but I have to post a couple of queries first, and see where it leads me. Speaking of which, I'd better get my thoughts in order and do something about that. Tomorrow. I'm just about to hit the hay and don't think I could string the words together properly.

Sleep well, everyone.

Philippa

LianeH and dizzyme like this.