What Year.

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by MollyMay, Jan 20, 2019.

1. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

MIL celebrated her birthday in November - yob 1926 Co Kildare

I have a copy of her birth cert (dated 1983) which confirms the above, but in the column
    marked 'When Registered' it states:-
    16th May on the authority of the registrar general 1947

1947 was when she left home and came to work in England

Anc have her in their Civil Registration Births Ireland index as:- April, May June 1926
    (I have not sent for this cert).

So was she really born Nov 1925, or is the 1947 qtr used with her yob?
    Any thoughts anyone?

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Could this have been a full certificate requested by her for when she left home & need such to apply for work? Perhaps leaving off the 1926 was an oversight by the registrar.

Sis, MollyMay and Blackmogs like this.
  3. MollyMay

Wendy, the cert I have is a full one, and is correct (parents names etc), and gives her dob as Nov 1926. She needed one to come to England to work, and from the wording it looks like her birth was not registered in 1926 but in 1947 - so why would Anc have her birth reg in the June qtr 1926 (months before she was born, unless she was born in Nov 1925:confused:). The Anc reg is definitely her, a very non Irish surname (Yorkshire in fact) with the correct mmn.

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

I bet its what Wedny says, she ordered it to bring with her. Maybe the 1983 one is a replacement for the 1947 one. But here is a very very random thought. One of mine was annotated by the Registrar some 4 years later than her birth and that was because she was adopted!

:(

Sis, Ma-dotcom and MollyMay like this.
  5. MollyMay

I think you are both right about the b/c being ordered originally in 1947, and she must have brought that one with her when she came over to England to work, but subsequently mislaid it. I know the cert (that I have) was ordered in 1983, so she could get a passport - what I do not understand is the Anc entry saying the birth was reg in June qtr 1926, when she was not born until November 1926 - unless her birth was not registered when she was born and when she wanted a birth cert in 1947 she was registered (May 16th - so June qtr), and so this where the confusion (I am confused:confused: totally) arose.

She lies number 3 out of 7 children, so I am pretty sure (and the birth cert confirms:rolleyes:) her parentage, and for what it is worth her younger sister, who came to England with her, was the spitting image of her.

Sis and Blackmogs like this.
  6. Blackmogs

Complicated, i reckon it will stay a mystery. it could be a mistake on the original index.

Sis and MollyMay like this.
  7. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Unless she was the 2nd girl in the family by that name. Was there a death registered earlier at all?

Sis and MollyMay like this.
  8. Blackmogs

Not enough time Wedny, registered June 1926, born November same year. Methinks.

Sis, MollyMay and Ma-dotcom like this.
  9. MollyMay

No room for another child Wendy (thanks for staying with it :))
    Her brother was born May 1925, which rules out her being born in November 1925, so it has to be 1926. It just looks like the reg entry is wrong:headbang:. I will stick with the dob on the b/c that I have.

Sis, Blackmogs and Ma-dotcom like this.
  10. Blackmogs

Best thing I reckon.

MollyMay likes this.
  11. MollyMay

Thanks Blackmogs -:rolleyes: tying down the birth of the brother in 1925 clinched it - either the reg entry or Anc:rolleyes: are wrong.

Ma-dotcom, Sis and Blackmogs like this.
  12. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

have you looked at freebmd at both dates I have one on there which says on later date that it was re registered due to a mistake so perhaps it might have something on the later one as to why

Ma-dotcom and MollyMay like this.
  13. MollyMay

Interestingly, FMP do not have a birth reg for MIL in 1926, but they do have one for the June qtr 1947 - which matches the info on the cert that I have, so it looks like she was not registered at birth (and it seem neither were some of her siblings), and Anc have somehow mixed her yob with the quarter of registration in 1947.

Ma-dotcom and Sandiep like this.
  14. Sandiep

was there not any registered in Ireland for any of them at all

15. MollyMay

Yes 6 of the family were registered (plus the one for MIL), but my husband can name at least 3 more who we cannot find (he spent all of his childhood holidays back in MIL's home town). He has now contacted a cousin who still lives in the same town, who is going to find the names and dates for me. It doesn't help that most of them used pet names :headbang: - MIL was Bunny, how they got that from Rose I have no idea:rolleyes:

Sandiep and Daft Bat like this.
  16. Sandiep

guess this is what keeps us researching its like doing crosswords for your brain:D:D Hubbies maternal line don't change first names but surnames they have 3 different ones they use and don't always spell them same no wonder my brain goes on strike at times.
    Hope you find the answers if we can help with any names we are all here as you know

MollyMay likes this.
  17. MollyMay

Thanks Sandie - for Irish records we have done quite well going backwards but it is his aunts and uncles and countless cousins:D, MIL only had 6 children her siblings all had 10 or more:eek:. They are proving to be the problem, and yes it is the challenge that keeps things interesting;) Hopefully cousin Tom will come up trumps:)

Ma-dotcom and Sandiep like this.
  18. Lusmum

Lusmum Active Member

I would suggest that date is when she got her English cert. My cert is dated 1951 but I was born 1938 it gives 2 dates, 4th May 1938 and 23rd August when this cert. was issued. I can only guess certs.got lost when we were evacuated in the war because fmp have my original entry in the second quarter which is right.

Ma-dotcom, Sandiep, MollyMay and 2 others like this.