Whatever happened to the Cooks?

Discussion in 'Leicestershire' started by Stafford, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Stafford

Stafford Well-Known Member

Maria H Cooke was in the Woodmarket Workhouse in 1891. She was described as a pauper, widow and an imbecile. This would fit with the 1881 census already found. Either Henry abandoned her or he had died. What a sad life.

2. Stafford

Sydney Arthur Pywell mentioned in the 1901 census was the son of Ann Wheatley Clarke, Sophia's sister and daughter of Joseph Clarke. At least I have the right family. Now to find out if John is Sophia's brother...

3. Stafford

:)Putting it all together:
    • Maria (H) Hickson b Frisby on the Wreake, Leicestershire in 1835. By 1881 Maria was confined to the Rutland Leicester Asylum. In 1891 she was in the workhouse, abandoned or widowed. She died in 1902. Maria was a distant first cousin.
    • Henry, Maria's husband, was an agricultural labourer, b 1837 in Peatling Magna. He cannot be found in 1891 nor can I find a definitive death. Looking at the births of his youngest children, he was having an affair with Sophia Surphire Clarke, his housekeeper, in 1881.
    • Elizabeth H Cook b. 1866 in Peatling Magna. Details on the Leicestershire Regiment Website provided the details needed to 'complete' her history. (Thanks Huncamunca :)) She married Simeon Hubbard who died in 1896. In 1901 she was in the Lutterworth Workhouse together with 3 of her 5 children. Two of her sons died in WW1. Whilst I can find all of her children in 1911, I am not sure what happened to Elizabeth.
    • Ann, Annie or Anna Maria/Marina H Cook b. 1868 in Great Peatling. I managed to trace her thanks to a previously unidentified heiress in one of her aunts' wills. She married Willie Rowe in Derbyshire.
    • William Hickson Cook b. 1869 Peatling Magna. He moved to and married in Derbyshire. (thanks Flook :))
    • Henry Thomas Cook b 1871 Great Peatling. Henry married Kate Elizabeth Upton in Derbyshire. All census records found.
    • Sarah Cook b 1877 in Great Peatling. Most likely the daughter of Sophia Clarke and Henry Cook. She married Elias Poulson from Derbyshire. (thanks Flook :) for the hint which helped unravel Sarah and Frederick's stories).
    • Frederick Cook b 1880 in Great Peatling - Frederick Cook Clarke. According to his mother's 1911 census he had died. When and where not found.
    • Sophia Surphire Clarke (no relation but intriguing) birth and marriage certificates for her children may unravel some of the mysteries. Unfortunately they are low priority at the moment.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    Huncamunca and Flook like this.
  4. Sean Cassidy

Sean Cassidy New Member

I can put my hat into the ring here.

I believe the Cooks are my ancestors and can potentially fill in the missing gaps.

My great gran always told my gran that they come from the Thomas Cook dynasty.

My great grandmother was called Phillis Clarice Esme Elphick. Her mother was Daisy Cook. I believe she was married to Ralph Cook. They owned a hotel in London called Chester Palace Hotel. It was sold during or after the war. The name Henry Thomas Usherwood comes up in my ancestry. I'm trying to work out why the surname is Usherwood and not Cook. I will keep digging and update you.

Sis, Ma-dotcom, Chimp and 2 others like this.