When and how did they come back to England?

Discussion in 'Migration & Shipping' started by The Artful Dodger, May 14, 2018.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

On 1 June 1900 the U.S. census in Silver Bow, Montana, U.S.A identified a silver miner named William Nankivell, his wife Grace and 3 children Sarah, William J. and Elsie. Grace was very pregnant with their 4th child and on 15 June 1900 she delivered a daughter - named Elizabeth Jane.

Sadly, less than a year later, William died on 9 June 1901 and he was buried in Mount Moriah cemetery, Silver Bow, Montana. Grace, now a widow has her 4 children - Sarah [age under 8], William J. [age 6], Elsie [age under 4] and the baby [age 1].

I am aware of a report from the Anaconda Standard of 24 December 1901 - where a Judge granted a petition of 2 men [Benn. Annear and J.H. Williams ] as guardians of Grace Nankivell, an insane person to invest $1,000 for the benefit of Mrs. Nankivell's 4 minor children. According to the petition of the guardians, the unfortunate woman is in the asylum and the children are distributed among the homes of relatives and friends.
    The father of the children, William Nakivell, deceased, left an estate valued at about $2,000, consisting of of a house and lot at Walkerville, Montana. There are $557 in approved claims against the estate, and the guardians asked the Court's permission to take them up and expend $25 a month for the maintenance of the children. Court granted the request.

A sad situation. I had no idea at this point who the 2 guardians are/were.

I'm now looking into the family of Grace and the children. I couldn't locate them in 1910 U.S.census and the reason was they were no longer in the U.S.

1911 census - Grace [a widow] and 3 children [William J age 15, Elsie age 13 and Elizabeth age 10] are living on St. Day Road, Carharrack, Scorrier, Cornwall. Grace has no occupation, has no impairments and cannot sign the schedule. William is aMiner [below ground] and the 2 girls are in school. The eldest daughter is transcribed as Evelyn and is working as a Servant for Henry Jory of Sparry Bottom, Carharrack, Scorrier, Cornwall.

I cannot find their return to England and given her supposed "mental health" issues I'm curious how this return might have occurred?

Grace [Bullen] had left England in May 1888 and married William in the U.S. 19 July 1888. She had 2 sisters - Emily and Bessie. I' working on those 2.

Her parents died in Cornwall - father Nicholas [2nd q. 1910] and mother Jane [Bray] 4th q. 1911.

2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Just a thought - I wonder if her mental health issue was post natal depression
    coupled with the death of her husband.
    I have an instance, in my family, where the mother ended up institutionalised for p.n.d.

3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Doesn't answer your question Colin, but from the Cornishman of the 24th January 1946 -
    The death has occurred at her residence, Laurel-row, Carharrack, of Mrs Grace Nankivell at the advanced age of 85 years. She was a resident of the village nearly all her life, and had been a widow for many years. The funeral took place at St. Day. The Rev. T. T. Perry (vicar of Gwennap) conducted the service in Holy Trinity Church prior to the interment, and performed the last rites at the graveside. Mr E. J. Enstice (lay reader) assisted the service. Mourners and friends present were: Miss E. Nankivell and Mrs. B. Broad (daughters); P.O. H. Woodley, R.N. (grandson) and Mrs B. Brooks (granddaughter), Messrs. A. Gumma and C. Northey (nephews), Mrs M. Gumma (niece), Mr J. Broad (son-in-law), Mr A. Williams (representing Mr J. Williams), Messrs. W. J. P. Thomas (Barncoose Estate Office), R. H. Davey, E. Thomas, Mesdames R. H. Davey, E. Thomas, E. J. Enstice, the Misses C. Perry, and Mrs M. Thomas. Mr. A. L. Davey, Redruth, was the undertaker.

4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Found this on Ancestry in the UK Lunacy Patients Admission Registers 1846-1912. It is from the register for 1912. There is no indication of which asylum she was admitted to.

upload_2018-5-14_8-41-34.png

5. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

Likely to have been Bodmin.

MollyMay, The Artful Dodger and Sis like this.
  6. The Artful Dodger

All very helpful and attests to a sad life if my interpretation

Sis, MollyMay and AnnB like this.
  7. The Artful Dodger

Looks like she spent several years in Bodmin

Sis and MollyMay like this.