Where is Jane HOMER?

Discussion in 'Lincolnshire' started by Daft Bat, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Jane was born in Little Hale, Lincolnshire and baptised at Great Hale on 17th March 1804 to parents William and Jane INGALL.

On 25th March 1824, she married Edward HOMER and the couple may be found in 1851 at the Nags Head, Helpringham with some of their children: HO 107, piece 2102, folio 296, page 32

Edward died in 1860, being buried on 3rd May at Helpringham.

The 1861 census has some of their sons living in Helpringham: RG 09, piece 2346, folio 18, page 30

However, I have not been able to discover what happened to Jane. :( There is a possible death for her in 1868 in the Sleaford RD (which covers Helpringham) but that gives a birth year of 1801. I am 99% convinced that it is her, but.....:cool:

It does not help that HOMER can also be transcribed as HORNER... :rolleyes:

If anyone can find her in the censuses after 1851 or confirm her death/burial, I would be most grateful.

2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Well, the death in 1868 is the right place, but makes Jane even older.....:nailbiting:
    From the Stamford Mercury 17th July 1868
    At Helpringham on the 3rd inst., Jane Homer aged 69.

Daft Bat likes this.
  3. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

I think I might have got her in 1861 in Wilsford - RG9/2344 fo97 p10

She's in a household with Thomas and Jane Roper; she's given as age 60, born Little Hale, and Jane Roper is 34, born Helpringham, and I wonder if she could be a daughter.

FreeBMD has a marriage in the Sleaford district in Sep qtr 1853 for Thomas Roper, with one possible bride given as Jane Horner.

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

@arthurk that certainly looks like her - the area is about right and with the marriage adding up as well. :)

@AnnB I suppose ages were not as important back then and any announcement and/or registration was only as good as the knowledge of the person doing it. :cool:

Thank you both. :)

arthurk and AnnB like this.