Where might this be?

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by Bay Horse, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

This is one for the eagle-eyed and also possibly the walkers/hikers amongst us. Where was this picture taken?

There is a sign-post, but I can't read it. Going by the buildings it looks like North Yorkshire to me. Could be Derbyshire... anywhere on limestone, I guess.

47. Unknown.jpg

Any help gratefully received.

Chimp and Auburn like this.
  2. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

I love this kind of challenge, though they sometimes defeat me :(

Would you be able to do a very high definition scan of just the signpost, please? Even if it's not totally clear, it might make it possible to work something out. Meanwhile the place on the LH finger seems to have quite a long name. And is there anything else off to the right on the original photo?

Just beyond the signpost it looks like a bridge over a river, and I think there's another much lower one (minor road, footpath?) just in front of the cottages.

From the light and shade I think the sun may be coming from the left, and the general lie of the land suggests to me that the river might be flowing from east to west - though that would rule out a lot of Yorkshire and Derbyshire.

Chimp, Auburn, Sis and 2 others like this.
  3. Bay Horse

Thanks, Arthur. I'll have a go, re. signpost. You can already pick out more than me. :confused:

That's the extent of the photo, unfortunately. The scanner has just lopped the white border off. It was taken "Aug 1949" (written on back but no other clues) and is just over an inch square, I'd say.

Chimp and Auburn like this.
  4. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

tried filtering and using clarity but the signpost is out of focus not within my small skills:(

Chimp, Auburn and Bay Horse like this.
  5. Bay Horse

High-res didn't help... the signpost was still blurred. But, I know what it said, now - because I think I've found the location! It says Grassington/Skipton.

By the power of Google Streetview, I've been on my virtual holidays all evening, visiting every tourist spot that might inspire such a photo. I believe the location to be Hebden. The view is a bit different as trees are blocking some of the old cottages and the signpost, but I recognised the hill in the background.

It took me a fair bit of swivelling about, because I struggled to get perspective - it seems that the young man is sitting on a wall on the main street.

I've never visited Hebden, but I think I might have to. :)

Thank you, Arthur and Sandie.

Elma, Half Hour, Sandiep and 8 others like this.
  6. Bay Horse

Exactly that, although Streetview won't allow me onto the minor road.

Sandiep, Chimp, Auburn and 3 others like this.
  7. Bay Horse

Still can't believe I found it. :)

If you google 'Stone cottages, Hebden, Wharfedale' there are copyright images of the same scene.

Next challenge.... who is the young gentleman? :D:D Stumped with that one, but they are all pieces of the jigsaw, so shall put it back in the box for another time.

Sandiep, Chimp, Auburn and 6 others like this.
  8. arthurk

Well done! And all from a 1" square original. :)

So you were right about Yorkshire, and I was wrong about the direction the river was flowing - it's flowing from the little bridge towards the bigger one, roughly NNW to SSE.

I wondered if the chap might have been posing ahead of a wedding, as the church isn't far away, but I didn't come up with anything. The only Hebden events I found were the annual sports and grouse shooting, and he's not really dressed for either of those.

Sandiep, Chimp, Auburn and 3 others like this.
  9. Bay Horse

So, it would make sense to search the family tree for a family wedding in Aug 1949. :reading:

Thanks, Arthur.

Ma-dotcom, Sandiep, Chimp and 3 others like this.
  10. Bay Horse

Hebden marriages are online - very good local website. There were two during the month of September 1949 but none in August. Still think Arthur is right about a wedding somewhere in the vicinity.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    Ma-dotcom, Sandiep, Chimp and 3 others like this.
  11. arthurk

You've beaten me to it, but I'll post this anyway. The site with information on Hebden is:
    Code:
    https://www.braemoor.co.uk/hebden/index.shtml
    There are masses of old photos, and a transcript of the PRs including 1949 marriages. There are also Electoral Registers for this period (under Miscellaneous), but I didn't look at them.

The only ones that year were one in July and two in September; and of those, the only party who wasn't reasonably local was a Denis Michael Cartwright of Sutton Coldfield, who married a Myrtle Stockdale on 10 Sep. So if it happened to be him, it might be a pre-wedding visit, perhaps.

Oddly, it looks as though Myrtle's sister Hazel married another chap from Sutton Coldfield (Harry Desmond Lowe) the following year.

Ma-dotcom, Sandiep, Chimp and 4 others like this.
  12. Bay Horse

Arthur, you're brilliant.

I notice that on the latter marriage transcription it gives Hazel's father Thomas's occupation as a corn merchant. What was that I was saying about pieces of jigsaws?

This photo is my dad-in-law on the running board of a milk truck, assumed to be in Cumbria, taken in the '30s. My previous searches via Google to find the old school house in the background, which was what I'd decided the building was, ended in a dead end. And what I'd thought was a 'J' on the front of the truck is actually a 'T' now that I zoom right in again, and on the side it reads '*orn Millers'. It's Myrtle and Hazel's father's truck! :eek: The school house is now tea rooms, but it's definitely old Hebden school on the photograph.

45. Jack Lee and a truck edit.jpg

All roads definitely leading to Hebden now.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    Half Hour, Ma-dotcom, Sandiep and 5 others like this.
  13. arthurk

I'm not sure about me being brilliant - you got the location, we both found the site with transcripts, and you matched the name to the other photo.

So presumably the photo by the bridge is Myrtle or Hazel's future husband? I'm curious - are these all your rellies, or just acquaintances? And was your f-i-l from Hebden all along, or just visiting?

Sis, Ma-dotcom, Sandiep and 2 others like this.
  14. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I think the pair of you have done brilliantly :) I had to look in the paper in the hope of finding a report of one of the weddings, but all I found was the following -
    Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer 12th October 1949
    The engagement is announced between Desmond, younger son of Mrs and the late Mr H. W. Lowe, Pine Glen, Fernside Road, West Moors, Dorset and Hazel, third daughter of Mr and Mrs Thomas Stockdale, Craigmar, Hebden, Skipton.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer 22nd February 1950
    February 18 at St Peter’s Church, Hebden, by the Rev J. C. T. Baker, Desmond, younger son of the late Mr H. W. Lowe and Mrs Lowe of West Moors, Dorset, to Hazel, third daughter of Mr and Mrs T. Stockdale, Craigmar, Hebden.

Sis, Ma-dotcom, Sandiep and 4 others like this.
  15. Auburn

Auburn Well-Known Member

My other half only has a mild interest in family history (the "Yes,dear" kind).
    I made him read this thread to demonstrate what you lot get up to.
    He was absolutely amazed and most impressed!

Half Hour, kernowmaid, Sis and 8 others like this.
  16. Bay Horse

@arthurk . When you drew my attention to the two marriages, it clicked, remembering the name on the truck. I don't know whether there is a family connection to those particular Stockdales or whether my father-in-law had just jumped on the running board for a photo. (We do have some Stockdale links, but from elsewhere). FIL is from Cheshire. I don't know who the two other males are - I think the young man on the wall may be a first cousin of his, possibly still alive as he was about ten years his junior - he married later than the dated picture. Plenty to work on now...

@Auburn. Mine is the same, but has been dragged out of an office zoom meeting in the box room to hear this! :D "...You know that milk truck?"

Sis, Ma-dotcom, Auburn and 5 others like this.
  17. arthurk

OK, let us know if anything interesting emerges... :nailbiting: :D

Sis, Ma-dotcom, Sandiep and 1 other person like this.
  18. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

This has been one of the most interesting & absorbing posts in a long time, hoping it is to be continued.
    Thanks for your curiousity Jenny. ;)

19. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

I agree with Wendy. Great job, both of you.:)

Ma-dotcom, Bay Horse and Chimp like this.
  20. Bay Horse

I've been on a jaunt. :)

What a beautiful setting. We found landmarks linking other photos, a couple of lovely old buildings that had been in the family, a relevant headstone. Also had breakfast at the old school rooms and met other family historians on a similar mission in the churchyard (hello again to you! :) )

Attached Files: