Where was my Edward Jones born in Denbighshire?

Discussion in 'Denbighshire' started by busyglen, Sep 24, 2013.

1. busyglen

busyglen Well-Known Member

I thought that when I saw it as well, so sort of ignored it. :)

Huncamunca likes this.
  2. busyglen

Sorry Ann....I guessed you'd run away and hide....:eek:
    You've been my mentor for years on this one.....Oh, and John Jarvis!!

I always sort of thought of looking through the scale makers trail, quite a long time ago, but then there wasn't much that one could look up on line. I know you did have a look `way back when' but couldn't find much to give any leads. The fact that Thomas also went into the same trade as his father made me think that if I try and pursue that line, I might come up with something.

I must go away and have another think and sort this lot out, as my head is reeling from overload. We are going away Friday morning to Germany and that involves a long coach trip, so I will have plenty of time to cogitate. :) Back Monday, although I'll be around tomorrow.

Looking back on all of the work I've previously put into this family,(with a lot of help) I have quite a lot of information including the childrens' marriages etc. and also Edwards death, and his wife Eliza. Sadly she died of too much drink.....and she had lovely handwriting, and a short while afterwards Edward died. He'd had an ulcerated leg for 18 years which dried up, then congestion of the lungs for 3 weeks, and then convulsions for 12 hours. I feel quite sorry for him, as he was only 60. His daughter Maria was with him at the time as she was then unmarried. There was a sum of about £200 left although no will, which was granted to Maria. I was quite pleased about that as she looked after Mum as well as Dad.

Thank you all for all of your input, it is very much appreciated.

Huncamunca likes this.
  3. busyglen

Thanks for the info Flook, I appreciate your input. :)

4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

As we have been very bookish on another thread, you may care to purchase a copy of a tome entitled "The British Bird-Preserver: Or, How to Skin, Stuff and Mount Birds and Animals" - described on a well-known site as "originally published in 1877. A interesting early illustrated book on Taxidermy Methods with chapters on Localities, Habits and Methods of Obtaining Birds and Animals. Also included are Instructions in Moth and Butterfly Catching, Setting and Preserving."

Ann
    (sorry Glen, I will get back to hunting the Jones's now :rolleyes:)

Bay Horse, busyglen and Daft Bat like this.
  5. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I've found that Edward Jones advertised regularly in the West Middlesex Advertiser and Family Journal, during the 1860's. The advert is almost always the same and reads -

Buy your Scales and Weights of the Maker
    E. Jones
    7, Queen's Road East, Chelsea
    Scales and weights cleaned and adjusted by the year

I'll keep looking to see if I can find anything else :) Enjoy your trip.

Ann xx
    PS e-mail on way

busyglen likes this.
  6. busyglen

Thanks for that info Ann, that's very interesting. At least I know its the same person as the address you quote is correct. :)
    Just finished packing, so going for a sit down now. Phew! Who thought 4 days was easier to pack for than a week??!
    Catch up when I get back.

Glenxx