Which Island - Which Country?

Discussion in 'Caribbean Islands' started by Lulu, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Lulu

Lulu New Member

Ok so here is one of my brickwalls.

I am trying to find the birthplace of my gg-grandfather. His name was William Harris Jones b. abt 1845. The family story is that he was born in the West Indies. Different branches of the family have different birthplace's. Those mentioned are Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago and Guyana.

The only information I have is a copy of the marriage certificate of William and my gg-grandmother Elizabeth Chesworth in Liverpool in 1867. His occupation is given as a Mariner of full age and his father's name was John Jones an Officer in Customs I also have a copy of the marriage Allegation but neither give a birthplace.

He doesn't appear on the 1871 Census with his wife and daughter Rebecca(my gt-grandmother) and by 1879 Elizabeth was marrying again and she had stated she was a widow. The story is that he was washed overboard where I don't know.

My g-grandmother told family members that she remembers going on the ships with her mother and father and apparently he worked for the Elder Dempster Lines.

Over the years I have searched various websites, Family Search, Jamaican Family Search, CLIP. I am a member of Ancestry and Find My Past and have looked at any record I could find relating the the Caribbean. Unfortunately I have been unable to locate a birth/baptism or even a death/burial record for him so any help would be very much appreciated.

Ann

2. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

Lulu likes this.
  3. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Sorry I have looked and looked. Found Elizabeth's birth which you have and the marriage - which you also have. No luck on the census or looking at the Elder Dempster lines.:( I looked at deaths - just a thought could there be anything in a Liverpool newspaper? or I am thinking if he did get washed overboard presumably there was an inquest. Would it be In Liverpool records office/archives?.

Lulu likes this.
  4. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

there is a William Harries Jones born 1845 in Kingston sailed from Bremen on 28 Sept 1861 on the Amazone coming to England.
    archive name Bremen Staatsarchiv and its on Ancestry

Half Hour likes this.
  5. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

There is a marriage of a John Jones, mariner to Elizabeth Chesworth 20 June 1861 St Peter Liverpool. His father John Jones and hers William Chesworth.
    Then on 31 July 1865 St Mary Walton on the Hill, Elizabeth Jones widow to Francis Hunt. Her father William Chesworth. Could be coincidence.

Lulu likes this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Have you checked 'Old Mersy Times' for a possible death or missing person?

Lulu likes this.
  7. Lulu

Lulu New Member

Hi Sandiep that looks promising unfortunately I don't have a World membership to view the record. I have found a William Jones on CLIP born 1849 in Jamaica and a William Jones born in 1845 in the West Indies both being strong possibilities but need a birth/baptism to confirm.

8. Archie's Mum

As you have mentioned these I thought I might include the following....William Jones 12 July 1848 Clarendon, Middlesex, Jamaica. Father John Jones, mother Mary Walker.

Ma-dotcom and Lulu like this.
  9. Lulu

Lulu New Member

Hi Sue. I saw this record but my Elizabeth's father's name is James Chesworth not William. James died in 1852 in Liverpool.

10. Lulu

Lulu New Member

Thanks Sue this looks good too.

Ann

Archie's Mum likes this.
  11. Lulu

Lulu New Member

Hi Wendy, yes I have checked through the site but nothing matches but thanks for the pointer.

Ann

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  12. Lulu

Lulu New Member

Hi gillyflower. I've not come across an inquest for William. I don't even know what year he died unfortunately. My Mum once said he was eaten by sharks off the coast of Australia but her sister told me had never heard that story. :eek:

Ann

Archie's Mum likes this.
  13. Archie's Mum

That's very graphic.......common problem down this way just lately. :(

14. Ma-dotcom

Having had no luck with your William I was a bout to ask if he was actually born in Jamaica Street, L'pool. Since then these items have come up, including about 4 other William Harris Jones marrying between 1870 & 1881.:rolleyes:

Elizabeth Chesworth of Sth Chester St, Walton on the Hill
    William Harris Jones of Frederick st.Parish of Liverpool

William Harris Jones
    Marriage date 12 Mar 1867
    Marriage place Liverpool
    Father; John Jones
    Spouse Elizabeth Chesworth
    Spouse's father James Chesworth
    Residence Liverpool, Lancashire, England
    Name: William Jones [a maybe]
    Birth Year: abt 1844
    Birth Place: Bermuda
    Event Date: 1 Sep 1869
    Port of Registry: Liverpool, Lancashire, England
    Ship Name: Fleur de Lis
    Official Number: 45405
    Reference Number: 387CRE/350

Lulu likes this.
  15. Lulu

Lulu New Member

Hi Wendy. That's my gg-grandparents. I've got a copy of the marriage certificate and the license application which Elizabeth applied for but neither gives a place of birth for him. He doesn't appear on any census either unfortunately but the entry you have found on the Fleur de Lis looks very interesting.

Ann

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  16. Ma-dotcom

I hope some-thing comes of it all for you Ann-( if only because your name is Ann) ;) I don't approve of these Gt. or Gt.Gt. G'parents of ours who leave us wondering about their begettings & where from-ness. :(

Sis and Archie's Mum like this.