Which JOHN EVANS married Julia Walker?

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Murfomurf, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Well-Known Member

I am drowning in Evans, Jones, Williams, Griffiths and other Welsh name lovables.
    I know that a John Evans, apparently an Innkeeper, married my GG Aunt Julia Walker. In FreeBMD it shows:Marriage

Registration Year 1860
    Registration Quarter Apr-May-Jun
    Registration district Walsall
    County Staffordshire
    Volume 6b
    Page 718
    John Evans
    Julia Walker;

There is a good series of their family in the Census until John dies and Julia remarries as Julia Evans to Joseph Yates.

For years I thought John Evans was born in Dec 1838 and registered Mar 1839, with parents John Evans and Mary (Ann) Wright of Liverpool. However, through the GRO I discovered the Mother for John Evans with these dates is Ellis although all the other info I have is consistent with Wright.

Can anyone find the correct John Evans, please? A tall ask as he could have been born in Wales with all the other thousands of John Evans. FamilySearch didn't help and I don't trust sketchy trees on the A site with no records.

Julia Walker was born to Jane Boden and George Harvey (later surname Walker), registered as Walker and has plenty of online documentation.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

In the censuses, where does it say that John was born?

Do you have the references, please?

When did he die?

Sorry for the questions... :oops:

Murfomurf likes this.
  3. Daft Bat

Aha! FMP has a copy of the marriage register and shows John's father also as John EVANS, brushmaker. That might help finding him in earlier censuses.

Will message you.

Murfomurf likes this.
  4. Murfomurf

John Evans 1851, with parents:
    ED, institution, or vessel 1f
    Household schedule number 231
    Piece 2023
    Folio 233
    Page number 57;
    1861: with wife Julia: 28, 64, 2015, 114, p15
    1871: just before he died in Jun 1871, with wife Julia and daughters Jane and Sarah: 26, 16, 2964, 30, 4
    Probate says "Licensed victualler": John Evans Probate.JPG

Thank you muchly for the Marriage certificate image- looks good here.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2019
    Daft Bat likes this.
  5. Daft Bat

Looking at the 1841 census (Piece 557, book 6, folio 9, page 10) the family are in Liverpool with all of the children noted as born in the county.

The birth registration for his younger sister Charlotte (aged 1) was in the June quarter of 1840 with the mother's maiden name of Wright, but like you, could not see a birth registration for John with this mmn.

I wonder if he just got missed off? If he was born 1837/8 it would have been right at the start of civil registration and many folk thought that baptism would do instead. It was not until 1874 that registration became compulsory.

6. Murfomurf

Thank you- that's not entirely daft! Perhaps he DID get left off the state register as I had collected Charlotte as his sister with mother Wright, also. It's a bit weird that John Evans started as a Brushmaker but went into Victualling. Perhaps it was Julia's idea as she was able to sign her marriage registration in a competent way whereas John only made an X. I'll continue to explore the Wrights into the past and see if that gels with what we have established now.

Daft Bat likes this.
  7. Oz Faremeister

Oz Faremeister Active Member

This is an interesting one.....

Just to make the census and marriage records a little clearer:

John Evans is in the 1871 census as 32, a Brush Maker, born Liverpool, Lancashire married to Julia 31, born Walsall, Staffordshire and with children Jane Evans 9 and Sarah A Evans 4; both born Walsall, Staffordshire. The family are living at St Paul Street, Walsall Foreign, Walsall, Staffordshire

John Evans is in the 1861 census as 22, a Brush Maker, born Liverpool, Lancashire married to Julia 21, born Walsall, Staffordshire and with no children. The couple are living at Rayner Buildings, Stafford Street, Walsall , Staffordshire

John Evans is in the 1851 census as 12, a Bridle Maker, born Liverpool, Lancashire. He is the son of John Evans 40, a Brush Maker born Liverpool and Mary Evans 37, born Liverpool. His siblings are Thomas 17, Bridle Cutter, George 15, Bridle Cutter, Charlotte 10; all born Liverpool and Edward 3 born Walsall, Staffordshire

Therefore John Evans was born circa 1838-1839 in Liverpool, Lancashire and his parents were John and Mary Evans. His sister Charlotte appears to have been born circa Jun 1840 in Liverpool (from BD&M) and from the GRO records her mother's maiden name was Wright. His brother Edward was born Sep 1847 in Walsall Union district, mothers maiden name Wright.

Unfortunately I cannot find a marriage record prior to 1834 between John Evans and Julia Wright in either find my past or the Lancashire parish project.

Unfortunately, the Lancashire parish project and findmypast also does not have any matching baptisms in 1838-1839 in Liverpool at that tifor John Evans.

John Evans married Julia Walker on Jun 1860 in Walsall district, Staffordshire (from BD&M). In more detail, John Evans of North St, Ryecroft, Rushall, Staffordshire, 21, a brush maker and son of John Evans (also a brush maker) married Julia Walker 20, a stitcher of North St, Ryecroft daughter of George Walker (a millwright); the marriage being on 28-05-1860 at St Michael Anglican Church in Rushall, Staffordshire

Not sure where we can go from here....

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Murfomurf likes this.
  8. Murfomurf

A little correction- George was a Wheelwright and Blacksmith, not a Millwright. I will now plunge deeper into the past to see whether there are links with other Wrights in my family tree to people in the more recent past.

9. Oz Faremeister

Misread the handwriting in the marriage entry; yes George Walker was definitely recorded as a Wheelright.

Found the marriage between John Evans and Mary Wright on familysearch and then the lancashire parish records and findmypast. They married at St Michaels in Liverpool on 14-03-1830. Witnesses were John Wright and Margaret Wright. No Evans parents listed though, which doesn't help in narrowing down his baptism.

If John Evans was born in 1810, there are two possible baptisms in Liverpool. If John Evans was born in 1811 there are 5 possible baptisms in Liverpool.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Murfomurf likes this.
  10. Oz Faremeister

There's one possible baptism for Mary Wright in Liverpool in 1813 and one in 1814.