Which Maria McLaren?

Discussion in 'London' started by annabel, Feb 2, 2019.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

I am most confused, can anyone help me untangle this?

Maria Louisa McLaren, aged 21, married Charles William Blackburn aged 20, at St Mark's, Walworth on 23rd July 1899. Her father was Joseph McLaren, a hawker

They can be found in 1911 Camberwell with their 5 children RG14; Piece: 2500
    I haven't found them in 1901

Looking for her birth and parents, I couldn't find anything for a Maria Louisa McLaren born 1878 ish, most Marias have a different middle name. But there is one for a Louisa Mary Ann McLaren MMN Davenport born 1873 Southwark. I've found her baptism 1872 at St Peter Walworth, father Joseph, a general dealer, and Caroline (I have a Caroline Davenport marrying a Joseph McLaren, general dealer, in 1863 in my tree)

BUT there is also a marriage for a Louisa Mary Ann McLaren marrying an Alfred Griffin in 1891 at All Saints, Walworth with father Joseph who is what looks like a fish liner

AND there is a Maria Sarah McLaren born in 1879 in St Saviour, Southwark MMN Davonport, who I can't find later on.

I would like to find out who were the parents of the Maria who married Mr Blackburn?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Piece number 515, Folio 75, Page 32 ;)

Flook likes this.
  3. annabel

Thank you. So she's born 1877 in that one. It does point to a birth of around 1878 then

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Not sure if this helps or hinders
    1891 census RG12/487/97/41 - Camberwell
    sees Maria McLaren (b1877)as sister to head - Elizabeth Cracknell, age 24 - widow
    Elizabeth Mary Ann McLaren married Charles Cracknell, 15/10/1888 at
    All Souls Newington, father Joseph McLaren, general dealer (image on Anc).

William McLaren b1874 - general dealer and Louisa McLaren b1872
    are also in the household, the girls are all servants
    All births are reg with mmn Davenport Elizabeth Mary Ann, Louisa Mary Ann,
    William Robert,

The occupation is Fish Curer - which was the occupation of Elizabeth's husband Charles Cracknell

5. annabel

Oh well done! It looks like is that Louisa Maria /Mary Ann and Maria Sarah were sisters then! Funny that I can't find Maria's baptism, but lots to look at there. I'm still not quite sure which one Maria Louisa was though :confused:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    MollyMay likes this.
  6. Lusmum

Lusmum Active Member

I’ve been looking in my book, My Ancesters were Gypsies, but can’t find the name McLaren, but not all names are listed, have McLean and Macklin. Hawker and General Dealer were trades put down of Gypsies and it wasn’t unusual for children to have multiple baptisms. So if you have a Gypsy connection Louisa Maria/ Mary Ann could have had more than one baptism. Just a thought...

Daft Bat likes this.
  7. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

I don't know whether this is relevant to your Joseph or not, but it may explain in part why the children are with their sister in the 1891 census of Camberwell. Havil Street Workhouse, Camberwell, has an entry on Friday 3 January 1890 for a Joseph McLaren, religion R.C., Fish Dryer, born 1838, admitted from Camberwell, he being "Ill" - image available to view on Ancestry.

Janet

MollyMay, Daft Bat and Chimp like this.
  8. janetbooth

Did you notice that one of the witnesses at Maria Louisa's marriage in 1899 was an E CRACKNELL - her sister perhaps?

Marriage at St Peter, Walworth on 15? December 1863 of Joseph McLaren, 24, Bachelor, General Dealer, 17 Union Street, father Robert McLaren, Greengrocer & Caroline DAVENPORT, 20, Spinster, 2 Union Street, father Joseph DAVENPORT, General Dealer - image available to view on Ancestry.

Both Joseph & Caroline seem to hail from St Mary Newington. Joseph is in the 1841 census of St Mary Newington (HO107/1064/8, folio 13, page 18) and Caroline in both the 1851 and 1861 census records of St Mary Newington (living at 2 Union Street in the 1861 as per her marriage record).

However, I am not having much luck finding Joseph McLAREN in census records after the 1841 record to see if your Maria is with her parents at any time. There is a death registration in March qtr 1888 at Camberwell reg district for a Caroline McLAREN, aged 43, which could well be Caroline nee DAVENPORT.

Janet

MollyMay likes this.
  9. janetbooth

The only child I am having any luck finding prior to the 1891 census record that MM found for you in post 4, is Elizabeth in the 1881 census of St Mary Newington (RG11/554, folio 133, page 14) where she is shown as Elizabeth Mc LARREN the niece of William & Mary A QUODLING - Mary A was a DAVENPORT prior to her marriage in 1863, image available to view on Ancestry. Sorry, not much help here.

Janet

MollyMay likes this.
  10. annabel

That's very interesting, I hadn't thought of a gypsy connection. And does the possibility that Joseph was Catholic as Janet has found tie in with that too?

11. annabel

That's a good find, I have a suitable Mary Ann as the sister of Caroline. Thank you. Lots to look at there