Which Robert McKay from Banff-shire died in Pennsylvania?

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Murfomurf, May 14, 2022.

1. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Well-Known Member

These Roberts appear in various Census and Ancestry entries with additional second names sometimes but I haven't found any with their birth registered with a second christian name. Nevertheless I have come across Robert Gordon McKay, Robert William McKay and Robert James McKay, referring to either one.

The first one I think could be the right one is:
    1. FamSearch Robert McKay
    Birth 22 Apr 1862
    Place Aberlour, Banffshire, Scotland
    Father James McKay
    Mother Isabella Anderson
    https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYYH-5J5

and the other:
    2. Scotlands People MACKAY ROBERT
    [Parents]JOHN MACKAY/ANN GARDEN
    Birth 24/7/1863
    Bap 6/9/1863
    Buckie, St Peter's [right next to Rathven, Banff-shire]

There is one Robert married to Eliza Escott (b. Tiverton, Devon Dec 1870), whom I think might have been a Military man. Children were Winifred Vera (1901) b. London; Louisa Gwendoline Loveday (1903) b. Tiverton, and Ivy Irene (1906) b. Tiverton.

The other I hypothesised married an Annie McKay, but both locations require sea voyages to marry- not unheard of in my tree):
    MACKAY ROBERT MCKAY ANNIE 1894 041/ 29; Thurso
    MACKAY ROBERT MACKAY ANNIE 1896 055/ 4; Rogart
    The Robert married to Annie is listed in several Censuses as a Slater.

The US Death Certificate refers to the Robert whose mother was Isabella Anderson but I don't know why or how Robert went to the USA:Robert James MacKay
    Death Age 48
    Birth Date 22 Apr 1864
    Birth Place Scotland
    Death Date 10 Apr 1913
    Death Place Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, USA
    Father James MacKay
    Mother Isabella Anderson
    Certificate Number 44107

My problem is that a Robert McKay is linked to a good DNA Match to me, but both of these guys come from a part of Scotland where I have never had relatives! I have plenty of Andersons (to match Isabella) but they are all from Perthshire or Stirling, never Banff or Inverness. Also, I've never encountered DNA Matches from Pennsylvania with any of my Scots surnames- but had that Robert left all his kids in the UK??

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Could these unknown Mackays be an offshoot from an earlier one of yours who moved away from the ones you do know?

Murfomurf likes this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

There is 1911 with Robert McKay born MORAYSHIRE, Garnsmouth. He is a Hall keeper, Stage door, Theatre. The three girls have the correct names although known as second names in at least one of them. Gwendoline, Winifred and Irene. Annie born Devon.
    Page 1
    Type 6
    Piece Folio 675
    RG 14

4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Edited to add to post #3
    Annie is 40 born Brandwich Devonshire
    Winifred is 9 born Hounslow Middlesex
    Gwendoline is 7 born Brandwich
    Irene is 5 born Brandwich.
    Too much of a coincidence to not be the same family but mother doesn't match.
    Also tree on Family Search has Robert WILLIAM Mckay born Banff as son of James McKay and Isabella Anderson with daughter Winifred Vera but wife is Eliza Escott

Murfomurf likes this.
  5. Murfomurf

I have no earlier Mackays- just Andersons. And yes- this Isabella could come from a family group who split from my Andersons from Glasgow and Perthshire. There would be a good deal of digging involved if noone here recognises these Andersons or Mackays as their own.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  6. Murfomurf

This is where I started to have doubts that Isabella Anderson and/or James McKay were not the parents of the same Robert in my Match's Tree.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  7. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

There is a Robert MACKAY in Allegheny, Pennsylvania looks who is the son of a William & Sabilla MACKAY living in Allegheny in the 1870 US census. William is shown as a 47 year old Sadler born in Scotland and Sabilla as 50 years old also born in Scotland. They have 10 children (presumably) the oldest being Andrew aged 23, the youngest Adam aged 8 and a Robert aged 10, all born Scotland. This family (enumerated as MACKIE) look as if they are in the 1861 census of Hamilton, Lanarkshire living at 16 Union Street.

Then there is a James & Annie E MACKAY living in Allegheny in the 1880 US census, he being a 41 year old Brewer born Ireland, she being 34 years old born Pennsylvania but of Irish descent together with 8 children including Robert J aged 17, all born Pennsylvania.

Yet another Robert J MACKAY living in Allegheny, this one born April 1863 in Scotland, a Mill Labourer who immigrated in 1887, married to a Mary E in 1898, she being born June 1865 in Maryland and is of German descent. This latter one sounds a more likely candidate to be your Robert James and trying to trace him back in the Scottish census records there is a Robert MACKAY aged 8 born Aberlour living at Green Street, Rothes, Moray with mother Isabella aged 35 born Cromdale, Inverness, and siblings Jane Ann, Isabella & Christina. No husband living with Isabella in either the 1871 or 1881 Scottish census records where she is still resident at Green Street, Rothes but with the addition of a daughter Jemima aged 9. No Robert living with them either. There is a Robert McKAY aged 25 born Scotland, a Labourer, departing from Glasgow aboard the Caledonian which arrived at Philadelphia on 6 March 1889 who could perhaps be a candidate but again nothing concrete. Marriage at Cromdale on 18 September 1858 for Isabella ANDERSON & James McKAY, all of which you probably already have, and which does tie in with the Pennsylvania death certificate for Robert James MACKAY, his wife Mary being the informant. Robert MACKAY's marriage to Mary E AULT on 19 January 1898 at Allegheny is available to view on Ancestry but unfortunately does not name his father, so again no further forward really. Sorry, I am not too sure that any of this really helps.

Janet

Murfomurf, Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  8. Murfomurf

I'm thinking perhaps we have both gone along a trail that seems to establish that ONE James Mackay whose parents were Anderson and Mackay died in Pennsylvania, BUT I need to find a new James MacKay with different parents who stayed in Scotland and somehow got joined to my family tree! Back to square 1 , or probably square 2! Thanks for sussing out the alternatives, plus the details on the other people who went to the USA will help eliminate a few Mackays from my continuing search.