Who does Henry Searles belong to.

Discussion in 'Essex' started by Findem, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I've sent an email to the ERO Archivists asking for a check in the Great Leighs Parish Marriage Register for the name of Mary Ann's father, I'll post the answer.

Did a couple of more Census checks and in the 1861, 71, 81 and 91 censuses, all four show Mary Ann's birthplace as Great Leighs.

2. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Well a couple of Emails later and the position is clearer although I don't have the answer to my query.

Established, the ERO do not have the Parish Marriage Registers post 1837 as the Great Leighs church admin caused me to believe, here is the final answer from the ERO.

"Thank you for your message.

I am sorry for the confusion that you have come across. Great Leighs retains the parish copy of its post-1837 marriage register. There are strong arguments of convenience and safety for it to be deposited here, but the choice is theirs.

The official duplicate copy (which may be what the parish administrator has in mind) will have been surrendered when full, not to the Essex Record Office but to the Essex Registration Service. Such registers are not available for the public to search and we are not permitted to publish them online. However, they are now stored here physically and they can be used to provide copy certificates (see https://www.essexrecordoffice.co.uk/services/certificate-copies/).

Marriages that took place at Great Leighs will also have been reported to the General Register Office, so you should also be able to obtain a copy certificate from them if you prefer (see https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate). The information is not available by any means other than a copy certificate.

Kind regards

Duty Archivist"

I have in two emails to the Archivists explained that I have received a copy of the marriage cert from the GRO and that it is the bride's father name on the cert I wish to confirm. :rolleyes: :)

Sandiep, Chimp and Daft Bat like this.