Who is Nellie Baines?

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by juliespav, Nov 27, 2014.

1. juliespav

juliespav Member

Could I ask if you clever people could sense check my (maybe flawed!) logic?

In 1891 we find my 2 x Great Grandfather William Baines b 1840 and his wife Elizabeth (Harris) b 1844 in Worksop, with daughter Mary Baines b 1865, son Samuel b 1873 and daughter Sarah b 1879, then Granddaughters Ada age 6 and Nellie Age2.

I haven't found either Granddaughters' parents as yet, but in 1896 Mary Baines marries Alfred Benton, then in 1911 we find Mary and Alfred living in Worksop, with children Arthur and Alfred, and "daughter" Mrs Nellie Beech with husband William Beech and child Mary Jane Beech.

Without Nellie's birth certificate I am trying to prove that Nellie is Mary Baines child before marriage to Alfred.

I have found birth entry 1888 Q3 Nellie Baines, but no trace on 1901 census. However I found Ellen Benton b 1888 as a visitor in 1901, the next door entries include an Elizabeth Beech. Mary and Alfred are together in 1901 with children Alfred and Arthur.

Birth records for 1888 only show one Ellen E Benton who I have found with her parents in 1901.

I believe Nellie Baines became Ellen Benton after Mary and Alfred married, does this seem logical that Nellie is Mary's child without evidence from the birth cert?

I can't find a marriage entry for Nellie and William Beech either as yet!

Many thanks for any help you can give,

Julie

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

It is certainly a possibility.

I have an Ann COWLING who became Ann MASKELL/MASCALL after her parents wed.

Neither can I! :(

3. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

I can't find a Baines/Beech marriage either, but did see this birth registration.

Phyllis A Beech, mmn Baines, Dec qrt 1913, Rotherham 9c 1673

juliespav likes this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I too looked without issue. Then tried to find Alfred before 1901 in case he was innocent of Fatherly persuasion. Unsure of findings in 1891 but is this he in 1881?
    1881 : RG11; Piece: 3305; Folio: 43; Page: 14;
    Alfred Benton b.1863ish
    Charles Whitehead abt 1814 Worksop, Nottinghamshire, England Head Worksop, Nottinghamshire
    Ellen Whitehead abt 1831 Worksop, Nottinghamshire, England Sister Worksop, Nottinghamshire
    Charles H. Northage abt 1863 Worksop, Nottinghamshire, England Nephew Worksop, Nottinghamshire Alfred Benton abt 1864 Worksop, Nottinghamshire, England Son (Head) (Head) Worksop, Nottinghamshire
    1871:
    : RG10; Piece: 3458; Folio: 51; Page: 32;

Also two elder sons of William & Elizabeth?
    1881 William's Family
    : RG11; Piece: 3304; Folio: 140; Page: 7
    John Baines 1869 Ragnell.In 1901 with wife Phoebe
    William b.1871 E.Drayton

I did think perhaps that considering the time span between Nellie's birth & a marriage that he may have stepped in after the fact. Possibly another lad was father to both girls & died or moved away. (over active morning imagination & trying to avoid ironing in forthcoming hotty)

juliespav likes this.
  5. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

the 1911 census says Nellie and William had only been married a year but only William beech in 1910 with an Ellen was to an Ellen Ann Norcup.....not much help sorry/
    there is a birth for Nellie Baines in Worksop vol 7b page 25 in 1888 3rd qtr

6. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

sorry see you already had a note of that birth...........see granddaughter Ada in 1901 is a servant in Yorkshire. she appears to have married a George Holliday in 1919 in worksop not that this helps you!

7. Devonmaid

Devonmaid New Member

Just to muddy the waters

Edna M Beech, Mothers M Name: Benton, Apr-May-Jun 1916, Worksop
    Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire
    VOLUME NUMBER: 7b
    PAGE NUMBER: 86

8. juliespav

juliespav Member

Thanks everyone, I think I've found a marriage for Nellie and William (Maybe!)

Ellen Baines 1910 Q4 Bolton Lancashire 8c 517 married either William T Beech or Frederick Murphy.

Daughter Mary Jane Beech is on the 1911 Census, born Q2 1911 Rotherham 9C 838.

So I'm guessing Nellie "needed" to be married! And Bolton is a bit of a trek from Worksop and Rotherham, I wonder why she was there?

With Nellie using the name Baines as an adult I think I must assume that Alfred Benton is not her natural father, subject to her birth certificate of course, which will go on my list to maybe purchase at some point!

Julie

Mealymoo likes this.
  9. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

According to LancashireBMD

Ellen BAINES married William T BEECH at Christ Church, Bolton in 1910

juliespav likes this.