Who were Evan Tedston's biological parents?

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Murfomurf, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Well-Known Member

Evan Tedston was born 28 Jan 1871 in Wednesbury, Staffordshire and registered in the GRO: TITSTON, EVAN RAMSDALE GRO Reference: 1871 M Quarter in WEST BROMWICH Volume 06B Page 839

The registration indicates his father was a Tedston/Titston (and several other variations including Testot) and mother was a Ramsdale.

All the other children in the Tedston family are registered with mother Browning, who is Esther Browning married to Elijah Tedston. What's more, after the 1871 Census Evan goes to live with Charles Vaughan and on subsequent Censuses Charles is named as Evan's father.

When Evan went to get a marriage license to marry Esther Maria Davies/Davis in 1903 he must have discovered somehow that he wasn't a Vaughan and had only been "adopted" as Charles Vaughan's son, still officially being a Tedston. So he married as a Tedston and his 2 daughters had surname Tedstone.

One daughter, Violet Tedstone married a Mr Jones whose daughter is a friend of mine on Ancestry. The other, Lilian Tedston, married my (many times removed etc) cousin James Done. Both my friend and I are puzzled about Evan's true origins and have run out of ideas! HELP!!

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I wonder if Evan's father was a brother of Elijah. I would also want to see the certificate! :D

Ma-dotcom, Sis and Murfomurf like this.
  3. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

He's very, very elusive. I'd go with the birth certificate as DB said.

Ma-dotcom, Murfomurf and Daft Bat like this.
  4. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Have you investigated Caroline Vaughan?
    I do not see a marriage of Caroline to Charles Vaughan, but all the children from Martha onwards have a mmn of Ramsdell (not a million miles away from Ramsdale).
    The first child - William (I cannot find a birth reg in West Brom.( but there is one in Dudley with a mmn of Davies)

Ma-dotcom and Murfomurf like this.
  5. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Yes MM I think Caroline is the link . Older child William registered as Teston in 1869. Caroline Ramsdale I think married a John Teadstill in 1856. On 1861 census as Tedstone with son Joseph.

6. MollyMay

You got there before me Grizel :) Well done8(:-)

7. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

We were just following the same pathways MM! An absorbing start to easter sat ( when I should really be doing something else......)
    Not sure what happened to husband John, but no time to look right now.

Ma-dotcom and Murfomurf like this.
  8. MollyMay

Snap! :D

(Joseph's - 1861 census - mmn was Ramsdale;))

Dogsday, Murfomurf and Grizel like this.
  9. Murfomurf

Awesome work MollyMay and Grizell! I was going to try Caroline next, but there were lots of other offspring to trace. I'll incorporate the new info in my Tree and tell my friend, the close blood relative! Woohoo!

Dogsday, Ma-dotcom, Grizel and 2 others like this.
  10. Murfomurf

A surprise ending to this puzzle that I discovered while tracing the origins of the other family members... The friend's husband is my SIXTH cousin through my father's Harvey line! So her children are related to me and there was no need to scrub her family from my Tree. I just collected a Jones family from Llandudno, Wales. Come on cousins!