Who were the parents of John Fare and Jennet Crookall?

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Oz Faremeister, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Oz Faremeister

Oz Faremeister Active Member

Hi everyone,

The earliest of my ancestors whom I can be certain of was John Fare. John Fare has to have been born sometime prior to 1685, as John Fare of Layton married Jennet Crookall of the Poole in the parish of Poulton on 27-02-1703/4 at All Hallows Church, Bispham, Lancashire (source: Lancashire parish records). Layton is nowadays a suburb of Blackpool in Lancashire.

John Fare, a yeoman of Layton died in 1729 and was buried 3-06-1729 at All Hallows Church, Bispham. I haven't found a record that states his age at the time that he died.

However, we can be certain this is the same John Fare, as probate records dated 1-12-1729 for John Fare of Layton, Bispham (source: Lancashire Archives ref: R35A/9) show that the estate of John Fare was valued on 28-11-1729 at 31 pounds and 1 shilling and that the estate was administered by his widow Jennet Fare and Cuthbert Crookall of Poole within Marton. The copy of the handwritten probate record doesn't seem to name anyone else of interest, such as their children.

Jennet died as Jennet Fare (a poor widow) of Layton and was buried 27-02-1742/43 at All Hallows Church, Bispham, Lancashire (source: Register Burials: 1720-1753, page 31, entry 8)

This is all fine and well, but where and when were John Fare and Jennet Crookall born, and who were their parents? I have not been able to find a baptism record for either of John Fare or Jennet Crookall. Nor have I been able to determine how Jennet Crookall is related to Cuthbert Crookall. It is interesting though, that in the generations following their marriage, Cuthbert Fare is a common name. Prior to this marriage between John and Jennet there don't seem to be any Cuthbert Fare's in the Lancashire records. This makes me wonder whether Cuthbert Crookall could be Jennet's father and/or brother. Note that a Cuthbert Crookall of the Whiniheyes married a Sarah Bankes of Layton on 25 Jul 1706 at All Hallows, Bispham, which is just a few years after Jennet Crookall married John Fare.

There is a family tree in familysearch however that is clearly wrong, as John Fare cannot have married at the age of 12 and his alleged father is also far too old and so is Jennet Crookall!!! So that tree should be discounted entirely.

I do have a reasonable theory as to who John Fare's parents are, but was wondering whether any of you Top Dog experts might come to a different conclusion.

Given that the Fare family lived in the Fylde district of Lancashire for many generations, and many of them were small independent farmers (yeoman) I think it is most probable that John's parents were also from thereabouts, but to date I haven't considered whether there could be any possibilities outside of Lancashire.

Note that Fare can be alternatively spelt ffare in some of the handwritten records, the ff being handwriting for the capital F as some records also spell February as ffebruary. Fare and Fair and Faire may also be the same name.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

There is a will available from the Lancashire Archives for a Cuthbert Crookall who died in 1743 (dated 26/4/2743) a yeoman - FMP transcription have the place as Peel within Little Marton Poolton.

Oz Faremeister likes this.
  3. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

Also in the Lancashire Archives catalogue is a probate record dated 1662 for a Cuthbert Crookall:-
    Testator's name: CUTHBERT CROOKALL
    Occupation/status: HUSBANDMAN
    Place: THE PEELE IN THE TOWN SHINE OF LITTLE/GREATE MARTO

I imagine this will be of interest, though you may have already seen it?

4. Oz Faremeister

Thanks Sue, I hadn't seen that one. A grandfather to Jennet perhaps?

Sue036 likes this.
  5. Oz Faremeister

I think we can safely eliminate Jenet Crookall of Warbreck who was baptised 4-05-1662. That makes her much too old at the time she would be having the last of her children with John Fare (it's rather doubtful she'd be having children in her mid-50's and beyond). That Jenet Crookall has siblings William Crookall bap 9-9-1674 and Joseph Crookall bap 21-1-1682/3. Their father was Robert Crookall of Warbreck who was probably bap Aug 1635 and their grandfather was William Crookall.

However, it opens up the possibility that the Cuthbert Crookall who has the probate record in 1662 could be related (perhaps a brother) to that William Crookall, as from the baptism records of his children, William Crookall was alive until at least 1645/6 in Warbreck and probably was buried 17-11-1646 at All Hallows.

Unfortunately I can't see any baptism records for the children of the Cuthbert Crookall who has the 1662 probate record.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  6. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Family Search has a baptism for Female Crookall, name unreadable 7th Feb 1690 father Thomas St Cuthberts Lytham.
    I have considered the dates of both Jennet and Johns baptisms but perhaps John at least could have been a late baptism. Jennet, if she was baptised getting on to her first birthday then an age of 13 at marriage was legal. Wasn’t it? Or was it? :nailbiting:

7. Oz Faremeister

I've done a lot of Lancashire research and have never seen a marriage of anyone remotely that young. People were mainly in their 20's when they married, sometimes early 30's, occasionally even older. But it looks like I'd better take out my Findmypast subscription again to check for the original records as some of the info on familysearch or Wikitree can be a bit dodgy.

8. Moff

Moff Well-Known Member

It used to be legal for girls to marry at 12 and boys 14. I seem to remember that it was as recently as 1929 that the age was raised to 16 for both.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  9. Oz Faremeister

The only female baptism in 1690 in the Lancashire parish project is:

Baptism: 10 May 1690 All Hallows, Bispham, Lancashire, England
    Agnes Crookall - dau of Law. Crookall
    Abode: Blackpoole
    Register: Baptisms 1666 - 1719, Page 23, Entry 1
    Source: LDS Film 1526145

So not Jennet Crookall's baptism it seems.

10. Archie's Mum

On Lancashire OPC this comes up as Ann? Crookall, same details.

11. Oz Faremeister

Wondering if someone can translate the word that is written between Whitholme and Carleton??
    upload_2020-4-15_13-44-32.png

Wondering whether this could be my Jennet's mum or another relative. She was buried 15-01-1690 at St Chad, Poulton le Fylde. Unfortunately there is no age or status listed in the transcription

12. Archie's Mum

13. Oz Faremeister

And this is John Fare and Jennet Crookall's wedding record 27-02-1703
    upload_2020-4-15_14-2-26.png

Archie's Mum likes this.
  14. Archie's Mum

There is a marriage of a Jennet Caplan and William KROKALL 7th January 1665/1666 St Chad Poulten le Fylde both of Marton

15. Oz Faremeister

Beat me to it Sue. Variously translated as William Crokall or Krokall married Jennet Caplan on 7-01-1665 at St Chad, Polton le Fylde (both of Marton).
    upload_2020-4-15_14-15-31.png Could this be her parents marriage? It's getting close to fitting the time frame for the birth of my Jennet Crookall if she was William and Jennet's daughter. It is annoying not to be able to so far find a baptism to prove it.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  16. Archie's Mum

Burial of a William Crookall of Whiteholme was buried last day 1670/1
    at St Pauls Marton. 28th Feb 1670/1

17. Oz Faremeister

Hi Sue, I think we are on the right track with the Whitehilme/Marton records pertaining to William Crookall. I have been unravelling it today and will post a proposed tree in a day or two. Its complicated by multiple spelling variations such as Crowcall, Krookall, Crookhall etc.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  18. Archie's Mum

There are children baptised to a William Krookall before the marriage in 1665 so Im wondering if Jennet Caplan may be his second wife. Also a baptism for an Elizabeth Crookall in 1669 just before Williams demise. Maybe Elizabeth became known as Jennet after her mother dies in 1690. All these occured at St Chad. Just a thought....:nailbiting:

19. Archie's Mum

Family Search has Williams surname as Profall

20. Oz Faremeister

Hi Sue and Archie's Mum,
    I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at the attached document as it contains my thoughts so far for some branches of the Crookall family (it may well contain some errors but it is my best shot so far). Best to go to page 6 where my Jennet Crookall is who married John Fare and then scroll upwards.

The big problem remains the lack of a baptism for Jennet Crookall and seemingly her brother Cuthbert Crookall to prove where they sit in the tree. If their father was William Crookall they may have been born only shortly before he died (that's if he died in 1682 rather than earlier).

There is also a Crookall family in Warbreck, but I think they are a separate branch which I've shown in the latter part of the document for completeness.

If I have made any clangers please feel free to point them out.

Attached Files: