Who were the parents of John Fare and Jennet Crookall?

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Oz Faremeister, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Oh my goodness. Will try my best after Aldi. :nailbiting::reading:;)

Oz Faremeister likes this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I think you have all there is to find there but I can’t help I don’t believe. :headbang: Other than my thoughts that Jennet could be Elizabeth.:sceptical:

3. Oz Faremeister

Oz Faremeister Active Member

Here are a couple of tree diagrams to make it easier to see. I am having difficulty separating the Marton Crookalls from the Whihoulme Crookalls, though I do suspect that Thomas Crowcall who married Elizabeth Hebson and William Crockall who married Ellin Whiteside could be brothers. Still can't find a record to prove where the two Cuthberts and Jennet sit in the mix (if indeed they do). The similarities in the family namings are quite suggestive, but don't prove anything since it is just those 3 people that don't seem to have baptisms, which means I could be on the wrong track and their ancestry can't be determined, as per Sue's feeling.

Attached Files:

4. Oz Faremeister

An interesting theory but unfortunately there's no way to prove it. Jennet and John Fare's last child born at Layton was Elizabeth Fare, baptised 15-09-1723 at All Hallows Church, Bispham, Lancashire. If Jennet was originally Elizabeth Crookall baptised 16-05-1669, then she would have been about 54 when Elizabeth was born, which seems a fair bit too old. I'd better see whether that Elizabeth from 1669 married someone else or died young to rule her more definitively out.

It is still an interesting problem to try and nut out this ancestry.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  5. Oz Faremeister

There doesn't seem to be a marriage for an Elizabeth Crookall baptised 16-05-1669 that fits. An Elizabeth Crookall of Marton was buried 20-12-1674 at St Chad, Polton le Fylde, however she wasn't listed as the daughter of anyone even though she would only have been 5 if this was her burial.

Regarding Jennet Crookall, her marriage says she was from The Peele within the parish of Poolton. The Peel is part of the area called Marton and Marton was part of the parish of Poulton le Fylde, hence why many events took place at St Chad in Poulton le Fylde.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  6. Oz Faremeister

After quite a bit more work I think I have managed to satisfactorily unravel and separate the various branches of the Crookall families from Marton, Warbreck and Whithoulme within Carleton.

In the absence of a baptism, whilst I can't prove who the parents of my Jennet are, it seems most probable that her parents were William Crookall and Jenet Caplan, her grandparents were William Crockall and Jenet Singleton and her great grandparents were William Crockall and Ellin Whiteside. This most likely explains why John Fare and Jennet Crookall named their first son William Fare. Their later son Cuthbert Fare was most likely named after Jennet's brother Cuthbert Crookall. Most of the other children's names variously appear in the Crookall and Fare families.

I've attached a long form family tree in PDF and an excel form diagram that shows the various branches of the Crookall families for anyone's future interest. Thanks for your help with this problem.

Attached Files:

Sue036 and GrannyBarb like this.
  7. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I haven't been following all of this, but I'm glad you've made some sense of it.

8. Oz Faremeister

I have received some new information from two Blackpool historians (sadly both are now deceased). Their claim is that John Fare's father was William Faire (who was Thomas Faire's younger brother). This conclusion is made on the basis that William Faire married Ellen Bailey (daughter of John Bailey and Margaret), and that John Fare in due course inherited some of the Bailey's land (which would seem somewhat more likely if John Fare was William Faire's son, rather than his nephew).

Unfortunately there don't seem to be any parish records to verify the marriage of William Faire to Ellen Bailey (which would have to be in the period 1658 to 1686). Nor can I find a baptism record for Ellen Bailey, or a death record assuming that she died as Ellen Faire/Fare. I also haven't found a probate/will for William Faire (who may have died as William Fair in Layton in 1719). So until such time as I can visit the Lancashire Archives in person to follow up this lead by looking up the land transactions, it means that John Fare's father was most likely to be either William Faire (bap 1641) or Thomas Faire (bap 1634/5), but at least it seems, one way or the other, that the consensus is that John Fare's grandfather was Nicholas Faire. So that is a step forward at last.

If any of you can find something more regarding William Faire (baptised 1741 at All Hallows, son of Nicholas Faire) then I'd be happy to hear about it.

Or (and this seems doubtful) is there anywhere you can look up these old land transactions online rather than having to visit the Lancashire Archives in person???

9. Oz Faremeister

Just a final update: some recent information, which has been verified through a search of the National Archives, indicates fairly conclusively that John Fare of Layton's father was William Faire of Layton Raikes (bap. 10-11-1641) and in turn his grandfather was Nicholas Faire.

John and Jennet Fare's surname is spelt Faire in two of the new records, with their son John spelt as Fare. However, the key piece of information is that William Faire and later John Fare came to inherit a small piece of land from the tenement of the Bailey/Bayley family. The piece of land called the Good Crop (4 acres) came through William Faire's marriage to Ellen Bailey and was inherited via the will of Ellen Bailey's brother, William Bayley of Great Layton (the land was shared equally between Ellen, wife of William Fare of Layton Rakes and his wife Alice Bayley).
    upload_2020-8-18_20-32-31.png

On 6/7-11-1733 John Fare, a blacksmith from Layton with Warbreck and his mother, the widowed Jennet Fare (nee Crookall) leased a parcel of land and house for 31 pounds to Alexander Smithson. This parcel of land, called Furthest Field was part of Bailey's Tenement. Since it is not the same parcel of land that John's grandfather William Faire had inherited with his wife Ellen Bailey, this means that Furthest Field was most likely inherited either by Jennet's deceased husband, John Fare of Layton or less likely earlier on by his father William Faire.
    upload_2020-8-18_20-40-25.png

Also a 1736 record for a lease and release of 2.5 acres of land at Layton called the Twaalands and the Field before the Door, involves Jennet Faire, widow of John Faire of Layton with Warbreck as one of 4 parties, including John Bayley of Layton. This is another demonstration of the Fare/Faire and Bailey/Bayley family connection.
    upload_2020-8-18_20-31-50.png

Although there is no baptism record for any of William Faire's children, John Fare/Faire of Layton was most likely named after his maternal grandfather John Bailey (Ellen Bailey's father). In turn. John and Jennet Fare's first born son William Fare was probably named after his paternal grandfather William Faire and possibly also his maternal grandfather William Crookall. As Cuthbert is a name from the Crookall family, their younger son Cuthbert Fare was probably named after his uncle Cuthbert Crookall (who was the co-executor of John Fare of Layton's will). Another son, John Fare (who later became a blacksmith) was probably simply named after his father, whereas another son Thomas Fare was probably named after his great uncle Thomas Faire.

I had previously for some time incorrectly thought John Fare's father could have been William Faire's older brother Thomas Faire, but I feel that the evidence involving the multiple transacations involving the Bailey's land, together with the evidence of the William Faire/Ellen Bailey marriage and the naming pattern of John and Jennet Fare's own children means that it seems fairly conclusive that his father was William Faire.

One very important learning that came from this was the importance of searching the national archives for evidence of land transactions if your ancestors were farmers. It could shed a light on the connections between different families, as land or leases were often passed down through multiple generations.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Sue036 and Daft Bat like this.