Who were their children?

Discussion in 'Glamorgan' started by The Artful Dodger, Sep 1, 2014.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Owen Hopkins is my wife's 1st cousin and she has set me to labour on Labour Day on a task that may be a labour in vain:eek:.

Owen and his wife - Catherine -nee Bevan - had [according to the 1911 census] - been married since 1887 and had produced 10 live births. Sadly 8 of these 10 had died by 1911.

I have the 2 surviving children of 1911 - Edwin Peter who died 20 November 1951 in Swansea and Owen who died 2nd q. 1942 in Swansea.

2 other children made it from birth to the appropriate census:
    1891 - we have Maud age 1 month - RG12/4481/111/48. Maud died 1st q. 1892

Maud, along with her brother Edwin Peter and parents are now accounted for.

1901 - we now have 3 children of Owen and Catherine - Edwin Peter, Owen [4th q. 1892] and Winifred Rose [2nd q. 1898] - RG13/ 5079/9/10. Winifred Rose died 3rd q. 1905.

So 2 children's births and deaths are accounted for - no certificates - and 6 others are unknown.

This is my 'mission' - if I choose to accept [and will need help on] is to:
    1] Find the birth names of the other 6 and and their deaths
    2] Obtain death cert.'s for all 8 children to see if there is a similarity between any of them

Of all my researching so far this is the worst case of infant or youthful mortality - excluding my Mormon links with more than 1 spouse - that I have encountered.

2. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Colin, it may well be that they were stillbirths and unfortunately the stillbirth register didn't start until around 1927. I have the same in my family in that there were apparently 22 children and I have 7 unaccounted for unless of course my great grandfather was including his illegitimate children (by 3 other women - what a lad hey!!!).:D

3. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

But the census of 1911 says 10 Live births and 8 died [presumably after being born alive].

So Liane, I have a surname - Hopkins [not a bad as Jones - but difficult]

Surely whoever compiled the census [and Owen did sign it] would know the difference between live and still-born, don't you think?

4. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

From what I've experienced in my tree, babes who were stillborn weren't given name, or at least had no name recorded in the burial entry.

I have one babe for which the burial entry stated it was born and buried the same day which might signify it was stillborn or perhaps lived for a brief period. The babe was given a name but there didn't appear to be a baptism, that is the only one in my tree to be named and I suspect showing a name on the burial entry was perhaps an act of kindness and sympathy on the part of the Rector.