1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who were these women?

Discussion in 'Criminal Ancestors' started by The Artful Dodger, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

There is quite a lot on John Arnel, actually John ARNDELL on australianhistoryresearch.info
    He arrived free on the Marquis of Cornwallis in 1796. His father was Thomas ARNDELL who arrived on the First Fleet transport Friendship in 1788 as assistant surgeon. John stayed behind for his medical education arriving later. He was appointed assistant to the surgeon on Norfolk Island. He is thought to have drowned in the Hawkesbury in 1805 however he turns up later in England remarrying.
    ARNDELL Park just up the road from me is named after Thomas ARNDELL.

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  2. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

The more I think about it -- the more I like this baptism. Earlier [post#6] Maria claimed to be from Newcastle. If that place today is Newcastle upon Tyne and Maria was baptised in Tynemouth then the distance between the 2 places is about 8 miles.

{Post #6] indicates that Maria and Elizabeth were sisters-in- law and widowed, but I wonder -- could my Elizabeth have been 'deserted' by her husband and she then reverted to her maiden [birth name]? I have not found anything to indicate marriages for either Maria or Elizabeth prior to the date of thir conviction nor anything that links Maria to Elizabeth.

The lives that the 2 women led in Australia - Elizabeth and James Brumby and Maria and John Arn[de]ll certainly appear to be much better than what they would have experienced had they stayed in England. For then it would appear that crime did pay!!

GrannyBarb likes this.
  3. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

I wondered if Elizabeth was married to one of Marias brothers, or other way round which would mean it would be difficult to find marriage or birth cos no maiden name ......I.m waffling sorry:confused:

4. The Artful Dodger

I have my doubts, Sandie, but am not sure we'll ever find Maria's connection to Elizabeth. As far as Maria is concerned she really has no connection to my family and so I think I'll leave her in peace.

As for Elizabeth she lived with James for quite some time before marrying him in Tasmania - possibly 18 March 1811. It looks like she gave birth to 3 sons - William and John baptised 11 March 1811 and James born about 1814 and registered in Launceston, Tasmania. I think all these births and the marriage could well have been in Port Dalrymple which is now known as George Town and that town is about 70 miles from Longford where they are both buried.

What I have found on their 3 sons is as follows:
    William Brumby born about 1805 died 13 May 1841 in Launceston.

John Brumby born about 1807 in George Town died 18 August 1825 and is buried in Longford.

James Brumby born about 1814 died in Longford 1855 registration # 479.

and possible marriages:
    James to Marianne Hood or Mary Anne Flood in Longford registration #3617 25 Oct 1836
    William to Ann Mansfied in Launceston registration #772 29 July 1824

As for their children it would appear that James had 6 and William 3. The Brumby's are not really an integral part of my tree so are of minimal interest at this time.

I am impressed with the efforts of all on my behalf.

Sandiep and Daft Bat like this.
  5. Archie's Mum

William and John were both baptised on the same day James and Elizabeth married. St John’s Launceston 18/3/1811
    James was baptised 16/3/1814.
    Can’t find any more children.

6. Archie's Mum

Definatley Marianne Hood on the original register. Tasmania Names Index

7. The Artful Dodger

Thanks, Sue I couldn't find any more either. I think we can close the book on these folks.

8. The Artful Dodger

Interesting. Been looking up this place on Wiki and also with connection to my Horton's a place called Cattai Creek which I also believe was once populated in part by Thomas Arndell.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  9. Archie's Mum

Strange coincidence?
    When John Arndell/ Arnel arrived in 1796 on the Marquis of Cornwallis so did a certain Irish convict by the name of Maria Annesley :headbang:

10. The Artful Dodger

Sometimes "truth IS stranger than fiction" but 2 Maria's arriving on different ships in the same year - one being an Irish convict and the other was supposedly from Cauton, near Nottingham. Maybe one of these ladies or more were named AINSLIE??

Checked Google - John Arndell 1796 - produced tons of results [mostly family trees] and they seem to state that he formed a relationship on board "Marquis of Cornwallis" with a lady named Elizabeth Jackson an Irish convict.

Who knows??