Why I love Trove

Discussion in 'Fantastic Finds' started by Peregrine, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

Why I love Trove, which is created and maintained by the National Library of Australia, and which I use primarily for its newspaper archives, but also for looking up books, web sites, images and all sorts of other things about Australia. You can find Trove at http://trove.nla.gov.au/

I have been working on a part of my husband’s family tree. Specifically Martha Allen, daughter of Joshua Allen and his wife Mary Ann Nicholls, who were transported to Australia for forgery. Martha and some of her siblings travelled to Lord Melville with their mother on the Lord Melville in Feb 1817.

I knew that Martha married a John Rush Moore in 1825 and that they had a son Frederick Murray Allen Moore in 1827 and another son Benjamin much later in 1849. I also knew that after John Moore’s death Martha married a man named Thomas Pattison in Nov 1863.

But someone contacted me via Ancestry about Frederick Moore’s wife Mahala Baldock and as I do in such cases, I have done some more research in the last 24 hours or so, including quite a bit of trawling on Trove.

On Trove in his death notice published in Sydney Morning Herald I learnt that John Rush Moore was the son of the late James Moore, Vicar of St. Pancras. So I researched the Rev James Moore and discovered he was the Vicar of St Pancras from 17 May 1814 until his death in 1846. During his incumbency the new St. Pancras and other churches were built in the parish: he preached the sermon when the Bishop of London consecrated the New St Pancras on 7 May 1822.

In the death notice for Martha Pattison (previously Moore and nee Allen) I discovered she had a daughter whose name was given as Mrs L Jacobs and that she was the relict of Lieutenant J. R. Moore, R.N. – I had not known he was a Naval Officer! (I have not found his service record yet – I’ve forgotten where to go looking, perhaps someone can remind me.)

So I hunted for a woman named Moore who married a man named Jacobs, and eventually discovered that Julia Moore married Lewis Jacobs in 1852 at Gosford. But I could not find her birth, so I started looking for a death and found her obituary, which was published in The Richmond River Herald and Northern Districts Advertiser on 10 Jul 1908. She died aged 75 years on 5 Nov 1908 and her husband Lewis Jacobs was a J.P.; more importantly I learnt that she was born in New York!! So she was born about 1832 in New York and according to the obituary the family then returned to St Pancras when she was little but then returned to Australia when she was in her teens. From a separate death notice learnt that she had no children but she was the aunt of some individuals I have not discovered yet (named Chas. Sampson and F. L. Moore).

From her death notice I learnt the middle name for Mahala Moore nee Baldock was Marion.

I have more to do on this family, but it certainly amuses me that Martha Allen, the daughter of a couple of forgers transported to Australia; married a Naval Officer who was the son of the Vicar of St Pancras, she then travelled to New York, and London before returning to Australia. Potentially she must have had other children either born in New York or in St Pancras, which explains the big gap between the two of which I was originally aware.

Now all I have to do is become more proficient at using the British Newspaper Archives and the various sources for US newspapers.

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

While you are there one can't help getting involved in editing script & thus reading more about people such as the above.

3. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

You too!:rolleyes::D

4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

And the classifieds! :)

Mealymoo, Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  5. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Found myself doing same in Brits newspapers!!! Haven't got time for that. am meant to be finding news of Family. Not happ'nin'.
    Heading off now , a bit of reading before it gets too loud next door !

Archie's Mum, Mealymoo and Sis like this.
  6. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

I spend hours reading newspapers, none of it to do with my family. I trawl for hours.

Trove is great. I found an old personal ad, searching for a family member last heard of heading into the Outback about twelve years previously. He was 11,000 miles from where I expected him to be!