Why The Move!

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Chimp, May 14, 2019.

1. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Have you ever wondered why someone moved so far away from where they were born?

I have one fellow, Richard Sherwood, who was baptised on 6th September 1807 in St. Peter, Shipton-Bellinger, Hampshire, to parents John & Elizabeth.

He next pops up in Brampton Bryan, Herefordshire on 16th November 1836 where he marries Mary Morgan.

What makes someone living in Shipton-Bellinger, Hampshire move 112 miles to the middle of nowhere?

Dogsday, GrannyBarb and MollyMay like this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

3. Chimp

But how do you meet someone at that distance? Brampton Bryan back then was all dirt tracks and horse and cart, I lived there for nearly 30 years and the only street light then was the telephone box by the bus stop.

Dogsday, MollyMay and Daft Bat like this.
  4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Work, probably.

My great Grandfather was born and baptised in Tenterden, Kent. He moved up to Hull, 250 miles away, came back down to Tenterden to get married and then went back up to Hull. His next stop was Bridlington, Yorkshire and then down to St Albans in Hertfordshire.

Your chap might have met his wife somewhere else - where they both worked, for instance - but wed in her home village.

Then again, maybe he was running from the law.... :nailbiting:

Dogsday, Bonzo Dog, Half Hour and 6 others like this.
  5. Chimp

He must have had some money behind him as he bought the rites to the Stowe turnpike gate, near Knighton.

Dogsday, Ma-dotcom, Half Hour and 3 others like this.
  6. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

In 1871 my great grandfather, then 18, was serving his apprenticeship as a carpenter in Cumberland but by 1876 had moved to Birmingham and married there. The family joke is that he got fed up having to work with wet wood. :D

Dogsday, Ma-dotcom, Half Hour and 6 others like this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Par for the course back then here. Two days travel, there and back to pick up the tea and sugar. And get the latest baby baptised while you were there. No thanks.:sceptical:

8. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

In my family, it would appear that anyone who moved a distance from their home did so for work. The possible exception to this was my paternal grandparents. My paternal grandfather, born and bred in North Devon, met and married my grandmother from Hampshire, who was working in her sister's shop in Ilfracombe. My grandmother had delusions of grandeur and persuaded my grandfather that life would be so much better in London - so they upped and went. It didn't exactly turn out the way she expected as they ended up living near the docks in the East End, but she still managed to worm her way into local 'society', such as it was in that neck of the woods, even encouraging my grandfather to join the Freemasons so that she could attend such things as the annual Freemason's Ball :eek:

Dogsday, Ma-dotcom, Chimp and 6 others like this.
  9. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

One of mine, born in Twickenham, went to Middlesborough, and married there,
    to a girl who lived in the next street to his family home in Twickenham. They had 3 children there, a further 6 children in Limehouse London, before returning briefly to Twickenham (not a great distance), to have 3 more and then back to the East End.
    Work must have been the reason.

Ma-dotcom, Chimp, Bay Horse and 2 others like this.
  10. Steve Bumstead

Steve Bumstead Well-Known Member

Perhaps the clue is in the the turnpike rights. I've no idea how these were managed, but perhaps advertised and bought and sold through some agency - he had money he wanted to invest and that took him to Herefordshire. If so, shame he did it just as the railways were about to appear!

Ma-dotcom, Chimp, AnnB and 2 others like this.
  11. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

A lot of my ancestors moved between coalfields. If families go missing in the census from Flintshire in North Wales, I know they'll be around the South Wales pits, or Stoke on Trent, or Durham, or the East Lancs coalfields.

I suspect that many responded to 'situations vacant' in the newspapers. Many of these positions involved lodgings, sometimes a cottage with the job.

Dogsday, Ma-dotcom, Chimp and 4 others like this.
  12. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Time traveler being added to your resume?

Dogsday, Ma-dotcom, Daft Bat and 2 others like this.
  13. Chimp

It would be another 25 years before the train arrived in our town. It being a rural area there would still be tolls to pay by farmers bringing their animals to market.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  14. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

The furthest travelled of my relatives has to be a distant cousin who was a ship's engineer. He moved from St Helena, South Atlantic to Dalton in Furness and from there to Hartlepool, where he died at the tender age of 32. His Hartlepool born widow then moved to live in Kensington.

My wife's ggg grandmother, who lived to be 90, was born near Coventry but moved to St Marylebone, where she married her Falmouth born husband and had 4 children. Three more children were then born in Falmouth, after which the family moved to Coventry, stopping off en route in Somerset where her eighth child was born.

15. Archie's Mum

We all know how Australia was populated. My great great grandparents came from Cornwall, after marrying at the tender ages of 16 in Cornwall. They came to South Australia with a sister and her family, brought into the world the first of 23 children then moved to Broken Hill in NSW, walking, where they had the remainder of the tribe. Then some of their offspring moved from Broken Hill to Kalgoorlie in Western Australia and then my grandmother then moved to Sydney after marrying my grandfather who came from Scotland to Kalgoorlie.
    It’s over 9000 miles from Cornwall to South Australia and when you are 16, how brave would that be. They came to mine copper and then gold.

kernowmaid, Chimp, Half Hour and 5 others like this.
  16. Dogsday

Dogsday Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound as if he had time for work :D

17. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

More time than @Archie's Mum's great greats did. :eek:

18. Archie's Mum