Wilde Family of Lancashire

Discussion in 'Lancashire' started by MattFow, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

He was buried 12 March 1843, age 47 at St Marylebone, Westminster and his abode is given as Stingo Lane.

2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

3. MattFow

MattFow Active Member

Thank you everyone for your amazing help. Furthest I’ve been able to go on any branch for a while

AnnB, Ma-dotcom, MollyMay and 3 others like this.
  4. MattFow

MattFow Active Member

So looking at all this information and trying to work out exactly whether this is the right line to follow, all names seem to match up. DO people think it is the right line with a high percentage of probability?

5. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Still cant find a George died in Young in 1914. Looked all over the place.:( In fact no Wildes, all spellings, at all registered in Young.

MattFow likes this.
  6. MattFow

MattFow Active Member

7. Archie's Mum

Just found a William Wilde born 1864 at Young father George mother Matilda. Promising?
    Ah ha. George Wilde married Matilda Betland 1862 at Forbes. What do you think? Are we homing in?
    It looks like Matilda's father was convict John Betland. Now I'm in my element.
    The family seems to be around Grenfell which as you are aware is near Young....will do some snooping tomorrow.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    MollyMay, Ma-dotcom and MattFow like this.
  8. Archie's Mum

I’m not sure about this George. He seems to have died 1886. A My Heritage tree has him born in Manchester in 1828, of which I cannot find, and marrying Matilda when she was 15. I will say though that John Betland was certainly talked up in a memorial to him by his son. A great Australian pioneer, born in Corsica (perhaps Devon) sailing here in 1824 (1818 convict) using his scientific background (larceny) treating animals dying of anthrax......it got him too. Ah well. Gild the Lilly.
    Name is actually John Butland on 1828 census Mandurama, Bathurst.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Ma-dotcom likes this.
  9. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

His father's name on the Australia Death Index is given as George.

Archie's Mum and Ma-dotcom like this.
  10. Archie's Mum

Yes I know. That’s why I’m dubious.

11. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Well-Known Member

It sounds to me as though the unfortunate Mr Wilde may have suffered a mental illness which made him peculiar and annoying. It's a wonder he wasn't roughed up in jail- maybe his small size made others hold back. Sorry- off piste!

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  12. Grams

Grams New Member

Hi Matt, found your thread after goggling "John Edward Wilde prison", so have now joined this forum. J.E. was my g/mothers g/father, she being the daughter of Joseph. My g/m Hursey Wilde always said that Margaret was Wilde by name and wilder by nature. I haven't seen the report about Margaret & Henrietta so now I understand that statement. Could you get back to me to further this conversation please

Ma-dotcom, AnnB, MollyMay and 6 others like this.
  13. Grams

Grams New Member

1. Where did your mum get this info? Perhaps the 1841 census?
    2. Do you have any proof that Mary Ann's parents were John Edward & Margaret Wilde?
    3. I have estimated Margaret's dob as 1801-04 after looking at the various census and workhouse records.
    4. Having seen the newspaper article re J E's release from debtors prison, and have placed them at Balbriggen (not far from the Rush house estate in Ireland). John Wilde & Margaret Dowdall were married on 20/1/1820 followed baptism of Mary Anne on 7/11/1820. Joseph Wilde was baptised 11/11/1821. What happened to that Mary Anne? Perhaps she died in Ireland or perhaps was left with rels in Cheshire (Stockport?)? Stockport has been mentioned in a census. Out of interest I checked with Find my Past re the Rush estate (above) they checked their copy but couldn't help and suggested the only course was to get a "reader" at the BM to check it out (where the original is kept).
    5. What I think is strange is that it would appear that 3 people of that family came to Australia, Mary Ann, John Edward jnr and my g/mother Hursey and Hursey never referred to them (to my Dad) even though she kept in touch with family back in the UK and even tavelled home a number of times. I will end off for now as I could carry on for much longer.

Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  14. MattFow

MattFow Active Member

Sorry for not responding sooner to anyone, been away for a few days with the in-laws for an early Christmas.

@Grams I don't have any proof about the parentage of Mary Ann, only going off what Mum gave me and what has been found here by others and by myself.

Maybe it is the wrong Mary Ann with the wrong family or something but that is why I've come on here to try and clarify things :)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  15. Grams

Grams New Member

Pleased you're back. I thought I may have lost contact. There are so many Mary Ann Wildes it's hard to know who is who. Perhaps we could start with her here in Australia. Did she go directly to Adelaide and how did she meet JWP?
    Do you know when she (&he) emigrated? Were there any siblings? What were their childrens names.
    And another way to check is DNA. Have you by any chance had that done. I'm on Ancestry and this branch of my family tree is under the name of O'Brien Family Tree. If we could confirm a relationship then we'd know that you were on the right track.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  16. MattFow

MattFow Active Member

@Grams basically all I have is everything I posted in the original post.

17. Archie's Mum

[​IMG]

8th April 1839 Old Bailey.
    A few more appearances as prosecutor or witness at The Old Bailey for John Edward Wilde.
    So he had an umbrella shop at Stingo Lane in 1839

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  18. Grams

Grams New Member

Thank you Archie's Mum. Yes, have seen this and a few others where he acted as a witness. I think that he was quite a character.
    There is also a newspaper article relating to the daughter Henrietta in the Morning Advertiser 30/10/1855 I found on FMP under "Annoying a Tradesman". (A tobacconist Philip Silcock of Edgware Road). In the 1851 census there was a Phillip Selleck the grandson of Margaret and from the ages of the daughters Henrietta was the mother most likely. Young Philip was born in 1847 and registered as Philip Wilde but later took on the name of Philip Selleck Wilde. I'd say that Henrietta had every right to "annoy" the tobacconist.

I'm still trying to prove that Matt's Mary Anne belongs to this family but without any reference in the Australian records she could be anyone of dozens. I haven't been able to put a birth date to her or her three older siblings. The eldest boy Joseph (my ggfather) was born in Ireland and just to confuse the issue there was another Mary Anne Wilde born before Joseph but I presume she died either in Ireland or in their travels before 1829. I have found a Mary A Wilde a servant at 6 Wilton Place Belgravia born in London in 1851 census. Perhaps it's her?:sceptical: Thank you Archie's Mum for your input. Very happy to accept all help

Archie's Mum and Ma-dotcom like this.
  19. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Hi Matt

I was looking at the genealogysa website and they have a record of a Mary A Wild arriving in Adelaide in 1850. Also the 1850 marriage record to John Platts. Unfortunately you have to pay to see details.

From this, on localwiki.org/,adel I found Reg Butler's database of overseas arrivals. This records a Mary A Wild arriving March 1850 on the Trafalgar, a servant from Middlesex born c 1825.
    However I haven't been able to find her on any of the ship records for the Trafalgar so far or on the written lists at sa archives to confirm this, but I've no expertise in Australian research!
    There is mention of M A Wild on passengers.history.sa.gov.au passenger on the Trafalgar 1850

However if she was indeed on the Trafalgar - did you say that husband John Platts also arrived on that ship?

If she was a servant from Middlesex as suggested then the next step could be to try and track down and eliminate the various possible Mary Ann Wilds in Middlesex... The umbrella man's daughter could well be her but may be impossible to prove.

Now you have heard from Grams, a descendant of the umbrella man it could be worth trying the DNA route.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  20. Archie's Mum

Passengers in History has that person as Mr. M A Wild on the Trafalgar from Gravesend to Adelaide arriving March 1850

Grizel likes this.