1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Willett familyTravellers South East England

Discussion in 'Romanies & Travellers' started by hops, Feb 23, 2016.

1. hops

hops New Member

Thank you to everyone who said Hi to a newbie.

In my family I have Richard Willett born 1814 either Petworth or Angmering, he married Louisa ? born 1815 Blackheath/Crayford Kent (I have this info from census records 1871/81) I have been told that Louisa was a "James"but I cannot find anything to support this.

Added to which Richards father was a Thomas Willett born about 1798 married to an Elizabeth ? His Grandfather was William Willett born about 1760 married to a Martha Chick again I have no proof of this.
    If anyone could help me with this it would be much appreciated.

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hi Hops :)
    Looking at the 1871 census (RG10, Piece 1076, folio 7, page 8), Joseph and Louisa had a daughter Lois, aged 17. If you lay your hands on a copy of her birth certificate, it should give you the maiden name of Louisa, thus providing another step in nailing down the marriage.
    The reference for Lois' birth registration is:
    December quarter 1853, Steyning registration district, volume 2b, page 208.

Not sure if you have ever ordered a copy certificate before, but they are available from the GRO (click the link) for £9.25. Use the references that I have provided and you should get the right one. :)

Sis likes this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Came across a tree with William Willett 1750 Horsmonden Kent died 1830 Goudhurst and Martha Chick. William's father was William and mother Elizabeth Woodfine
    William Willett (1750) with son Thomas born 1798 Goudhurst and married to an Emma Fishenden born 1787 married 1818. No Richard in the list of children. But in looking at these dates maybe Thomas' first wife was Elizabeth..

Sis likes this.
  4. hops

hops New Member

Thank you for this.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2016
  5. hops

hops New Member

Thanks for this I found similar info, maybe there is another wife I will keep digging