William and Margaret Abbott

Discussion in 'London' started by annabel, Jan 6, 2023.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

I'm reviewing what little I have on these, my potential ancestors, and I've found some things that may or may not be the same couple

William and Margaret had a son George baptised 1777 in St John Horsleydown, father is a shipwright. A couple of the same name also had Joseph baptised there 1780 (I know about him) who became a lighterman, and William 1769 at St Mary Rotherhithe (who I think became a mariner at Bermondsey) but no occupation is listed for William Sr for these

Margaret may be the one who died in the workhouse at St John Horsleydown, born 1741 died 1829

William may be one the apprenticed to Thomas Bay in 1754 in joiners records, son of Robert of St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, which would make him born about 1741

I cannot find a marriage for William and Margaret, or anything else about a shipwright. Is anyone else able to find them?

2. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

There is a marriage at St Katherine by the Tower, London, on 26 July 1767 between William ABBOT of the parish, bachelor, & Margaret ROBSON of St Mary Overies, which could be worth further investigation on your part as it is approximately the right area & correct date. Image is available to view on Ancestry.

Janet

Chimp likes this.
  3. annabel

Thanks, I couldn't find that. The fact that he is from St Katherine's tallies with a later apprentice register I found. It looks very promising

4. annabel

Coming back to this thread because I have got further... or have I?

William Abbott was a shipwright, he later had premises in Shadwell. Apprentice records 1755 for a William to a boat builder in St Katherine by the Tower, father Robert.
    There is a baptism 1740 of a William in St Margaret, Westminster to Robert a labourer and Maria.

Robert and Maria's marriage in 1738 turns out to be a clandestine marriage at Fleet prison, Robert being a haberdasher from Blackburn. A child with these parents names is baptised 2 months later at All Hallows by the Tower.
    Then follow 4 children at St Margaret's, including Willliam, no father's occupation
    Then in 1746 there is a Jane baptised at St John Horsleydown, father is an excise officer.
    1749 is Jane Elizabeth at St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, father labourer, of Jacob St
    In 1756 is Amy, at St John Horsleydown, father a linen draper.
    1761 Maria at St Mary Magdalen, father labourer of Dockhead

A potential death for Robert 1784 in the workhouse at St Mary Magdalen

My question is, would a haberdasher turn into an excise officer then a labourer then a linen draper or have I mixed up families?

5. annabel

Edit to above : William became a shipwright in Shad Thames not Shadwell. An apprenticeship record to a boatbuilder says that his father Robert, a labourer, was of St Mary Magdalen, but does not mention St Katherine by the tower (mixed that up with when he took on his own apprentice later on)

6. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Not sure about Excise Officer, but haberdasher and linen draper are related, dealing with cloth and sewing. Perhaps labouring came on the scene if this work was not available.

Chimp likes this.