William Bell who lived in Westmoreland County Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by Struttlady, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Struttlady

Struttlady Member

Warning: There are thousands of William Bells. I have been able to trace my Bell family in the US back to just before the Revolutionary War. He lived in Westmoreland County, PA.
    Born: abt 1746
    Married: 1776 Barbara Klingenschmidt (Klingensmith, Clingensmith)
    Children: Daniel (1775), Maria (1777), John (1779), Catherine (1782), Philip (1784), Elizabeth (1786), Magdelena (1788), and Mordecai (unknown birthdate).
    William and most of his family moved to Homestead,Wild Horse Creek, St Andre-St Luis District, Spanish Terr., Missouri where he died in 1802.

My question: Has anyone found his ancestors? I have hints in other family trees and some people outright state that he was the grandson of William "StoneChurch" Bell. But no proof.

Thanks for any help that you can give me. I've been searching for several months (and even roped my husband into looking.)

Pat

Ma-dotcom and GrannyBarb like this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Wow, there is some very interesting work out there on these families.
    In particular the Klingenschmidt’s.
    I’m a bit lost in ‘the stonechurch bell’s’ though. :confused:

Struttlady likes this.
  3. Struttlady

Struttlady Member

With so many Bells in the Virginia area, the different families were labeled with where they lived. These Bells lived in the Staunton, VA area, near the stone church. Other families were the Long Glade Bells, North Mountain Bells, and South River Bells.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  4. Struttlady

Struttlady Member

Sue,
    I feel that I'm such an amateur with this. If I can trace the Klingenschmidts I might be able trace William Bell. Could you point me in a direction for them?

Thank you.
    Pat

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. Archie's Mum

We all started somewhere and compared to most on here ‘I know nothing’ but I’m a devoted ‘googler’ and it’s quite surprising where it gets you. So to start, just have a play around with ‘William Bell and Barbara Klingenschmidt, Mooreland County’. Some say his name was William Mordecai Bell son of William Mordecai Bell Jnr. I’ve quite forgotten his mother’s name but I won’t be around for a few hours. When I get back I will find some more for you. Lots of others may want to have a go too as the family seems quite interesting. Whether it is fact though is another thing. William ‘Red Coat’ Bell, a bit of a Scottish meanie comes into the story as well. :sceptical:
    Good luck. Will be back later.

Ma-dotcom and Struttlady like this.
  6. Archie's Mum

Family Search tree...Sources from David Bell Lineage Charts.
    William Bell 1690-1757 married Mary McGowan.1694-1757
    Issue:
    William Mordecai Bell Jnr 1720-1785 Born Ulster Ireland of Scottish parents. Line of William The Red Cloak, Chief of the Border Bell Clan c1500. William died 1785 Augusta Co VA. Buried Stone Meeting House Fort De Fiance Augusta Co VA. He married Mary? Another tree has her as Mary Foster born 1730-? No other siblings mentioned. Is this where 'Stone Church Bells' originates?
    Issue:
    Samuel Bell.
    William Mordecai Bell 1750-1802 married Barbara Klingenschmidt 1759-1810. Another tree has him born 1746. William died 2 March 1802 Wild Horse Township St Louis, Missouri. No other siblings mentioned.
    Issue:
    Maria Bell 1777-1798 married Jacob Coonte 1766-? No other siblings mentioned.
    Issue:
    Susanna Coonce 1789-1877 married Andrew Zumwalt 1779-1855

Struttlady likes this.
  7. Archie's Mum

I don't think the William said to be born 1746(should read 1745)-1802 mentioned on 'another tree' above is yours as I have found on Family Search William Bell born 1745 died in 1802 and buried at Fatherly Farm Weirwood, Northampton VA.
    Your William is buried at Wild Horse.

Struttlady likes this.
  8. Struttlady

Struttlady Member

Yes, this is the dilemma. I know that 'my' William Bell is buried at Wild Horse. Family histories link him to me through his son Daniel.

So I thought that I would try to narrow it down through his wife, Barbara Klingenschmidt. Family Search gives me two different fathers--John Peter Klingenschmidt and John Philip "Blockhouse" Klingensmith

I can post the URLs if that would help. But I don't want to violate any TopDog rules about that.

Thanks,
    Pat

Archie's Mum likes this.
  9. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Have a read of rule number 6 here. ;)

10. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

I found a 1998 query on a VA Genweb page:
    (I inserted line breaks for clarity.)

I don't know if researching any of these will lead back to your William or not. Again, no proof. Just more names. Start a conversation (Inbox) if you want the email attached to this query - which is from 1998!

Struttlady and Archie's Mum like this.
  11. Struttlady

Struttlady Member

Thanks, Barb. I have found this already. I'm just going around in circles, but I'll get there!

Pat

GrannyBarb likes this.