William Bennallack - Who was he?

Discussion in 'Devonshire' started by Brentor boy, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Brentor boy

Brentor boy Active Member

In 1833 the firm of Bray and Hitchins of Tavistock, manganese dealers and miners, was dissolved following the resignation of two of the partners. The remaining partners then continued to trade as Hitchins and Sons. Among the fourteen original partners was the vicar of Tavistock, a prominent Mining Agent and his two sons, another mining agent and one William Bennallack.

I have traced a William Bennallack, 1778-1837, wife Mary, a miner (probably manganese) and his son, William, born 1806, wife Susanna, a copper miner, living in the area at the time. How likely is it that an "ordinary" miner would have been involved in such an enterprise?

Given that the name Bennallack has the potential for multiple variations, is there any evidence of another William Bennallack (or similar) living/ working in the Tavistock /West Devon area during the period 1820-1840?

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Had a read of the notice in the London Gazette and they are all described as manganese miners and dealers. I just think they all owned the mine and so they all sold the manganese. It may have not been a big concern at all, just a group of men pooling their resources to try to make some money. They had the foresight to register their interests as a partnership. Have you checked the other parties to see what their occupations were. Perhaps they were all simple miners too. Although a vicar is not what one would normally find down a mine. Maybe some of the partners had the expertise and the others had the money.

3. Archie's Mum

Well I just checked the most unusual name there, Jehu Hitchins and find him in Pigots as a mining Agent. Strange as googling his name brings up a Jehu Hitchins killed in 1902 in a mine explosion here at a place called Kembla Grange. Over 100 men died. Maybe related.

4. Brentor boy

Thanks for your thoughts, Sue.

I have only been able to identify, with any certainty, the five partners named in my original post.

My suspicion is that this was some form of "miners' co-operative" supported by people of wealth and influence. If so, it seems quite likely that the untraced partners were "ordinary" miners. In 1831 they were named as petitioning creditors in the case of a bankrupt, Joshua Wood of Manchester, manganese dealer and chapman.

William Bennallack(1778-1837) is my 3xgreat grandfather and I want to make every effort to establish the identity of W B, the partner, either by confirmation or elimination, before claiming him as mine.

5. Archie's Mum

Jehu Hitchins seems to have his name everywhere so he possibly was quite well off.
    Every census later has a William Bennallack as a copper miner. I can’t find another.

6. Brentor boy

The records of the two youngest of William Bennallack, senior's, children, born in 1823 and 1825, and one buried in 1829, give Quither as place of abode. (A hamlet on the Brentor/Milton Abbot boundary and site of a manganese mine).

In 1841 two of his sons and a son-in-law are recorded as manganese miners.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Archie's Mum likes this.
  7. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

We have a p[lace named Kembla Grange near Wollongong, NSW, I wonder if it is the same place, we also have a Mount Kembla nearby.

8. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Just Googled Kembla Grange mine explosion and come up with the following.

On 23 March 1887 there was an explosion at the Mt Kembla mine.

At 2pm on 31 Jul 1902 there was another explosion at that mine as Sue stated, 95 men and boys were killed, another 70 were led out to safety through another shaft by two guys who went in to rescue people, their names noted as David Evans, day manager and Mat Frost.

Unfortunately the article does not list those men and boys killed, the article is quite long and has photographs.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  9. Archie's Mum

@Findem kemblajottings.wixsite has all the names.
    There was another one at Bulli Old Mine as well. Until recently some of my mothers family were receiving royalties from another Bulli Mine but I haven’t a clue which one. Unfortunately we didn’t get named in the old fellows will...such is life. It all went to the youngest brother who just so happened to be unmarried at the time. My poor Pop and his other siblings dipped out.

10. Archie's Mum

I wonder though if Jehu Hitchins from the Kembla mine is a son or grandson of Jehu Hitchins from the Tavistock mine. Would be interesting to find out.

11. Brentor boy

"Find a grave" lists the death of Jehu Hitchins in 1902. It contains a photograph of a memorial on which ( I assume) are listed the names of some of the other casualities.

Incidentally Family Search lists a number of Jehu Hitchins. Perhaps the name was not as unusual as it would appear ( although there is a reasonable prospect many of them were related).

Archie's Mum likes this.
  12. Archie's Mum

Yes, I’ve seen the memorial but couldn’t remember where. Thank you
    Jehu Hitchins who died at the explosion has Thomas as his father on death registration. He is listed as John Hitchin not Jehu.
    I think I read his brother as Jethu.

13. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Perhaps his name was Jehu but was called John by co workers.