William Bowditch and Louisa Esther Cooke

Discussion in 'Middlesex' started by mugwortismy cat, Sep 20, 2015.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

married in Hanwell 8 Aug 1880

upload_2015-9-20_13-50-3.png

here is a snip of the marriage register; two questions (1) where is William's abode (2) at which asylum was Louisa's father an attendant????

Thanks

2. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

William's abode looks like Brentford to me

Mrs Huma and mugwortismy cat like this.
  3. mugwortismy cat

:rolleyes: obvious really, wasn't it? Thank you :)

4. mugwortismy cat

Got it! :D .... COUNTY asylum :rolleyes: (I think ...)

5. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Yep - I read that as well. :)

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  6. Mrs Huma

Mrs Huma Canadian Cousin!

I saw that only after seeing the word typed 'county asylum'. I thought last word was Anglican to start with.:eek:

mugwortismy cat and Daft Bat like this.
  7. mugwortismy cat

well, don't feel too bad, at first glance I thought 'Police Constable' was 'Voice Chocolate' :D

GrannyBarb and Daft Bat like this.
  8. Mrs Huma

Mrs Huma Canadian Cousin!

LOL:D

9. mugwortismy cat

Since I am having trouble reading today, I wanted to run this one by you guys too ;)

This is William in 1911 (now in Dover)

upload_2015-9-20_17-16-25.png

his occupation is Police Pensioner, Inspector N.S.P.C.C. correct? I've read the last three letters as pol poc pcc

10. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Yes, I would agree.

You see the blue number 413? That refers to his occupational classification. 413 was the one used for soldiers and non-commissioned officers - so a bit out, though... o_O

11. mugwortismy cat

Interesting.
    Have tracked down what I consider* to be Louisa Esther's baptism at Southall Green, she had said in 1901 and 1911 census she was born in Hanwell, and that is the abode given. Her mother is Mary Elizabeth Cook, no father.

Given that she said her father was an Asylum attendant called Charles, I'm not so sure she made him up. Was her mother a patient in the Asylum? the register doesn't say. But Hanwell Asylum, although close to Hanwell village, was technically in Southall parish ...

*BTW I am seriously at odds here with several Ancestry trees, but hey ho I think they are wrong ;)

12. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

William's obituary, from the Dover Express, 3 October 1930:

INSP. W. BOWDITCH
    The death occurred on September 21st, at 30, Rampart Rd., Salisbury, of Inspector William Bowditch, of the Metropolitan Police (retired), at the age of 72 years. The body was brought by motor hearse from Salisbury on Wednesday for burial. The late Inspector Bowditch formerly resided at 103, High St., when he was the N.S.P.C.C. Inspector at Dover. The funeral took place on Thursday, at Charlton Cemetery, the deceased being buried in the grave of his late wife. The Rev. F. Sanderson officiated. The mourners present were Mr. and Mrs. H. S. Bennett (son-in-law and daughter), Mr. Daniel Bowditch and Mr. Bennett Bowditch (brothers), Miss Lily Bowditch (grand-daughter), Mr. Reg Bowditch and Mr. Charles Townsend (nephews).
    Floral tributes were sent from:- His brother Dan and family (Salisbury); Ben and family and little Peter (Salisbury); Em and family (Salisbury); Rose, Charlie and family; Sister Jenkins; sister Marie (Yeovil); niece Alice; Mrs. Dibben (Wareham); Mr. and Mrs. Petley and Milly; Bert, Ethel, Alice and Maurice. The funeral arrangements were carried out by Messrs. Venner and Son, 39, High St.

There are various other references to him in the papers (including one in 1916 reporting the death of his son William in the sinking of HMS Invincible) which confirm he was an NSPCC Inspector.

mugwortismy cat and Daft Bat like this.
  13. mugwortismy cat

Thank you :)

Huncamunca likes this.
  14. mugwortismy cat

Found a marriage between Mary Elizabeth Cooke and Charles Colebrook in the right RD in 1864 ... and found a 9 year old Louisa E Colebrook with them in 1871! :D

so Charles is probably step-father rather than biological father ...

15. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Yes I think you've got the right family, muggy, so ignore all those Ancestry trees :)

In 1861, 18 year old laundress Mary Elizabeth Cook (born City of Oxford, St Ebbs) is with stepfather Thomas Newman, blacksmith, in Hanwell (RG 9/781, f.96, p.37)

I think one of Thomas Newman's daughters was a witness at Louisa Esther Cooke's wedding in 1880. Mary Ann Newman, 28 year old daughter of Thomas Newman, smith, married William Charles Leman at Tooting Graveney in 1870. These are probably the William & Mary Ann Leman who were witnesses at the Bowditch/Cooke marriage in 1880.

16. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

And if you want to go further back, muggy, the marriage of Thomas NEWMAN, widower, & Mary COOK, widow, took place at Brentford St Lawrence on 4 April 1852, her father being Richard JACOBS, Carpenter - actual PR image is on Ancestry.

Janet

17. mugwortismy cat

Thank you Janet :) I saw that but have struggled to find Mary Cook[e] (nee Jacobs) 1851 census or her 1st marriage ...

However, having said that, I don't really want to go back further ... I should be concentrating on William and Louisa's children ...:rolleyes:

18. janetbooth

Me too as I could not find her with any certainty nor could I find Mary Elizabeth's baptism at St Ebbe on the PR Transcript which is where she was supposedly born. However, another snippet of information - I do like to sidetrack people - is a marriage at Oxford St Thomas on 14 May 1809 is that of a Richard JACOBS & Elizabeth BRIDGEWATER (source Oxfordshire FHS Marriage Index), St Thomas being where Mary COOK was born c1811 according to the 1881 census.

Janet

19. mugwortismy cat

Bless you :angel: ... as if I needed any help on that score :sceptical:

Findem likes this.
  20. janetbooth

Hey, I need somebody else to join me in my sidetracking! I spent a lot of yesterday researching twigs who had disappeared from Ashwell, Hertfordshire, and ended up coming across a whole load of familiar Ashwell names who ended up in Monroe, New York. I found quite a few surnames that occur in my maternal line which eventually led to the discovery of what happened to some cousins several times removed. They must have had a mass exodus from Ashwell in the 1850s/60s - slight exaggeration but there were quite a few of them!

Janet

Chimp, mugwortismy cat and Daft Bat like this.