William Caunt (1772:1796)

Discussion in 'Nottinghamshire' started by Philip Thomas, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Philip Thomas

Philip Thomas New Member

WC, my wife's 4th Great Grandfather was born in Ponton, Notts in 1772. On 27 October 1796 he married a Phoebe Diggle in Arnold. Unfortunately for me the PD I have identified marrying a WC in that year was born circa 1784 suggesting she was only 12.
    I wondered if any one could track down an alternative PD to be recognised as my wife's 4th GGMother?
    The parents of 'my' PD were William Johnson Diggle (1760:1845) and Sarah Rhodes (1765:1842), who were married at St Mary's Nottingham on 18 August 1783. That date suggests 'my' PD was indeed theirs and therefore not mine!
    Philip Thomas

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I have found a tree on Geni that has Phoebe born 1783 and died in 1785 in Basford Nottingham. Parents William Johnson Diggle and Sarah Diggle but also found on ‘The Luddite Bicentenary 1811-1817’ that William Johnson Diggle married Sarah Rhodes in 1793. Unless of course that is an error on the report. Their son Daniel was executed in 1817 after having shot George Kerry.
    How many William Johnson Diggles and Sarah Rhodes could there be in Nottingham.

3. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Lord Hardewicke's Marriage Act 1753 states, in part:

The minimum age of marriage was 12 for women and 14 for males. No marriage of a person under the age of 21 was valid without the consent of parents or guardians.

Code:
    https://www.perfar.eu/policies/marriage-act-1753

4. Archie's Mum

I wonder if ‘your’ Phoebe Diggle may have been widowed

5. Archie's Mum

In Basford Nottingham on 19th August a Phoebe Diggle baptised Frances Diggle, no father as far as I can determine. There was another baptism in 1786 to a Phoebe Diggle but I cant find it again. It was also in Basford. Perhaps this is the Phoebe Diggle, a single mother who married William Caunt in 1796. There is a baptism of a Pheaby Diggle at Basford in 1755 to Daniel Diggle and Pheaby but this one could be a bit too old, although you never know. 17 years still works.;)

6. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Philip,

There is a Phebe CAUNT in the 1841 census of St Mary, Nottingham (HO107/869/3, folio 33, page 18) living at Ratcliffe Row, aged 65, Seamer, born Nottinghamshire. Could she perhaps be your Phoebe DIGGLE?

Janet

7. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Further to the above, there is a transcription of a baptism at Arnold on 15 June 1777 of a PHEBE daughter of Daniel & Hannah DIGLEY. Other transcribed baptisms at Arnold subsequent to this baptism show a Daniel DIGGLE as married to an Ann and his marriage to Ann ALLEN did not take place until 29 May 1780 at Arnold and the Phillimore's Marriage Index entry shows Daniel to have been of Basford and Ann of Arnold. There is no previous marriage of a Daniel DIGLEY or DIGGLE on my Nottinghamshire Marriage Index CD and no other baptism to a Daniel & Hannah DIGLEY on my Notts Baptismal CD, so I wonder if perhaps Phoebe was born prior to their marriage.

There is a baptism at Basford on 23 December 1759 for a Daniell son of Daniell & Pheby DIGGLE who sounds a likely candidate for the Daniel mentioned in the above paragraph, so perhaps daughter Phebe was named after her grandmother?

Janet

8. Philip Thomas

Philip Thomas New Member

Thanks yes, I believe she was, but the catch seems to be finding her maiden name and dob
    Philip