William Collier Blanket maker

Discussion in 'Oxfordshire' started by peter cameron, Nov 5, 2013.

1. peter cameron

peter cameron Member

Can anyone add any information about William Collier, [described as 'the elder'] Blanket maker of Witney? I have his will - he died in 1802 - and I have looked at his monument in Witney St. Mary's churchyard but the inscription is very difficult to read. A monument for his son, Edward, is nearby and it would seem from that that Edward was born in 1759. I know that William's wife was named Ann but I do not have any marriage details. I cannot work out any parentage for William and I do not know his age at the time of his death. I think that many of these Colliers were presbyterian non-conformists.

2. euryalus

euryalus Well-Known Member

Hello Peter,
    You might start by having a look at another thread on this site called "Robert Collier of Crawley", which may well contain some clues. Quite a lot of work has been carried out on this family.

3. peter cameron

peter cameron Member

Many thanks, Euryalus. I have looked at the Robert Collier of Crawley thread but I think that was another branch of the Collier family. William Collier, 'the elder', blanket weaver, who died in 1802 had only one son living at the time of his death. That son, Edward, died in 1831 without direct heirs. Part of William Collier's estate then passed to the child of his other son, Richard, who had pre-deceased him. That grandchild was Samuel Phipps Collier who appears not to have stayed in the Witney area. I cannot work out, however, the birth date of William the elder, his marriage details, or his parentage. I have some grounds for thinking that William may have been a nephew of the Robert Collier, clothier, who died in Witney in 1724 - but no more than that.

4. D Collier

D Collier Member

Hello Peter. I too am a new member and may be able to help you. I have listed a lot of info on the Colliers of Witney. I am sure William was the son of Edward and Mary Minchin and was born in 1738.

dizzyme and Ma-dotcom like this.
  5. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Hello D Collier, nice to see you here. It's great when members can help each other so readily, even better as an opening post.

6. peter cameron

peter cameron Member

Thanks D. Collier for the connection. I have Edward and Mary [Minchin] as perhaps William's parents but I have not been able to find any evidence for it. I would love to hear more. If William's son, Edward, who died in 1831 was born in 1759, he would have been married about 1758 ish. He would then be only twenty when married, if born in 1838. It seemed a little young but possible.

7. peter cameron

peter cameron Member

Sorry - I meant if born in 1738 [not 1838!]

8. D Collier

D Collier Member

Hi Peter.
    This is the information I have for Edward. The only baptism I can find is for John on 24 Aug 1744. I think I do have a note of him being a Quaker so this would explain the missing baptism dates. (Edward born 1699 son of Edward and Denise Waite). I will see what else I have for him and let you know.
    Derek.

Edward Collier Tailor (Widower of Mary Minchin) (Will written in 1760, died in 1770, proved 1785).
    Son Edward (born 1732 died 1792) I have his Will.
    Son William (Blanket weaver died 1801)
    Son John (born 1744 died 1820) I have an admin of his Will.
    Daughter Betty (Elizabeth) wife of Samuel Phipps of London.
    Daughter Mary
    Daughter Ann

Messuage, tenement and gardens on the east side of Witney High Street to be sold by Edward and William, or purchased by either of them. My Edward must have bought it as he was there in 1790.

9. peter cameron

peter cameron Member

Hi Derek,
    That is brilliant information - thank you very much. The Phipps family were certainly Presbyterians and I have details of the births of children of Samuel and Elizabeth Phipps. The daughter of Samuel married Richard Collier, the son of William the blanket maker. So they were cousins marrying. One of the interesting aspects of the Colliers is the strong connections they had with London - perhaps in part through the Witney blanket warehouse in London. Certainly your Edward Collier (2) married Ann Guy of St. Martin in the Fields. Any more assistance you can give in piecing together a family tree would be great.
    There is a memorial near those of William and Edward Collier in Witney St. Mary churchyard for an Ann Collier who died in Sept. 1692. I am wondering if she was the Ann Collier, widow of William Collier, clothier, and mother of Robert Collier, clothier, who died in 1724.
    Thanks again for your help in this,
    Peter

10. euryalus

There may well be references to William Collier in The Witney Blanket Industry by Alfred Plummer (1934). For example, on 6 March 1795 William and Richard Collier were fined 20 shillings for making a "stockfull of five quarter coating without having a list of coloured yarn on each side contrary to the bye law".

11. D Collier

D Collier Member

That's OK Peter. I did have the marriage of Ann Guy and Edward in London, however I have now changed this to 5th Jan 1755 at St.Peter le Bailey, Oxford. The other day I was given information which seemed to confirm the Guy family came from Soulden in Oxfordshire. Ann's sister Mary mentioned a nephew Stephen Collier on her Will. Stephen was the youngest son of Edward and Ann and was born about 1763.

Derek

12. D Collier

D Collier Member

Did you know that there was a John Phipps solicitor at Weavers Hall in London in the early 1800?. I'm sure he was the son of Samuel and Elizabeth and born in 1759.
    Derek

13. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

There is a marriage (source Oxfordshire FHS Marriage Index) on 15 November 1761 at Witney of a William COLLIER, Blanketweavr, to an Ann DAY - could this be your William?

Janet

Findem likes this.
  14. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

There are a number of resources which may help with these Colliers - for example Oxfordshire FHS have transcribed and published on CD all the memorials in Witney churchyard, with photos and cross-references to their register transcripts. There is also a Collier descent chart in Witney Museum, along with a portrait of a much earlier Collier.

The above show that the Edward who was son of this William died in 1828 rather than 1831, and also that William had another son (William) still alive when he died. Edward is named on the same memorial as his father William; the one on the adjacent memorial is a different one who died in 1834.

There's plenty more on these Colliers in these resources and elsewhere. My wife is connected to them by marriage, which is how we've picked up oddments on the family, but probably less detailed than others have.

Hope this helps.

15. peter cameron

peter cameron Member

Many thanks for these leads. I will follow them all through! Peter

16. D Collier

D Collier Member

Hello Arthunk
    If I was you I would not take the tree in the Museum as 100% true. I found there was a fair bit wrong with it.

17. peter cameron

peter cameron Member

Moreover, the Portrait at the Museum is a bit of a puzzle. I am trying to look into that at present as well. My interest extends to several branches of the Colliers, all with London connections.
    The family of Timothy Collier, tallow-chandler and yeoman of Brize Norton
    The family of Robert Collier, brasier, of Witney
    William Collier, blanket maker, as mentioned
    The family of Robert Collier clothier of Witney who died in 1724
    The family as a whole is obviously a very interesting one.
    Peter

18. D Collier

D Collier Member

Although I am descended from Edward who died in 1792, and his son William a blanket maker of Witney, I too have a lot of connections with London, although it will be difficult to put any of it on here. As a matter of interest where are you from, as you have not undated it onto your profile. What I will say is if you look up the "Collier's of Frieth" there is a bit on there about my side of the family.
    Derek

19. euryalus

This is the portrait in the Witney & District Museum. It is best described as a portrait of a Williamite gentleman, said to be a member of the Collier family - although there is no obvious provenance.

Attached Files:

20. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing this out - we were aware that it may not be completely correct, but some bits are OK and it makes a useful starting point, providing you remember to check things out against other sources.