William GOMM 1700abt Wheatley

Discussion in 'Oxfordshire' started by vickym, Jun 16, 2016.

1. vickym

vickym Member

I have hit a brick wall on tracing family Gomm.
    I have reached back to Richard Gomm 1731- 1761, who I believe married Mary (no maiden name). I have no evidence of the marriage, but there is a mention in Family Search.
    Richard/Mary's son named William born1747.
    Anyway, can anyone assist with 1. marriage details for Richard Gomm 1731 and 2. Confirmation that William Gomm 1700 actually married Francis Fillis born 1704 Wheatley which I believe was 3 December 1722.in Waterperry (Nt Wheatley, Oxon). and finally the Parents for William Gomm 1700 and Francis Fillis 1704.
    Thank you
    Vicky

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

This would make Richard just 16 when William was born. Not impossible by any means, but uncommon. I see that on Family Search there is a William GOMM baptism in 1747 on 5th April with a father named as Richard. This took place in Cuddesdon, about 5 miles from Wheatley. However, there is no mention of Mary being the mother. :(

3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Oxfordshire FHS Marriage Index has the marriage at Oxford Magd(alen) College on 2 October 1746 of a Richard GOMM & Mary WALTON, both of Wheatley. Richard may have been baptised some time after his birth which might explain why he appears to have been very young at his marriage.

The Index also has a marriage at Waterperry on 3 December 1722 of a William GOMM of Cuddesdon & Frances FILLIS.

Unfortunately, Oxfordshire is one of those counties which do not have many parish records online, so unless someone on this Forum has the particular Oxfordshire FHS parish register transcript cds of Wheatley, Cuddesdon or Waterperry, you are unlikely to be able to trace back the parents of William & Frances. What I can tell you is that there are no other FILLIS/FILIS marriages, male or female, on the Oxfordshire Marriage Index at around the same time as the marriage of William & Frances. There are only 2 male FILLIS marriages on the Index, these being John FILLIS & Margaret HENLEY at Charlbury on 24 October 1605 and the other being William FILLIS & Margaret GREENE at Brize Norton on 3 February 1652. I would guess that there was a FILLIS family in Charlbury in the 1500/early 1600's as there are two female FILLIS marriages, both at Charlbury, one of an Agnes FILLIS & John LEWES on 25 May 1560 and the other of an Alice FILLIS to a John LARDNER on 1 May 1570.

The parish register transcripts of both Cuddesdon & Wheatley are available on the same cd from Oxfordshire FHS.

Janet

4. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

Looking through an ancient and not very legible microfiche transcript of the Cuddesdon registers (which my wife happens to have), there seem to be quite a few GOMM families there. Spellings vary, e.g. GOM, GOMB, GOME and GOOM. It should be possible to find these at FamilySearch if they might be of interest - and I think you'd find it a lot quicker doing that than me trying to pick them out on the fiche and type them up. Of course the variant spellings could apply in Wheatley too, and anywhere else you're looking.

Incidentally, although Cuddesdon and Wheatley are about 5 miles apart, Wheatley was a chapelry in the parish of Cuddesdon until 1745.

vickym likes this.
  5. vickym

vickym Member

Hi,
    Thanks for your information.:cool: Maybe your theory about Richard Gomm is correct as the date I have is of his baptism, 6 June 1731, not his dob.
    The other info will enable me to investigate further.

Daft Bat likes this.