William Grant & Catherine Collins

Discussion in 'Rutland' started by Tracker, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Tracker

Tracker New Member

I believe this is a different family. I also found them in my research into possible Scottish ancestors.. No connection yet.

2. Tracker

Tracker New Member

Actually I "ran into" Catherine for the second time when I was researching the RUDKINS along with my cohort in Dubai. My line is GRANT so I ran into both Mary and Catherine as I went back to William's parents.

3. Tracker

Tracker New Member

IGI has Catherine baptised in Empingham. And the other info you have above is correct

4. Tracker

Tracker New Member

I agree but no other William fits the bill, so to speak.I have a copy of the marriage certificate between William and Mary Gregory and it shows that William is a WIDOWER.

5. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

I won't sidetrack this thread, but the LOVERIDGE clan hold a special place in my searches as I bet they do in yours. Wonder how Jo and family are getting on? As you say, nice to collaborate with you again and I hope Tracker has been given some new paths to follow on his GRANT ancestors. I, too, am sure that the William GRANT who married Mary GREGORY is different from the one who was married to Catherine, Lucy, Hannah and most probably Sophia because of the 1841 census records. The 1841 Ag Lab William GRANT fits so well with the ages of the children re their baptisms and his own marriage records and the burial records of his wives.
    Janet

Mealymoo likes this.
  6. janetbooth

Tracker,

I am awaiting delivery of another parish register transcription CD of Rutland parishes which includes Empingham. When it arrives, hopefully I will be able to confirm Catherine's baptism and her parents.

Janet

Mealymoo likes this.
  7. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Hi Janet,

Oh yes, the Loveridges' search does hold a special place for me, and I have wondered how Jo and her family are getting on.

Glad you agree that William Grant who married Mary Gregory is not the same William Grant who was married to Catherine.

8. Tracker

Tracker New Member

Janet, I thank you for your interest. I have all of the Rutland Parish records, and the 4th one does show that Catherine was Baptised in EXTON and that her parents were, as we suspected, John Collin and Sarah Kirby

9. janetbooth

At least that sorts out Catherine's line further back doesn't it. Baby George aged 5 weeks in the 1841 census of Empingham would appear to have been buried there on 2 October 1841 (infant). I'm trying to confirm whether The William GRANT who married Sophia and is in the 1851 census of Empingham (HO107/2092, folio 144, page 5) is the same as the William GRANT in the 1861 census of Alfreton and I tend to agree with Mealymoo that they are. The two constants between the census records (apart from William & Sophia) are daughter Eliza (shown as WRIGHT in the 1851) and in the same house in the 1861 but shown as a different household is James WRIGHT who is now married and has a son. Another corroborative fact is that there is no burial for this William GRANT in the Rutland Burial Index nor one for Sophia.

Janet

10. Tracker

Tracker New Member

You would not believe how helpful your replies have been. All of you. I was encouraged to go back into my sister's research notes from 1979 through 1990. She and 2 other researchers had the same info as y'all came up with. After reviewing the records in Leicester she believed that the 2 Williams were different people and in fact pointed out that the one that married Mary Gregory was born 27 Feb 1791 and the one that married Catharine Collin was bapt. 7 Dec 1806 and is the illegitimate son of Robert Christian and Frances Grant of Empingham. For Janet, I agree that the William and Sophia nee Wright are the same family in Empingham and in Alfreton, Derby. For the same reason as you surmised. I will revise all my info around both William and fully expect that all will fall into place nicely.
    Again thank you all for your help and insight.

Blackmogs and Daft Bat like this.
  11. janetbooth

Glad to be of help and it is good us to have our findings confirmed by your sister. Good luck with the rest of your research.

Janet