WILLIAM HICKMAN, CHIPPING CAMPDEN

Discussion in 'Gloucestershire' started by vickym, Sep 10, 2015.

1. vickym

vickym Member

William Hickman is on record as the father of Hester Hickman born Jan 1638. Hester then married Thomas Boice 1662 in Chipping Campden.

I have been unable to find more information on William Hickman or the name of his wife, or any previous information on the family.

I would appreciate any information to assist.

Thank you

2. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Hi Vicky,

Looking through the parish registers of Chipping Campden via Ancestry, the first mention of a William HICKMAN is the baptism of a daughter Mary on 2 April 1630. This is followed by the burial of Elizabeth wife of William HICKMAN on 31 August 1630 and the subsequent burial of daughter Mary on 21 November 1632, so your William HICKMAN may have been married twice. There is a marriage at Beckford, Gloucestershire on 1 June 1629 of a William HITCHMAN & Elizabeth NEATHWAY of Aston Underhill which could be the marriage of Mary's parents.

The next baptism at Campden is on 19 October 1634 for a Hanah HICKMAN daughter of William HICKMAN, followed by that of Esther on 2 January 1638/39, father William HICKMAN. Haven't looked for any further baptisms at the moment.

Looking through the Gloucestershire Wills, also on Ancestry, there is one for an Ann HITCHMAN of Chipping Campden, widow, dated 13 October 1674 and proved on 15 June 1685, in which she mentions her grandchildren John BOYES, Hanna BOYES and Mary BOYES, her kinsman John BLACKFORD. She nominates Robert DAVIS the elder of Broadway and John DAVIS his eldest son as Executors. Aha, proof positive that she is your Esther's mother, as the next line down she mentions that John, Hanna & Mary are the three children of Thomas & Hester BOYES.

So, at least you now know that Esther's mother was an Ann, but so far I haven't found a marriage for she and William HICKMAN/HITCHMAN.

Janet

Ma-dotcom and vickym like this.
  3. vickym

vickym Member

Hello Janet,

Many many thanks for this information, it will certainly keep me busy next week.