William James Eli HATCHER

Discussion in 'Dorset' started by mugwortismy cat, Jun 25, 2016.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

He was the son of James Roberts Hatcher and Rosina Sarah Eliza (aka Rose) HANSFORD who married 3 Jun 1893 at Wyke Regis. He was bapt. 10 Nov 1893 in Holy Trinity church, Weymouth and was their only child.

In 1901 all three are part of an extended family group including Rose's father and sister, her maternal grandmother, and an uncle -- the relationships have become a little confused on the census return :eek: -- RG13; 1994; 71; 15

In 1911 the family is scattered; Rose is in Kent as a domestic servant, William is in Weymouth as a boarder in the household of a maternal uncle ... is it telling that he has dropped the James and is named as William Eli? ... because his dad's situation is looking a little dubious

The father James is also in Weymouth, with a young housekeeper from Jersey and her three young children (the two youngest aged 3 and 1 are born in Weymouth, the 7 year old was born in Bournemouth, Hampshire). I may be jumping to all the wrong conclusions but I am wondering if James has started a second family, necessitating Rose to get a job, maybe from shame one far from home :( --- RG14; piece 12351; schedule 157

that's by the by, what I am struggling with is what happened to William? I can determine nothing after 1911

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

From what I can find, I think that he married and moved to Mitcham, in Surrey, then back to Dorset where he died. :)

In the 1939 Register, there is a William J HATCHER with wife Lily at 97 Windermere Road, Mitcham. His date of birth is given as 10th September 1893, which would also fit with the birth registration that I found in the December quarter of 1893, Weymouth District, volume 5a, page 285: William James E HATCHER. Although by rights, the birth should appear in the September quarter, folk had - and still do have - 6 weeks in which to register the birth.

William's occupation is that of Office Manager, Naval and Air Force Clothing Outfitters. This marries nicely with his occupation in the 1911 census of Outfitters Clerk, adding credence to the thought that this is the same chap.

There is a marriage of William J HATCHER and Lily V SYMONDS in the September quarter of 1915, Weymouth District, volume 5a, page 870. In 1939, Lily's date of birth is given as 13th January 1897.

Following on, there is a death registration for William J HATCHER aged 70 in the December quarter of 1963, Bournemouth Registration District, volume 6b, page 167. Bournemouth and Weymouth are only about 30 miles apart and so they may well have decided to move back to Dorset after the war. A search of telephone directories might track them down better.

Just to tidy things up, William left a will:

HATCHER, William James of 30 Wynford Road, Moordown, Bournemouth died 11th November 1963, Probate London 19th December to Lillie Victoria Hatcher widow and Cyril Clark solicitor. Effects £289

I hope that this helps. :)

Ma-dotcom, mugwortismy cat and AnnB like this.
  3. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

I was looking last night and continued this morning and came to the same conclusion as Jan.

I am sure he joined the army as there are service records on Ancestry for a William James (sometimes just James) HATCHER born Holy Trinity, Dorset with a wife Lily Victoria.

Glad Jan beat me to it - saved me a lot of typing ;)

4. Jellylegs

Looks as though they moved to Scotland for a while (from Army records)

5. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

A bit more.... ;)

Lily died the following year: September quarter 1964, Bournemouth registration district, volume 6b, page 101, Lily V HATCHER, aged 67.

She left a will as well:

HATCHER, Lilie Victoria, otherwise Lillie Victoria, otherwise Lily Victoria of 3 Buchanan Avenue, Bournemouth, widow, died 22nd July 1964, probate London, 27th August to Cyril Clark solicitor. Effects £5,371

:)

6. Jellylegs

Beaten again - tuh! Lets hope it's him.

Must be off now, my man has turned up to finish (hopefully) my patio.

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  7. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I started looking this morning and found the 1939 Register entry - I then had to go out, so well done Jan, you seem to have clinched it :)

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  8. mugwortismy cat

Thank you Jan :) and Jellylegs too ;) I think you have clinched it as Ann says

I think I had some of the pieces I just couldn't join them together :(. I did see the marriage in 1915 in Weymouth but could not find the 1939 register entry and so was uncertain this was him. I was also toying with a couple of Army records so I'll have to go back and look again.

Ma-dotcom, AnnB and Daft Bat like this.
  9. mugwortismy cat

Don't suppose anyone knows where Rose went after 1911? :(

10. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

June qtr 1924 Southampton 2c 142 sees the marriage of
    James R Hatcher and Emma M Pullman (Maud from 1911, I suspect)
    They appear together in 1939 in Southampton (with Albert b1922)
    James R Hatcher dies in 1944 Dec. qtr Southampton 2c 25

So Rose should have died between 1911 and 1924 but be blowed if I can find it:(

Jellylegs and mugwortismy cat like this.
  11. mugwortismy cat

:D I suspect also, but then I have a suspicious mind

:( glad it's not just me; nor could I identify a remarriage and/ or later death ( just in case there was a divorce)

12. MollyMay

I tried looking under her maiden name - Handsford, just in case she reverted back to it, but with no success. Do you have a dob so I can search 1939 by that?

13. mugwortismy cat

her birth was registered Jan-Mar 1873, and she was baptised 13 Apr, but I don't have the Birth date, sorry

I nearly jumped at a Rosa S H Hansford who died in 1926, I thought maybe an E was misread, but the age was a bit out (4 years) and a Rosa Harriet S Swannell married a John Abel Hansford in 1900 :(

MollyMay likes this.
  14. mugwortismy cat

Well, I haven't solved what happened to Rose/Rosina :(

But maybe James and Emma Maud were waiting for her husband to die? What I think is Albert's birth in Southampton in 1922 has his mother's maiden name as PINWILL.

An Emma Maud PINNELL daughter of Elias Edward and Emma Laura is in St Helier in 1891, and in 1901 as Emma PINWELL. She is slightly older than the 1911 England census had her (c 1885 rather than 1888), which eased my mind a little, else she would have been 15 when she married and had her first child.

Now all I need to do is identify her first marriage and hope it didn't happen in Jersey ...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    MollyMay likes this.
  15. MollyMay

Shame -there are just so many Rosina's born 1873 around in 1939, even more if you add in Rose (none with middle initials S E) .

Well sleuthed to find Emma Maud's maiden name via Albert, if they were waiting for her husband to depart then it looks like James either knew Rosina was dead or did not have a clue where she was.

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  16. mugwortismy cat

Well her first husband was Joseph Stanley PUL(L)MAN, and he didn't die until 1951 (so far as I can see ...) ... so that theory is scuppered too :( :confused:

17. MollyMay

Perhaps Joseph and Rosina ran off into the sunset together never to be seen again :D

Ma-dotcom and mugwortismy cat like this.
  18. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Just to say that I've looked at every combination and permutation of Rose's (Rosina's) name and I'll be blowed if I can find a death for her either :(

19. Jellylegs

Been looking for Rose/Rosina too, but can't see anyone that looks remotely like her :(

mugwortismy cat likes this.