William Jones - born about 1890

Discussion in 'Criminal Ancestors' started by The Artful Dodger, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Sorry Colin, I haven't forgotten about you. I did have a bit of a look, however not knowing what names to look for is a bit confusing. I was wondering if he took the name of one of his mother's husbands! Where did the name Thomson come from?

2. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

The father of William Jones was Walter Pocock Jones whom Mary Susan married 4 Mar. 1888. After Walter died in 1st q. 1891, she married John Hutchinson 2nd q. 1892 and this son was born [according to baptism register] 16 Sep. 1892 and another son was born [same source] 26 Sep. 1894.
    After John Hutchinson died 3rd q. 1896 she married David Thomson 4th q. 1897.

I have yet to determine where, why or when William acquired the surname Driscoll - but possible further aliases may be Anderson [the middle name of the son born 1892 or Somerville [the middle name of the brother of her son David Thomson who killed in action in 1917]. He could also have adopted the surname Thomson as this was the surname his mother gave to the 'officials' on 1 Oct. 1919.

3. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Looking at Mary Susan, the mother, and events between 1881 and 1888 leads me to believe that she was likely of limited education.
    She was the 7th of 8 children and when her father died - buried 18 May 1875 - there were enough older siblings living at home to allow her mother [Elizabeth Jane] to keep Mary Susan and her younger brother - Thomas born 1871 - at school. This appears evident with the 1881 census - RG11, Piece 2329, Folio 73, page 9.
    2 of the older children - Catherine and William John had married by 1881. Richard [born 1860] was not found in 1881 census but married after the death of his mother in 1884
    Of the 4 other children still at home in 1881 census, Samuel H [born 1862] and Thomas [born 1871] are still a work in progress. Elizabeth and Harriet are found in 1891 in where I believe they were residing with their mother at the time of her death - burial 3 June 1884. Harriet died 3rd q. 1893 and I believe Elizabeth married 2nd q. 1896.

So I suspect sometime around the death of the mother, Mary Susan moved to London. Mary Susan - as of 1919 - was unable to sign her name.

After the death of her 1st husband - the 2nd and 3rd were of Scottish birth.
    I don't have their marriage certificates, so cannot determine the name of the father. I have no access to Scotlands People.
    Her 2nd husband John Hutchinson can be found only in 1891 census - RG12, Piece 189, Folio 57, page 47 - occupation Tent Cutter.
    His place of birth has been transcribed - Ayrshire [FMP] and Argyllshire [the Genealogist].
    They were married 2nd q. 1892 and he died 3rd q. 1896.
    On the baptism register for the 2 sons the father's occupation is listed as Wharfinger Foreman - am familiar with this occupation.

Her 3rd husband David Thomson has not been found in any census prior to the marriage 4th q. 1897. The 1901 census - RG13, Piece 317, Folio 40, page 28 - indicates place of birth as Scotland - and 1911 gives place of birth as Glagow.
    Both census records indicate his year of birth as 1868
    Mary Susan doe s not name the father of her son - David - who was killed in action in 1917 - when she provides details of the family on 1 Oct. 1919.