William Nash married 1862. What was father's occupation?

Discussion in 'Hampshire' started by Barley, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Barley

Barley Member

According to Ancestry, a William Nash aged 25, son of John, married Mary Ann Harrison at Millbrook on 4th June 1862. He became a Chief Engineer for the P&O line and died in Bombay in 1877. I want to know if he is MY William Nash, and it depends on the occupation of his father. A** has only the bare details of the marriage, no image of the register. I could buy the marriage certificate, but I am exploring other avenues first.

My William Nash was baptised in Cobham Surrey on 25 Jun 1837, son of John Nash and Ann. His father John was a horsekeeper and then a mail cart driver on the London-Portsmouth road, living mostly in Liphook and Petersfield. Young William was at Waterlooville with his family in 1841 aged 4 (HO107; Piece: 390; Book: 5; Folio: 5; Page: 5) and an apprentice tailor in South Hayling when he was 14 in 1851 (HO 107/1656 f17). No obvious sign of him after that.

Could a lad like that have become a Chief Engineer for the P&O line? It seems a heck of a leap. So I'd like to see the occupation of the father at that 1862 marriage so that I can (probably) eliminate William Nash the engineer. Is the image available anywhere, does anyone know?
    Barbara

2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I think the short answer is no :( I have ancestors from Millbrook and various surrounding parishes, but, as far as I am aware the images for the registers aren't on-line.

3. Barley

Barley Member

Thanks Ann, I feared that might be so. Hey ho, buy the cert before the prices go up, I suppose.
    Barbara

4. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

Its a teeny bit cheaper for a digital download.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  5. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

Slightly off-message, but I see that the P & O archives at Greenwich have staff registers for their engineers. It appears that documents in P&O/76/2 (1837-1871) may have some information relating to your man.

Code:
    http://collections.rmg.co.uk/archive/objects/519484.html

Bay Horse and Blackmogs like this.
  6. Barley

Barley Member

Thanks Flook. If he turns out to be my man, I will definitely follow that up.
    Barbara