William Nixon and Mary Hadley

Discussion in 'Staffordshire' started by giselle, Dec 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. giselle

giselle New Member

hoping someone can help – re William Nixon who m/Mary Hadley 1790 St Augustines, Rugeley – trying to confirm he was son of Thomas Nixon, who m/Ann Owel. And that Thomas was s/o Samuel Nixon & Sarah Stevens.
    Had been following a William Nixon who m/Mary Burley – but don't think this right one.

Sorry if this sounds confusing.
    Giselle
    17/12/17:)

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Family Search has his marriage & shows image access on FMP[ which I don't now have, also a tree with parents if you want to take a peek & ponder that.
    Code:
    https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LHKD-2FM
    Oh, you probabley have seen it. ?

Also gives some-ones reasons for rejecting the hint.

3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

There is an enquiry on another forum looking at the possibility of a Hannah Nixon being the daughter of William Nixon and Mary Hadley. Hannah was born in 1792 and is believed to have a brother Michael. Hannah married Benjamin Collier in 1816 in Rugeley. Witnesses were Thomas Linton and Elizabeth Nixon.
    No other siblings were mentioned.
    Also that William Nixon married Mary Hadley in the presence of Luther Nixon and Mary Miflin. Luther was believed to be the younger brother of William who was born c1770

4. Archie's Mum

5. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

The parish register entry of William NIXON's marriage to Mary HADLEY is available to view on FMP, so can't give you full details. However, one of the witnesses to the marriage is a NIXON (as Sue has already mentioned in post 3), has a rather unusual forename and that person is also a son to Thomas & Ann NIXON (baptised in 1770) so you may well be correct in your surmise.

Thomas NIXON & Ann OWEL were married at Cannock in 1767 - image available to view on FMP. There are no baptisms for this couple at Cannock according to FMP and the first baptism at Rugeley to Thomas & Ann NIXON is that of a William in 1769 - again available to view on FMP.

Janet

6. giselle

giselle New Member

Thanks everyone for your great response. Apologies for delay in reply – a medical problem - now hopefully, sorted.

With so many William and Mary couples – and as baptisms don’t often include the Mother’s maiden name it’s difficult to be sure of the correct Mother. Michael’s bap just says William and Mary as parents [ G3-5940 Baptised Michael son of William and Mary Nixon 06 Feb 1791 - also freereg.org.uk]

Thanks Ma-dotcom, have checked family search –

Michael’s parents were William and Mary – but which Mary – was trying to be sure it’s Mary Hadley.

Yes, thanks Archie’s Mum - that is what I thought – that Luther was William’s brother and son of Thomas Nixon & Ann Owel. Haven’t been able to find anything on Mary Miflin.

Re Lenton connection - thanks for this – I had Hannah N/Benjamin Collier marriage but not Thomas Lenton's apprenticeship – possibly the William Nixon, felt maker is the one b/1851 son of Samuel/Sarah – and who m/Mary Burley 1775?

Thanks Janet – this confirming the marriage –

Wonderful to get your responses and know that I’m not just blundering around in the dark. Had been following William N & Mary Burley but on checking a photo of what I believe to be this family's memorial stone in Rugeley churchyard – Mary Burley Nixon died in 1788 – three years before Michael was born, so wrong family. When I found Memorial Stone in Rugeley Churchyard - for William and Mary [Burley] Nixon I thought this was my family – not so. If anyone is interested this is the writing on the headstone:

Mary, wife of William Nixon who died March 8th, 1788. Age 33 years.
    Also Samuel their son who died 1 Feb 1789, age 9 years –
    Also William Nixon who died Dec 9th, 1828, age 77 years
    Also Thomas, son of the …….William and Mary Nixon who died October …..1800.

Unable read rest of writing on this stone.

Also confusing that some family trees on the Net list Samuel, as the one who went to Pennsylvania. As they all came from Rugeley it's probable the Pennsylvania Nixons are all connected.
    Thanks again everyone for your help. Wishing you all a happy Christmas and New Year.
    Giselle

Ma-dotcom, Daft Bat and Archie's Mum like this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Let us know if you need any more help....ready, willing and able. :D