William Riddell and Isabella Lawson

Discussion in 'Aberdeenshire' started by Shellymac, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Shellymac

Shellymac Well-Known Member

Hi I need help with the above couple, their son George married Elizabeth Bolton 10 April 1896 (I have all I need on George) at Lochee Dundee and he lists his parent as William and Isabella, I have the 1871 and 1881 census from Old Machar Aberdeenshire and William was born at Cluny Aberdeen their children on the 71 census are Mary 21, John 17, Ewen 11, James 8, Christina 6, Edward 3, mother Isabella states she was born at Banchory I think that is how it is spelt.
    There is info online about this family but rather than run with their info I like to check it out for myself, they say that they married at Skene 29 Nov 1846 and that his parents were William Riddell and Janet England and Isabella's were John Lawson and Marry Jamieson.

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

These come up on Family search. No guarantees they are yours tho'.

Scotland Marriages, 1561-1910
    William Riddel
    married:29 November 1846
    Skene, Aberdeen, Scotland
    spouse:Isabel Lawson
    Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950
    Isabella Lawson
    christened:28 March 1825
    SAINT NICHOLAS, ABERDEEN, ABERDEEN, SCOTLAND
    father:James Farquharson Lawson
    mother:Margaret Troup

Do you have a birth year for Isabella?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  3. Shellymac

Thanks for that marriage as I can't find it on SP but I do now have their death cert's and William died 1884 his age is out a bit and Isabella die 1903, she married for a second time to Francis Beattie so I will find that now.
    The info online states that Isabella was born 1 April 1828 her parents were John Lawson a shoemaker and Mary Jamieson and William about 1825.

4. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Hello again

FS have the above baptism Isobel Lawson parents John Lawson and Mary Jamieson at Banchory Devenick Kincardineshire 1828. With luck should agree with the details you find on her death cert.

5. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Tried S.P. for their marriage thinking [sort of] to get parents names. It was only the banns which told nothing you don't have :( (Riddel)

Trying for birth of William (Riddel/ll) not happening. What was his birth year please.
    Two for an Isabel Lawson:-
    Parish of Tough, Aberdeen. to Joseph Lawson & Margaret Ramsay 3 June 1818.
    Parish 'King Edward' 10 Aug 1820 to Robert Lawson & Jane Porter. plus the one above.

1810-1828 no marriage for John Lawson & Mary Jamieson until I spell it right ;)
    11th Mar. 1824.John Lawson of Parish of 'Mary Culter' & Mary Jamieson married with no objections after banns. in Parish of 'PeterCulter'.

edit. is it just me or have I lost a post from this thread?
    Oh lorks! just clicked on 'alerts' & there's missing post. Going to breakfast now have tomato chutney waiting in the wings for the cooking of.
    ciao.

6. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

FS have marriage of Will. Riddel and Janet England at Cluny in 1816. Births of Peter, James and Arthur but no William that I can see. Another to check against the death cert! :)

7. Shellymac

Hi again Grizel this info agrees with what is on Isabella's death cert plus that is where she said she was born on the 1881 census.

8. Shellymac

These are the right parents so thank you.

9. Shellymac

The online info has conflicting info on who were the parents of John Lawson one has William Lawson and Elizabeth Philps and the other has Andrew Lawson and Elspet Dunn, John was born about 1798 maybe in Drumoak Aberdeen, married 11 march 1824 and he apparently died 31 Jan 1880 and Mary died 26 April 1886 so I will now go to SP and see if I can find these two deaths.

10. Shellymac

Indeed his parents were William Lawson and Elizabeth Philps as per his death cert and Mary's were William Jamieson, online source says that he was born 1769 at Peterculter and died 26 Sep 1818 at Peterculter, and Agnes Dunn born 1761 they married 24 Dec 1789 at Banchory. So I think that this is as far as I can go with these families.

11. Shellymac

Online sources have William Riddell death 18 Dec 1886 at Clunny and his wife Janet Riddell nee England who's death is recorded as 28 May 1870 at Corskie BUT I can't find either death, can somebody help with this?
    thanks

12. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

I think William's mother Janet is still in Cluny at a croft Hill of Corskie in 1841, 1851and 1861. Appears to be a widow. I can't yet spot her death though.

Yes it's there . Janet Riddel, other surname England , Aberdeenshire, Cluny district. 1870.

Off out now !

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  13. Shellymac

How was the surname spelt in the 1861 census as I can't bring it up.

14. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

She is Jannet Riddel on the ancestry transcription. Age 70. Apparently with a 73 year old grandaughter!

15. Shellymac

Thanks Grizel, as I am rubbish at searching census records as you know.

16. Shellymac

Well I have tried SP for the 41, 51 and 61 census with out any luck at all.

17. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Hi shellymac

I found the 41 and 51 on freecen and checking again I see the 61 is there too. Set census place to Cluny ABD. Surname is Riddel. She is Janet in 41 and 51. Jannet in 61.

Hope this helps.

18. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

These spellings give a match on the SP search too. Put in first names beginning with Jan and it covers both spellings of Janet. County Aberdeen , district Cluny.

19. Shellymac

Thank you once again Grizel I have now found them and have noticed that there were some England families around as well I think she had a brother Alexander, on the 1841 I found what I think is her father James England 75 but the wife is listed as Jane 70 but I have Jean, the online source has James and Jean Rae which I take it came from Janet's death Cert, if only I could confirm that she died 28 May 1870. Still haven't found William Riddell on the census so if he died on 18 Dec 1886 they were not together in any of the census. I will take a look at the 1851 at SP and see if she is a widow or not.

20. Shellymac

Sure enough she is listed as a widow on the 1851 census, so that online tree has to be wrong.