William Scott born abt 1821 - Help!

Discussion in 'Illegitimacy' started by kernowmaid, Oct 16, 2019.

1. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

HELP!!
    I have gone down every route I can think of to prove that my great great grandad William SCOTT was (or was not) born between 1820-1825, the illegitimate child of Helen ELLIOT, single woman of Newcastleton, Roxburghshire, Scotland.
    One problem is that the records were not done well - the "Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, 1872" state that Castleton's births were "irregularly kept".

His stated ages in the Censuses & marriage/death give yob 1822-1827.
    I've eliminated the most likely candidate (son of Wm SCOTT & Isabel SHARP - he can be traced to his death)

I am 99% convinced that his mother was Helen ELLIOT - she died (1865) unmarried but with a daughter (Ann) born abt 1823. (Ann was known as FLEMING but reverted to ELLIOT by the time of her death - and her death cert shows "Illegitimate".)

But he was known as SCOTT (The earliest proof of this is a Bible presented to him by Newcastleton School, Whitsun 1834 - so perhaps this is the year he left? Age 14?)

In 1849 a Testimonial was written for him stating that he had worked as a Railway Constable for the County of Roxburgh, 30 Nov 1846 - 19 Oct 1849.

We have letters to him from aunts & cousins - all of them ELLIOT (or descended therefrom).
    They are all named on one gravestone in Castleton Churchyard.

The romantic in me wants him to be the son of the Duke of Buccleuch (who owns all the land in the area, and had Newcastleton built to replace the old village.) The family name is SCOTT.
    ... But there doesn't appear to be a "young buck" in the Buccleuch house at the right time.

The poet in me wants him to be the son of WALTER SCOTT (author of "Ivanhoe", "The Lady of the Lake", etc) who was walking the area around this time.
    ... But as Sir Walter was in his 50's and busy writing it's unlikely that he had time for flirtation.

The realist in me thinks that I should believe what he told the vicar when he got married: "father: William Scott, shepherd."
    ... But there are several Scotts in Castleton in the 1820's, and none of the Williams are shepherds ...

Our family motto should be:
    "Ah, What A Tangled Web We Weave When First We Practise To Deceive."
    (That's Sir Walter Scott, by the way!)

If ANYONE comes up with ANYTHING ... PLEASE let me know! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Jane

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

The school leaving age back then was 12 and, if the Bible was given to him on leaving, that would give a birth year of 1822, which fits with the dates above.

Ma-dotcom and kernowmaid like this.
  3. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

William Scott born 1822 fther William scott mother Isabel sharp Castleton Roxburghsjire could this be him
    on 1851 there is a William married to a Betty b 1820 who is a shepherd

kernowmaid and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Yes, I got excited about the 1822 birth - but the son of Wm Scott & Isabel Sharp married Jane CROZIER, stayed all his life in Castleton (as a shepherd) and died there in April 1892.

"My" William went to Northallerton, Yorkshire in 1849 and stayed there (working as a Railway Porter) until his death in 1901.
    In 1851 he was in lodgings.

See HO107, piece 2377, folio 391, page 11

Jane

Ma-dotcom likes this.