Wilsons of Shottesham

Discussion in 'Norfolk' started by mugwortismy cat, May 25, 2019.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Trying to go further back with this line, I have John Wilson bapt Shottesham in 1769 son of John and Sarah
    I attempted to find siblings of his and found instead that he appears in the middle of a series of baptisms for John and Susan(nah)

Mary 1765
    Sarah 1767
    Elizabeth 1772
    Thomas 1775

Susannah wife of John is buried in 1795, and a John buried 1799

Do you think that these other 4 baptisms are siblings of my John; was Sarah sometimes used instead of/confused with Susan (I've a feeling that I have come across this scenario before)

Looking for a marriage for John and Susan/Sarah there is one in Norwich in 1761 to a Sarah Buck (this caught my eye as Bucks interact with this family later on too), other marriages don't seem to be in the right part of Norfolk, but I might have missed some once I noticed the Sarah Buck marriage

2. mugwortismy cat

Just to add that my John marries in Saxlingham Nethergate, and it looks as though Thomas might too, not sure if this strengthens my case that they are siblings or not ...:confused:

3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

And another piece of information to add to the case is that one of the witnesses to Thomas's marriage is a John WILSON who made his mark. There is another marriage at Saxlingham on 20 June 1809 for a Sarah WILSON & a William SEAMAN, widower, both of the parish and one of the witnesses to her marriage is a Thomas WILSON who made his mark.

Janet

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  4. janetbooth

Perhaps a possibility for Sarah's burial is one at Carleton Rode on 13 April 1836, Sarah SEAMAN, aged 73?? I have had a look for the marriage of John WILSON to a Sarah/Susannah prior to 1765 on both FMP's Norfolk parish register records and Family Search and the only one I can find is the one to Sarah BUCK in 1761 which unfortunately in both cases is only a transcription and not the actual image of the marriage record. BINGO and what looks to be an Ancestry mis-transcription of an actual parish register marriage record!! 30 June 1760 at Shottesham St Mary, John WILLSON of this parish, bachelor, & Susanna QUADLING? of this parish, single woman, by licence. Both made their mark. Ancestry have transcribed his surname as MILETON.

Janet

AnnB, mugwortismy cat and Daft Bat like this.
  5. mugwortismy cat

Wow, thank you @janetbooth 8(:-).

I've been putting off making this decision for some time but I am now going for it :D

AnnB and Daft Bat like this.
  6. janetbooth

Go for it! To be fair to whoever transcribed the parish register image of John & Susanna's marriage, the W could be mistaken for an M and I suppose the second "l" was slightly shorter than the first ….. I was wondering if I had transcribed Susanna's surname correctly, but FMP have her actual baptismal record in 1734 at Saxlingham - all is beginning to fit together isn't it! Or you might have a bit of sleuthing to do as they also have a baptismal record in 1741 at Shotesham - nothing is ever simple is it!

Janet

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    mugwortismy cat likes this.