Would some kind UK person please...

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Findem, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Contact Ancestry.co.uk for me please at support@ancestry.co.uk and find out the renewal cost for the annual UK Heritage Plus subscription. It needs to be someone based in the UK otherwise they will be given the Aussie price.

My renewal is due 17th of March so I sent an email asking the question and contained in the reply was the following, "The UK membership packages are for members based in the United Kingdom."

They also quoted the Australian Ancestry annual renewal which I already knew, it's $215.40 which = 109.6 UK pounds.

I have no intention of letting the matter rest there but before I go to war I want to make sure that I know what I'm fighting for is worth fighting for, i.e. that the UK renewal is as I believe cheaper than the Aussie one with Ancestry.com.au.

Originally I joined with Ancestry.co.uk but somehow when once automatically renewing I got shunted over to Ancestry.com.au without realising it, which amongst some other matters I will be advising them.

Thanks.

2. Nightryder

Nightryder Well-Known Member

Findem ive just had a look & can only find
    Essentials £95.99
    Premium £119.99
    Worldwide £179.99

Findem likes this.
  3. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Thanks Nightryder but I think it's going to need a UK based person to check for me or has very recently renewed the same. I do know such an animal as UK Heritage Plus exists because my renewal reminder quoted it as did the Ancestry.co.uk reply. :D

4. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Have a gander at this, Findem.

http://
    lostcousins.com/newsletters/anznews.htm

Findem, Jellylegs and Eve like this.
  5. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I've sent off an email today to Ancestry.co.uk requesting they reconsider their refusal to let me renew with them rather than Ancestry.com.au.

I made various points such as, briefly:
    I was born and spent my first 40 years in England.
    Still have British citizenship and passport.
    No Australian ancestors.
    Their Brit residents only policy is very discriminatory, why should one country's Ancestry be cheaper than another's.
    etc, etc.

Probably get me nowhere but at least I'll have the satisfaction of having tried and spoke my mind.

I have my parting shot roughed out should there be a second refusal. :)

6. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

Hi Findem.
    I've just renewed, and there's no mention of "Heritage Plus". Just the 3 categories, Essentials/Premium/Worldwide.
    My "Worldwide" has cost me £155.40 - no idea why it's less than the advertised price, but I'm not quibbling!
    Jane

Ma-dotcom, Sis and Findem like this.
  7. Koromo

Koromo New Member

Just checked the email notification of my annual renewal that I received from Ancestry last year. I remember thinking that the price was a bit lower than I expected and this must be why:

"Your membership will automatically renew after each year of membership. At that time you will be charged the same price as when you signed up, unless you started on an introductory or promotional price or if you were notified of a change to your renewal price. If you don't want to renew cancel at least two days before your renewal date."

At least they are trying to reward loyalty!

Flora, Ma-dotcom, Sis and 2 others like this.
  8. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Findem - I quit them years ago based on budget constraints - but a little miffed, too, to pay for census returns that were gathered with my family's tax dollars to begin with. When necessary, I use the sub at my library or wait for the free access times. Otherwise... well, I won't use that kind of language in public.

9. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Thanks to all who replied.

Had an email from Ancestry.co.uk last night and they have aplologised for "frustrating" me and have agreed to let me renew with them, victory sure tastes sweet. :cool: :D <|:)

The Premium appears to equal Heritage plus so probably there's been a change in terminology since I first joined.

10. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Fearless to the end - well done Findem:D

11. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Good one Findem!8(:-)8(:-)

Findem likes this.
  12. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Thanks MollyMay and Sis, it pays to get on one's High Horse sometimes. :D

I'm happy to have a win but I'm still peeved with the way their sub costs vary from country to country, it should be one cost any country, not discriminatory. :(

she04, Jellylegs, busyglen and 5 others like this.
  13. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Shush, otherwise they may increase the UK cost ;)

14. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Funny you you should make that statement Mealymoo, it did cross my mind after I received their change of mind email because I was thinking of sending them a thank you email, with a comment about unifying subscription costs worldwide. Then of course the thought struck me that being a money making concern they would be more like to round up instead of rounding down. Mind you I wouldn't expect them to take that much notice of my thoughts where profits are concerned, I doubt I'm the first person to bring that idea to their notice. :rolleyes: :D

15. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Well done Findem, it's long been a trait of USA based companies to charge extra for goods of any kind to Australia. The reason"because we can". Fair enough when it's land mail- but when it's via ether !!- emails cost don't vary country to country I believe, nor image transfers.

Sis, GrannyBarb and Findem like this.
  16. GrannyBarb

Sadly, Capitalism is like a religion here. :oops:

Findem, Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  17. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Well I’m sad to report my victory was a hollow one, the saying goes “To the victor the spoils” but there were no dollar spoils. I have now found that it will cost more for me to switch from Ancestry Oz Heritage Plus to Ancestry UK Premium Membership.

Aussie Heritage Renewal: $215.40 = 109.60 pounds.

UK Premium Plus: $236.10 = 119.99 pounds.

On top of 119.99 pounds it would cost me a currency exchange fee from my credit card company if I switched.

Ancestry UK inform me that the Aussie Heritage Plus gives all the Premium Plus gives, plus Australian and New Zealand records. All things considered it appears Aussies get a better deal than the Brits which is contrary to what I had believed, or am I missing something? :confused:

I noted on the Ancestry UK site that the figure of 119.99 pounds is a “save 48 pounds”.

Here are the questions I asked in my last email to Ancestry UK:-
    1. Does this mean I will be signing up like someone newly joining Ancestry.co.uk, i.e. joining for the first time?
    2. If that is the case: Is it not possible for me to log into Ancestry.co.uk and using the upgrade facility accomplish a renewal and as an upgrade/renewal and therefore reduce the 199.99 figure somewhat?
    3. If what I suggest in question 2 is possible do I still need to cancel at Ancestry.com.au first?

And their answer:-
    "You don't need to sign up to a new account to access the UK subscriptions as your login details from Ancestry.com.au will work on Ancestry.co.uk. You'll be able to access your family tree and any research you've already done on any of our international sites.

If you find that the UK Premium subscription is more expensive than the UK Heritage Plus subscription, then feel free to stay on the UK Heritage Plus subscription - it gives the exact same level of access to UK and Irish records as the UK Premium subscription does, with the added extra of Australian and New Zealand records and, as you mentioned, is slightly cheaper. You will also avoid potential international bank charges as you'd be paying an Australian Dollars instead of Pound Sterling."

Note that they didn't answer all my questions. :(

At the end of the day I did have a victory of sorts, at least I got them to allow me to join ancestry UK should I wish to do so. Since I have no idea if I switched to the UK Ancestry that next year the UK renewal sub would be less than the Aussie one, I'll have to let common sense take over from pride/stubbornness and stay with Aussie Ancestry. :( :D

18. GrannyBarb

You did your due diligence. That's the main thing. :cool:

Findem likes this.
  19. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Good for you Findem. I don't join them because I need the most expensive World sub. I research the UK, Canada and the West Indies. $300.00!!! No way, Jose!! I am retired which = frugal.......and will do as our dear old GrannyBarb does......go over to the LDS, or the library or wait for those freebie weekends.

Btw, I had quite good luck with the FMP free weekend. Durned near went blind trying to read them, but was ecstatic to find the Kingston Jamaica Gleaner newspaper and dove into the 1870's and 1880's and discovered a more personal side to these "ancients" of Ron's, but also corrected one, and found a Figueroa that was totally missing other than his birth date. If this Antonio Figueroa is the right one, he was a well known opera singer who went to France to study.....and returned to do a concert in Kingston. Holy cow!! :eek:

Ma-dotcom, GrannyBarb, Findem and 6 others like this.
  20. Belinda

Belinda Member

Without selling a product in case that breaks the forum rules I won't mention any names but there is a credit card I use here in Australia for all international purchases which has no annual fee, no currency conversion fees and no international transaction fees on purchases. This may save you on the conversion fees. As long as you intend on paying off your purchases within 55 days, the high interest rate will not affect your purchase. My card is only used for international travel and purchases. I am by no means working for or have any affiliation with this cc company. I just thought it may be an alternative solution to your predicament.
    Well done for standing up though!
    Good luck!

Findem likes this.