WW1 memorials

Discussion in 'WWI (1914 - 1918)' started by hadyhyde, Jul 15, 2013.

1. hadyhyde

hadyhyde New Member

I have been trying to discover who, in each village, town or city, is responsible for these memorials which bear the name of the fallen. In my own little village it is the Parish Council now but no one seems to have any records of who was responsible back then when it was first organised.

My great uncle from Brompton Northallerton - later Chester le Street, seems to have been missed off either memorial and it made me wonder how many others were also left off- and for what reason. Is it too late to have them added?

I had an uncomfortable feeling there may be a reason I wouldn't like- such as bad behaviour under fire..but in this one case it certainly wasn't so. The family have documents and medals to prove otherwise. If I'm a little niggled there must be more people who are also.

hady

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

There is a very useful pdf helpsheet that has been produced by the War Memorials Trust, which could make a good starting point. :)

3. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

I had never given that a thought until you mentioned it.

I know of people added to the war memorials who had nothing to do with the war. Also one accidentally shot during training. I have also seen one memorial with names of men who served in the great war and came back.

There must be an answer out there somewhere.

4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

After WW1 a lot of the War memorials set up in villages were built by public subscription. You are more than likely to find details in local papers of the time.

Ann

5. hadyhyde

hadyhyde New Member

thankyou...I have noticed in churches plaques for men and women who served but came back..but I asked our parish clerk if they had records from either WW1 or WW2 and he said if they ever had, they had long gone. It must have been difficult sfter the wars to find money for memorials but emotions must have been running high.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  6. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

I think I recall from Ian Hislop's TV documentary Not Forgotten (I think that was the programme) that the Great and the Good of the locality decided what names were to be included or excluded according to their personal whims and prejudices. Don't forget that government was not very democratic in those days.

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  7. hadyhyde

hadyhyde New Member

I'll try and catch that one- if it's not too long ago they're often available..

8. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

It was some years ago but I think you may find it on YouTube.

9. Schnurrbart

Schnurrbart Well-Known Member

If you can find out when it was inaugurated there may well be articles in the local papers which may say who the committee was. At least that was what I found while I'm researching my local memorial.

10. hadyhyde

hadyhyde New Member

oh that sounds interesting Schnurrbart

11. hadyhyde

hadyhyde New Member

I have found it - but I don't think we are allowed to post links are we? Thank you for the help

12. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

Clicky links to commercial sites are not allowed but you can break it so it doesn't do anything when clicked on and post it.

13. Schnurrbart

Schnurrbart Well-Known Member

Times haven't changed. I pointed out to my local lot that the Memorial Altar Rails in our church had one extra name than appears on the Town's War Memorial, but they didn't think it worth the expense to add it, as 1. he was on the Altar Rail and 2. he was on the memorial of the village next us. Conversely, one of "our" chaps may have never lived here, but his widow moved here, although he appears on his "home town's" memorial.
    Unfortunately, it wasn't just the dead; one local chap came back with "shell shock" and severe shakes, to be told, allegedly, that he could no longer sing in the church choir.
    Peter