Yahooooooo Two Brickwalls may come down!

Discussion in 'Middlesex' started by Myladyez, May 8, 2015.

1. Myladyez

Myladyez New Member

I posted in Northampton my family tree which is driving me crazy but here is another one. His name is William George Bromwich. This is how the story goes: William John was born in 1956 in London. His father was Charles Henry born in London. His father was William James born in London. In 1856 his father was born named William George Bromwich and he married Sarah Alice Tigg in 1884 at Fulham. On the marriage cert from Ancestry it showed William George 's father was also William George a carpenter. William George Bromwich died in 1899. But what happened to William George Bromwich sr? Can not find him. I have checked directories, poll records, every record that I can think of. But doing a time line he must have died between 1855/56 and 1884.

This brickwall has been surviving way too long.

Thank You
    MyLadyEz

Attached Files:

2. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Hello MyLadyEz, I've been looking into your query but not got very far!

Have you found a birth registration for William George Bromwich circa 1856? I cannot find one and searched 1852 - 1856.

I think this is him in the navy in 1881 but his birth is circa 1853.
    RG11; Piece: 5642; Folio: 59; Page: 11
    Royal Navy, ship Turquoise
    Willm [sic] G Bromwich age 28, born St Pancras, occupation Private RMLI

Myladyez likes this.
  3. Myladyez

Myladyez New Member

See that is what I have come against too. But William John was always told that he was born 100 years later to the year of the second William George. And when I carried Ancestry we did a couple times find 1856 birth of William George but I no longer carry the paid sites. And I did find that record and I "assumed" the same that it was William George, jr his grandfather. But I can not prove it. And he said that it could be but it was his understanding it was another persons son. I am not sure now on all the information I have but I did trace in the census records William George Bromwich, jr being a rrway porter, which when he died he was a mortician I discovered that. And he thought the family always lived in the Islington area. This is one man that does not know much on his family. But he was adamant on the fact he was born 100 years after his great grandfather.
    And the one thing I did discover was there were several William Georges in London during that time frame. But I believe that is William George jr that was the soldier. So this is the thing, William George Bromwich sr deceased carpenter. Why cant I find him. I found a William Bromwich which was a carpenter and I had a researcher tell me not cause she could prove her family and she pretty well did. So then I took to researching all of England. Senior did not have to be born in London just junior. Along with the family members. But I did not have much luck that way either. I do believe in about 1856 there is one living in Bristol, Gloucestershire and I never got a chance to research him.

Thank you ever so kindly for trying to help me with this item.

4. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Hello Myladyez and welcome to the forum :)

I presume this is your William on the 1891 census, in part of 108 Osnaburgh Street (RG 12/117, f.221, p.42):

William Bromwich head m., 34, Railway Porter, b. London St Pancras
    Sarah A. do, wife, m.32, b. Surrey Lambeth
    William do, son, 6, b. do do
    Harriett do, daur, 4, b. London St Pancras
    Clara do, daur 3 b. do do
    Albert do, son, 3 weeks b. do do
    Harriet Rabbits, mother, m , 73, Midwife, b. Hants Alton

I'd hoped Harriet might be William's mother, but she's probably his mother-in-law: the 1881 census has a Robert Rabbits with wife Harriett (a 62 year old midwife, born Alton) and a Figg (=Tigg?) step-daughter.

With the St Pancras birthplace the William in the Royal Marine Light Infantry in 1881 (Mealymoo's post #2) does look like a good match, apart from his age. I am very rusty on Royal Marines records: perhaps there will be service records somewhere, to tell you more about him?

I wonder if this is him in 1871: William Brommage, 19, gen. porter, and a Sarah Brommage, 25, art[ificial] flower [maker], (both born Middlesex) were with widowed mother Catherine Brommage, 57, born Hertfordshire. Her occupation is given as 'supp[orted] by Children'. In part of 203 Kings Cross Rd, St Pancras (ref. RG 10/219, f.54, p.12).

A Clara Bromwick of that very same address, 203 Kings Cross Road, was baptised as an adult on 15 July 1870 at St Jude's, Grays Inn Road. Her date of birth is given as 20 January 1849, her parents as James & Catherine Bromwick and her father's occupation as carpenter. That would be the wrong father's name for your William Bromwich, but the right occupation. (At this stage I wouldn't rule him out just because the name doesn't match: if William's father died when he was very young, perhaps he didn't know his name?)

Perhaps Ancestry will have more clues, such as the parents' marriage, baptisms of other children, etc. . . . and what became of James?

This birth registration for William might fit: William Bromage, birth registered September quarter 1851, St Pancras district. If this is your William then he must have acquired the middle name George later.

Myladyez likes this.
  5. Myladyez

Myladyez New Member

You have some excellent thoughts, yes the one on Osnaburgh is William George and Sarah Tigg. Charlotte Card wife of his son William James is also there with their children after William George jr death in 1899. And it shows a Sarah Akers which I thought might be Sarah Tigg Bromwich and it is still possible but I am beginning to doubt it.
    There is a James and Catherine Bromwich of St Pancras whom have a son named William whom is a carpenter. And that is the one that is not the William though I thought that for a long time it was. A wonderful person from Australia has every certificate and explanation for this family.
    See and that is where my problem lies I have taken every William and every James and every John and even a few George although as a first name it did not feel right. And tried to place them.
    Just have not connected yet.

Again I thank all that are trying to make heads or tails out of this search that I have not been able to in around 15 years.

6. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

MyLadYez,

Have you researched the Mott family? I notice two Mott's witnessed William George's marriage and he gives his address at marriage as 26, Peterborough Road, in 1881 there was a Mott family at that address.

RG11 P0073 F58, 26 Peterborough Road, Fulham.
    Abraham Mott 53 Head England Labourer ??? Factory
    Charlotte Mott 46 Wife Suffolk Chairwoman
    Joseph Mott 14 Son Scholar
    George Mott 6 Son Fulham, Middlesex Scholar

Huncamunca and Myladyez like this.
  7. Myladyez

Myladyez New Member

Oh my I did years ago and forgot about them. That is a wonderful thought especially being they were married in Fullham Good catch. You are all so wonderful.

Blackmogs likes this.