Yorkshire registers at FindMyPast

Discussion in 'Yorkshire' started by arthurk, Jan 29, 2019.

1. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

If you've been waiting for a Yorkshire parish register or bishops transcript to appear at FindMyPast, now might be a good time to have another look.

I've been wanting to look at an early PR from South Kilvington ever since FMP started to have Yorkshire registers, but for some reason it was never there. Quite a lot of the registers haven't been indexed, so you have to browse for them - use "A-Z of record sets", then "Yorkshire Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts Browse".

I was a bit disconcerted yesterday when that item was missing, but I checked again today, and it was back. And it seems they've been working on that dataset, because for the first time, the South Kilvington register was there :) - and maybe others that were missing too.

2. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Useful, Arthur - thank you!

3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Perhaps here I'll find my mysterious matching rellies. I've been a fan of Yorkshire for so long I think I deserve some. :D

Dogsday and Bay Horse like this.
  4. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Thanks Arthur..I'll give it a try but I have a "feeling" who I want still won't be there :headbang: ..I don't know for sure where he was from, but it has been suggested Yorkshire.

5. Bay Horse

Rather sad. I'm uncovering a number of stillborn infants for my lot.

6. Dogsday

Dogsday Active Member

I mis-read the matching rellies for matching wellies, luckily I've just booked an eye test :D:rolleyes:

7. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

:) Our habit of using 'slang' is atrocious, I did make myself a promise last year to stop shortening words & be right proper. That was not long lasting.:( Is in the genes I guess. Perhaps we could have a warning icon for readers to enlarge post before reading. I too have read some startling words before blinking && starting again. :)

Bay Horse, Half Hour and Dogsday like this.
  8. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

LOL.....you think you lot have trouble.......try being Canadian and reading all sorts of strange words on here that I either have to take a wild-a**** guess at or find a British slang dictionary online!! Our English is a combination of UK and US, so it does get a tad confusing. :D:D

For example, we wear "rubber boots".....you wear "wellies". Just for starters!! :eek:

9. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

If you are a farmer you wear "gum boots " !!
    As for rubber boots..makes me think of several other things... most commonly called "rubbers" which is also slang for erasers and a certain male contraceptive :oops:

Ma-dotcom and Bay Horse like this.
  10. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

11. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

And I was nowhere to be found.....ha ha :D

Philippa, Dogsday, Blackmogs and 2 others like this.
  12. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

Thanks for the heads up Arthur. I've long had a transcript copy of the registers for Danby in Cleveland, where a several times great uncle was vicar. He was married there by licence, by his brother, in 1758 and I now have a copy of the marriage entry image. Only found this by searching on his wife's maiden name; eventually found his surname had been indexed as Clerk. :rolleyes:

Screenshot 2019-02-05 at 08.19.46.png

arthurk, Bay Horse and Daft Bat like this.
  13. Bay Horse

I had a particularly good day yesterday sifting through the records. My maternal bunch were mainly from Yorkshire so I have a well-used stock of parish records cds purchased from various FHS. New transcriptions are becoming available online all the time, though, and I got my nose into Stoney Royd burials yesterday. I found my great grandmother's brother, which was a surprise only because I didn't expect him to be in that location! I now have a plot number to visit. The rest of his family are buried elsewhere. Also found the burials of a couple of 1st cousin 2xremoveds, which I didn't have a confirmed death for.

The stillbirths were my g-grandmother's other brother's children, which (while very sad) also offer some explanation what was going on within the family at a turbulent time.

Still have more family lines to chase up, so thanks to Arthur not much housework being done at the minute. :)

14. Bonzo Dog

Have also found the baptismal entries for James' 3 daughters born whilst he was still at Danby. These can now be added to the entries for their 4 younger siblings, all born in Durham.

Nice to see your priorities are sorted. :D:D

15. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it's not just my parishes of interest that have been added to - but I can't resist a comment on this (in spite of the :)):
    It's one thing being responsible for a lack of housework at home, but when I come on here to avoid it... where can a bloke feel safe these days? ;):D

Nightryder, kernowmaid, AnnB and 4 others like this.
  16. Bonzo Dog

17. Bonzo Dog

If a burial at Danby dated 22 April 1754 is anything to go by, things must have been reet bleak up ont' Moors. The entry carries the comment Nive obrutus periit, which I think translates as something like Lost in a snowdrift. :eek:

18. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Thanks for that Arthur, I'm living in hope someone will put some Yorkshire PRs on Free Reg, either that or index some PRs but I won't be holding my breath. :D

My ancestor Oswald Sturdy c 1709 continues to defeat me, I know when and where he married, Tadcaster, I also know where he baptised children and was buried, both events at Nun Monkton, he wasn't born/baptised at either place.

Now his wife Elizabeth Reynold was a different kettle of fish, I found her baptism along with 11 siblings, without too much trouble.

One of these days!

Bay Horse likes this.
  19. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

20. Nightryder

Nightryder Well-Known Member

Derek, Not sure if you have this, Is this your Oswald, mentioned as Sturdy Ofwald in the Yorkshire poll books of 1741 a freeholder, Howden.

Bay Horse likes this.