"You'll never go in the water again."

Discussion in 'British Census' started by MollyMay, Aug 30, 2020.

1. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Looking for my Johnsons, I came upon this chap on the 1851 census in St George in the East, London
    upload_2020-8-30_16-3-27.png

He is transcribed as Jaws:eek::D

Ok I know it does look like it, but it brightened up my cold and miserable BH Sunday:)

mugwortismy cat, Sue036, Eve and 15 others like this.
  2. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Ah, that's a classic. :)

gillyflower and MollyMay like this.
  3. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I often wonder when I see stupid transcriptions don't those transcribers have any brains or imagination, or at least a tongue to ask for a second opinion.

4. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Yes I agree, there are some people we will never find on the census because of ridiculous transcriptions. I did some transcribing a long time ag of the 1841 census in part of Yorkshire. If we couldn't read it -- we asked!

5. mikejee

mikejee Well-Known Member

Didn't I hear that some transcriptions were sent to be done in India? That would be sure to give rise to problems

6. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Oh lord, if true that would be a disaster, it could explain why some of those weird transcriptions are so mutilated.

7. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I think that was in the very early days. I heard that as well but can find nothing to substantiate it.

If you are transcribing in anything that is not your first language, then the chances for mistranscribing go up 100-fold!

I had a frank and open discussion with a certain organisation in the early days as they had Mary Ann Dean CROSS transcribed as CROFS and was told that the transcribers wrote what they saw. :sceptical:

Ma-dotcom, MollyMay and Findem like this.
  8. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

I think the reason put forward for using non English speakers was that they WOULD write what they saw, whereas English speakers might write what they know was intended. You can see the logic in both thoughts, they are transcriptions so should accurately follow what was written, but as we all know there are huge variations in the forming of letters over of the years, plus other vagaries like f for ss as an example, which was unknown to those working on the transcriptions (which could have been solved with better training perhaps?).

In my Jaws Jackson you can understand why James has been transcribed as such, at a quick glance that looks like what is written, so if you are being paid on the numbers of entries that you transcribe then you do not have the time to do a double take.

Sis, Chimp and Daft Bat like this.
  9. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

So they did Jan, not knowing that the 'f' was rather an 's' to match the other 's'

MollyMay and Daft Bat like this.
  10. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Of course it wouldn't have anything to do with cheaper labour would it, perhaps I'm being too cynical. :sceptical: :D

Jellylegs and MollyMay like this.
  11. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Looks like Jams to me, which prompts me to tell you that I am looking for a new sewing machine, many now feature a top loading bobbin which are 'jam-proof', I kept wondering why they thought I would be eating my breakfast toast over the sewing. It took an embarrassingly long time for me to realise it was a different kind of jam ...

kernowmaid, GrannyBarb and MollyMay like this.
  12. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Yes Ancestry definitely sent census records to India to be transcribed. Quite ridiculous really. How can we expect non English speakers to transcribe all the names correctly? :eek: Yes Findem I too am quite cynical.:)

Findem and MollyMay like this.