1939 Register

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Nightryder, Feb 16, 2016.

1. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

2. Nightryder

Nightryder Well-Known Member

Bonzo Dog, As I understand it, military personnel living on a Military base were not included in the register but civilians were, also military personnel living off base were included.

Bonzo Dog, Bay Horse and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

Thank you for the link Molly.

That's my interpretation too. This could explain the non appearance of my wife's uncle, but not the aunt and cousin. Ah well, time to attack another branch of the tree methinks.

Nightryder likes this.
  4. thalauafu

thalauafu R.I.P.

How do you think we poor relations 'down under' feel? At least you there in the UK CAN get on a train and spend a day at Kew! I had to swallow all my better judgements and sign up for a year to get access! Makes me mad that if they are going to have records on their site, then at least allow all to view them if subscribers!

Nightryder likes this.
  5. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Can anyone help with the reason for these letters & numbers please? I have looked at all available Q&As & found no referance. Ages pencilled in with correct births but 1895 transcribed as 1893 :(

initials & Letters.JPG

6. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

What area is it, Wendy? o_O

7. Ma-dotcom

Merton & Morden, Surrey- letter code: QMXT

Listed as a "ment pre???"- the man was a meat preserver.

8. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I think that they refer to the districts: EEA was Alton, Hampshire whilst CMV was Merton and Morden, Surrey.

Bonzo Dog and Bay Horse like this.
  9. Bay Horse

You got there before me, Jan. ;)

Daft Bat likes this.
  10. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

They are codes for 1939 Register Enumeration Districts. EEA is Alton, Hampshire. CMV is Merton & Morden RD.

I found these on this FMP page>

http://www.findmypast.
    co.uk/articles/1939-register-enumeration-districts

11. Flook

I was just slow!!! :).

Daft Bat and Bay Horse like this.
  12. Ma-dotcom

Thanks Jan, -no enlightenment for me unless their home straddled the border.
    One b. Bermondsey, the other Deptford where both lived when married-I think!
    Person above may be son-in-Law but no sign of dtr. :confused:

This register has opened up so many more mysteries, how fun. just when one thought it was time to shelve it all. :reading:

Bay Horse likes this.
  13. Flook

The 27.10.47 date - could that be the date he died?

Daft Bat likes this.
  14. Ma-dotcom

Lovely job Flook, I was just on that page & realise I tootled back to Lost cousins letter in error by clicking wrong X . Thank you.

I did wonder & looked on FreeBMD date a bit out- poss age 47 in 1944.Croydon.
    only one near correct age for that time.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  15. Ma-dotcom

I find myself with another query here. Not 100% sure these are my people, but names & b.dates fit well enough.

3rd Cousin William -1st married to Josephine who died in 1918. their son b. 1917. William then married Violet in 1925, .Both b.dates seem correct [until you see additions on register] I've found 2 children for them. 1925 & 28.

Listed as 11 Princes st. Margate- image shows no. 12.
    Both their names crossed through in red ink with "see page 24" which is the next image.
    William has (C1128) in the column for marital or otherwise.
    Violet -listed as Virge?? [why ? it's clear enough]- has MM in green ink in column next to her name.
    William & Violet.JPG After William's name line there are 3 blanked lines then Violet's line,
    following which are 13 blanked lines.
    violet in Margate.JPG
    I don't believe they had 13 children in the preceding 14 years, well maybe, whew!- but did wonder if perhaps evacuated children were housed with civilians in margate for a time.

any one with any clues please? Even if they are not my folk, I am curious.o_O

16. MollyMay

Strange, there are others on the first sheet also crossed through in red and the same instruction to 'see page 24'.
    I am pretty sure that the C1186 refers to the new date of birth entered above 10 Sept 86, and is just some sort of code for the reason why the dob has been changed.
    I have seen quite a lot of green ink used and It nearly always is when the register was used for entering married names etc. when the register was used as a basis for the NHS. I cannot even hazzard a guess at what 'mm' means though

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  17. Bay Horse

'MM' could be anything, I suppose. It's in the OVSP(or)I column, but maybe that's just coincidence, and likely to be something relevant to NHS records rather than the position in the household in 1939.

o_O

MollyMay and Ma-dotcom like this.
  18. Ma-dotcom

Matronly Mother?-- why do I get them? me who lives way over here.
    going to make ready for bed now. Recently found Ruth Hamilton- author. Thanks for writing Ruth :D

Bay Horse likes this.
  19. thalauafu

thalauafu R.I.P.

All that the 1939 Register has done for me, is to open a can of worms!

My parents were never married to each other! Both had been married previously, but neither had children. My mother discovered after her marriage in 1933 that she had married a homosexual and their marriage was never consummated. At the time, Mum worked for Lever Bros and used to have to go away to do demonstrations for them after they started selling detergents instead of soap powder. After one of these trips, Mum arrived back London to find that her husband had shot through to Switzerland with his male friend, having first sold their home, all of their furniture and all of Mums jewellery. Nice guy!

Dad had married when he was demobbed in London at the end of WW1.

I was told that his marriage was very unhappy, but that his wife, being Irish and a Catholic, refused to agree to divorce.

Supposedly Mum and Dad met in London during a bombing blitz, and they eventually set up home together, soon to produce me in 1943.

However, Dad was listed as still living with his wife Lily on the 1939 Register, but Mum was lodging with a family in Surrey, her name crossed out and the name LEA (Dad's surname) in capitals replaced it.

So, as I believe that there had been no bombing prior to the 1939 Register, when was my mother's name changed on the Register....and WHY? More to the point......just how long had they actually known each other?

Was the story that I was told a fairy story to cover up an affair?

It really doesn't matter to me as I know that Mum and Dad lived their lives happily together until parted by death.

However, what I thought was a cut and dried story, just adds more mystery!
    :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  20. MollyMay

Diana - your mum's name would have been changed afterwards when she married your dad. The register was used both to produce wartime identity cards and as a basis for the NHS. Lots of 'single' women had married after the 1939 register was taken and then it was updated with marriages, hence the crossed out name and her new 'married' name entered.

This is from the NA guide
    The records of the 1939 Register were subsequently used by the National Health Service at its inception in 1948 and became the NHS Central Register, transferred to the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC) in 2007.

The records remained with the NHS up until 1991 – therefore some changes of names between 1939 and 1991 are listed in the records. All of these names appear in the indexes so, in these instances, you can search for an individual using either their former or subsequent name.

Libby, Ma-dotcom, Bonzo Dog and 2 others like this.