1939 Register

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Nightryder, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Don't expect them to be in street order. I was doing some looking the other night and it got totally confusing. One page for my town had one record from each, Market Street, Mill Green, Norton Street and Church Street (in that order), to go from Market street to Mill Green you have to pass through Norton street and then Church Street (where they paid by the footfall?) Then there were the streets that they did one side of but the other side was another 10 pages away. I think whomever did the census was on a horse and cart, and the horse was very very drunk :D

Nightryder, Ma-dotcom and Bonzo Dog like this.
  2. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

Whoever gathered the information for the road I'm interested in appears to have either given up half way through or got lost in the allotments and fell into the river that effectively divide the road into 2 halves!! The road's close on 2 miles long and entirely residential apart from a sanatorium at one end and a small shopping complex at the other. Just 51 addresses are listed on the road search, meaning something like 250 have gone missing.

Bay Horse, Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  3. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

I couldn't find my great grandfather but I knew where he lived so put Shadeloes road in it came up yippee I thought..........duh no numbers and loads of pages
    tried a hit and then worked back oh goodie there were some numbers but not the one I wanted but out of curiosity I went to last page more numbers out of order so worked back and yes there was my ggrandaddy reason I couldn't find him under his family name was because instead of the name Death it was Deatk........oh we have definitely got to be devious to research:headbang:

Ma-dotcom, Nightryder, Findem and 2 others like this.
  4. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

Have just stumbled across an oddity. The road search for where my parents in law lived in 1939 gave 4 results. Two were for 2 other roads of the same name in the city. The remaining 2 covered where my in laws lived. One file with just the road name gave even numbered houses, the file with odd numbered houses had the road name and district. :confused: