Arnigeri

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Findem, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

Purely out of interest, I wonder how many have heard of that title or grading of a person, it is something to do with ye days of olde, Knights and esquieres (not my spelling), I found it in this baptism at Thaxted, Essex.

Thomas Smith Arnigeri baptised 12 Dec 1633, son of Thomas Smith Arnigeri and Joan Smith Arnigeri.

Looking for a definition of the title I tried a google and found links but couldn't find the title Arnigeri. In all the PRs I've searched in my time I have never come across anyone with that title.

Just to be clear I'm not claiming that Thomas Smith as the husband of Sarah Pamphelon, there are far too many Thomas Smith baptisms with a father named Thomas, John, Edward or William, those names being the names of the sons of Thomas Smith and his wife Sarah Pamphelon. In addition there being no pre 1666 PRs for Widdington, the real Thomas Smith could be lurking there never to see daylight.

One link that came up on Google was "a nigerian indian love story" o_O :D

Half Hour likes this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I found the word 'armiger' that is described as 'a person entitled to use an heraldic achievement'. So I would guess that they are entitled to use the family coat of arms..........just a wild stab in the dark.:rolleyes:

Bay Horse, Findem, Ma-dotcom and 4 others like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Just found this same question and answer on another forum......
    'Armigeri means the family had the right to bear a coat of arms. Knights generally had a coat of arms but other individuals who were not knighted could also be granted a coat of arms.'

Bay Horse, Findem, Ma-dotcom and 3 others like this.
  4. Archie's Mum

From Websters 1913 Edition.
    Armiger
    Ar′mi-ger

Noun.

[L.
    armiger
    armor bearer;
    arma
    arms +
    gerere
    to bear.]
    Formerly, an armor bearer, as of a knight, an esquire who bore his shield and rendered other services. In later use, one next in degree to a knight, and entitled to armorial bearings. The term is now superseded by esquire

Bay Horse, Findem, Ma-dotcom and 5 others like this.
  5. Findem

That's interesting, I wouldn't have expected someone with the surname Smith to have that title, that sounds rather snobbish doesn't it. :)

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  6. Findem

When you look at the words Arnigeri and Armiger together there is a similarity isn't there, I wouldn't surprise me if Arnigeri is a Latin or a French heraldic word and Armiger a later version of it. Since I can't claim that Thomas Smith as one of my lot I suppose it doesn't matter that much. :)

7. Archie's Mum

I have t found anything ArNigeri but Armigeri is a surname in its own right. Quite a few around.
    Perhaps Thomas Smith ArNigeri is just that, Thomas Smith ArNigeri and it could mean nothing at all.
    As his wife, Sarah also had the name after Smith, she could not have been an, Esquire or Squire which to me means that it is just their surname.

Findem likes this.